Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coiltek 10x5 versus CTX 06 Smartfind

Rick73

I have the CTX 06 now but would like to see what others think of the Coiltek. Those of you that have both, how do they compare.

I think they are very close in performance. Both do a great job in making extremely trashy sites huntable and both have good depth. I know I have gotten 6 inches with both (easily) but I have not done an extreme depth test comparison. If I didn't own either coil, I would probably choose the Coiltek just because it give a little more ground coverage. They are similar enough that I don't think you would need both.

One has to remember that the coiltek is ten inches long this well pick up more targets than the 6 inch round at any given time which makes it harder to isolate the target your trying to get .I find the 6 round a great coil in the junk less targets under the coil better id and isolation I would say . I don't have a coiltek and don't need one the 6 is just my favorite coil in the trash . As for depth I have found a few dimes at ten inches but most coins come in at 7 to 8 inches which is great for a little coil . Every year there's a couple of Indians or dimes that well hit at ten why I don't know but generally speaking the coils good to 8 in my soil moderate mineralization. As far as a bigger coil you have your 11 which came with the ctx it covers the rest of the bases the 17 would be nice but I won't swing a garbage can lid very long not at my age . sube

A hunting buddy got the Coiltek and used it 3 or 4 times, then reverted back to the 6" Minelab coil. I use the small coil almost all the time and switch to the larger factory coil whenever there is fill dirt to give me a bit of extra depth. The small Minelab coil is not good, it is VERY good!

As much as I like my 6" coil I am a little disappointed in the fact that it will not hit a 6" dime that is on edge slightly tilted. Maybe to the 1oclock at most.

I had found several silver dimes and loads of clad and wheats down to 7" but it wont hit that dime with any kind of dig me tone or id.

I will most likely never spend $350.00 plus dollars on the 5x10" because I just don't see it as separating better than the 6" but if any of you guys that have one could you take the time and try the 6" coin on edge and post results.
If it will hit it reliably I may at some point find a 2nd hand 5x10".

Thanks
FO

Just got the coil today, will test it out on Sunday's Club hunt at beach park. Will test grass, dry sand, wet sand and mud conditions and report back. I have the 6" to compare it to.

The Coiltek 10x5 is VERY good on land. Amazingly simple to separate and pinpoint targets along with surprising depth. It'll find cans at ten plus inches... And more. However, in even the shallowest of waters, the buoyancy is so strong you have to fight it heavily which rapidly tires the wrist. I may have to make sand bags for it. I am amazed that a company with such a stellar reputation overlooked this major drawback... Surely there's a way get some of the trapped air out, or water into the coil. Even my $139 Garrett small coil has no buoyancy. This is very upsetting as I'll now have to buy a 6 inch if I want a usable small underwater coil. Or use my old AT pro...

I have heard Coiltek is working on the flotation problem. Supposedly the are modifying the newer coils to "help" with the flotation. Anyone know if this is true? And, if they came up with a good fix how would a water hunter know if he was buying an older coil or a newer coil ?

Mine is only 2 weeks old, so no fix here. Did they hint at retrofitting or replacing the defective, floating coils? It's a great tool except for the floating.

Have the dealer place the coil in a bucket of water and not to bother sending it if it floats. The current model floats like balsa wood - not hard to notice the fault.

The CoilTek holes will tightly hold the Minelab bolts, but the CoilTek bolts are too small and allow wobbling. Bart at Big Boys sent me a free Minlab bolt and it works fine.

As to buoyancy, I need to note that in using the 17" coil under water today, I found it, too, has some buoyancy with the skid plate on. A more upright shaf position countered that just fine, but it's a pretty big coil to control in fast running water.