Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coins on edge - not good

Yes it was set on discriminate - I often check targets for iron by going in and out of all metal.
When I got the Equinox I had read of the on edge problem with it. It was thought to be an issue - not something common to many detectors. I have like 7 or so others and didn't notice it. I also read of guys saying they only dig targets that sound good in sweeps both up/down and sideways. So maybe gold isn't an issue - I'll try targets when I get home. With the old firmware I had to do a reset twice to get out of some questionable behavior. Might have to try another reset?
Watch my video and let me know if yours is same or not please.

Do a factory reset every time you go to a different site, keeping in mind which settings are Global, and which ones are Local (read the manual). Air target signals give you some ideas but aren't the same on buried targets. The signals from buried targets depend on soil composition among other factors. As I mentioned before, go out and do some detecting as you learn about it. It's like fishing in that if the baited line is not in the water you aren't going to catch anything.

Also, if you want a tone separation, once you learn the detector some more, try these settings from the Searchers Magazine. One of the comments is from a poster who emailed the settings to himself, and posted them on his answer. Write the settings on a piece of paper and try that sometime in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zND_b_ztR8I

On my updated Equinox 800. Tried a quarter on edge in the sand of a fresh water lake, and here are the results:

-Across the quarter, about 7-8" + above the quarter = nice and solid high tone, with an ID of 30-31
-Horizontal to the quarter, about 5" above = sort of broken high tone in the middle of the coil, BUT solid tone at the front edge under the coil at the 12:00 o'clock position, and the same solid tone at 6:00 o'clock under the coil's rear edge, with an ID of 27-28.

But again, a coin on edge has never been an issue for me or any experienced detectorist, simply because I double-check any high tone with a cross patter of the coil. But the test above shows me that the coin on edge thing has been resolved. Yes, Minelab will have to tune the software so that a pass of the coil horizontally over the target locks the signal with the center of the coil, but for me it's plenty as as is now.

1. My EQ800 has the new firmware. How worse was it before this??
2. Did you watch my video? The one in the link above. It shows you very likely will get no target indication on some coins due to their depth and orientation. You don’t know what you are probably missing. You seem to be saying you get a target indication at 12 and 6 oclock but is that by normal sweep or up/down sweep that we normally don’t do? If you get it on a left/right sweep and it goes away when the target is at the coil center how can that be good?
3. In regards to the videos you referenced, the first one is similar to mine and basically indicates rings will show the same issue. new firmware or old? The second video he doesn’t walk around 90 degrees and try again. I don’t know anyone who overlaps sweeps at the beach unless they are trying to locate a target of course.
4. I complained of vanishing targets in another thread. The target is 3” deeper than the top of the sand in the hole, with water covering it. Thing is I did rotate 90 degrees and sweep again and didn’t detect the target. Dug it anyway and there is a clad dime.

You asked me how my 800 was responding on coins on edge, so I already told you. To me a coin on edge has never been an issue as I explained above.

Agree totally with the " coins on edge marathon " . Too much attention seems to have been given to this . If the signal is sounding strong one way and weaker when quartered, then it"s a dig for me ! Same with the numbers---- a 10 readout could be a number of things---my last 10 was a stunning gold ring so get digging fellas and enjoy the hobby !:clapping:

You are missing missing the point. Coin a certain orientation is missed totally for a typical swing. You'd have to hit it by doing a cross grid pattern (90 degrees off). At most beaches a bogus weird ID low amplitude varying ID is ignored and we move on. A CTX would hit it. Maybe your detector is fixed with the new code - the vids I see insinuate both directions same good ID like the CTX, but I'm not seeing that with mine.
A toe ring or generic men's gold band could end up in any orientation at the beach. But one with a setting might be heavier at the setting and tend to rest vertical. No proof but makes sense. I'm really thinking something is wrong with mine - I am just looking for some of you to look at my video and try the quarter test on theirs. Tired of asking at this point. :)

I have read posts of people with issues redoing the upgrade. I don't know if you already did this, just tossing ideas.

I thought my upgrade went well but I'll first try a reset and then a reload.
Will wait for a call with Minelab/Jamie first though in case they want to see it as is.

mossy99 said:
Agree totally with the " coins on edge marathon " . Too much attention seems to have been given to this . If the signal is sounding strong one way and weaker when quartered, then it"s a dig for me ! Same with the numbers---- a 10 readout could be a number of things---my last 10 was a stunning gold ring so get digging fellas and enjoy the hobby !:clapping:
Like you, I concentrate on the tones, so if I am swinging the coil as I move forward and the front of the coil happens to pass over a coin on edge, it will produce a high and strong tone. The target ID is secondary to the tone, at least to me. Anyway, as soon as I hear that tone I am not going to ignore that target, so I either dig it, or do a cross pattern over the target with the coil. Something else, that cross pattern would pinpoint the target for me right in the center of the cross.

Yesterday I was amazed at the depth that the 800 picked two nickels and 2 dimes. I used a shovel to dig into the sand over 8", no kidding! I realized that very deep coins cause the detector to produce a sort of high tone but low volume squeal (?) that would not make any sense exceptt to those who coin shot silver coins. It's a tiny sound with a high tone, and I have no words to explain it. This tone is not a solid hit, but I always double and triple check it with a cross pattern, plus removing some soil or sand from the tap and then trying to get a more solid signal, which ofter is what results.

I learned to listen to the detector sounds long ago using a Teknetics detector, so at least to me the Equinox "sings" in a similar fashion as the old Teknetics :)

bklein said:
You are missing missing the point. Coin a certain orientation is missed totally for a typical swing. You'd have to hit it by doing a cross grid pattern (90 degrees off). At most beaches a bogus weird ID low amplitude varying ID is ignored and we move on. A CTX would hit it. Maybe your detector is fixed with the new code - the vids I see insinuate both directions same good ID like the CTX, but I'm not seeing that with mine.
A toe ring or generic men's gold band could end up in any orientation at the beach. But one with a setting might be heavier at the setting and tend to rest vertical. No proof but makes sense. I'm really thinking something is wrong with mine - I am just looking for some of you to look at my video and try the quarter test on theirs. Tired of asking at this point. :)

Several things wrong with your thoughts. Your quote : "weird ID low amplitude varying ID is ignored" I think you are looking at this machine the wrong way. The next time you are at the beach do yourself a favor and pick one tone and hunt in standard beach 1or2 whatever you like. You are way too hung up on tone and ID[/b]

THEN in one tone dig EVERY repeatable signal.

WHAT you should be doing is digging REPEATABLE signals. When you have hunted like this then come back and tell me how many "coins on edge" there are.

PS there is no way a CTX at this point will out hunt an Equinox. The extra time without fatigue on the Equinox will NEVER be made up by a CTX

Dave

midalake said:

Several things wrong with your thoughts. Your quote : "weird ID low amplitude varying ID is ignored" I think you are looking at this machine the wrong way. The next time you are at the beach do yourself a favor and pick one tone and hunt in standard beach 1or2 whatever you like. You are way too hung up on tone and ID]

THEN in one tone dig EVERY repeatable signal.

WHAT you should be doing is digging REPEATABLE signals. When you have hunted like this then come back and tell me how many "coins on edge" there are.

PS there is no way a CTX at this point will out hunt an Equinox. The extra time without fatigue on the Equinox will NEVER be made up by a CTX

Dave

Can you tell us how many times you are "surprised by what come out, by the sound you are hearing ? Just how many times do you suspect "something is on edge" in a 3-4 hr spin?

Dave

I want gold not coins. On the CTX gold has a limited range and sound . On the EQ it goes through a vast ID range so much so that it is never a sure thing or even an almost sure thing compared to foil balls, 2" foil/paper caps, pull tabs, etc. Silver is another story - you can bet on quarters and I know a guy that just goes around cleaning those out of parks.
My whole purpose with this thread is to share the fact that my detector isn't fixed as far as the coin edge thing is concerned. It might have been right after the upload but it looks like old code behavior now. I am convinced it will make a big difference if this is fixed as orientation will not matter as much. IDs will be more reliable and you can either listen for or accept/reject for what you want with more success. I am now in contact with Minelab and they are reviewing my video.

I hunt saltwater beaches near me all the time was out yesterday and I find quarters that are on edge give a very high number 34-35-39 and they are iffy but I move my sweep in a different direction and usually get the decent tone I always dig them ..

bklein said:
Mine never sees targets over 30.
I take it you have not hit a half dollar silver or non?

Not with this detector at So CA beaches. Haven't hit silver coins with this at all. Have found silver jewelry and chains. One gold chain but it read really crappy ID and just lucky I found it. Have found dollar coins but with the CTX. I guess guys at the hotel use em to tip. You can see in my other (on ground/beach) video the quarter ID goes down to around a ten if on edge - not higher.

Coins on edge definitely betyter with update as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xnm8SANn28&t=41s

u2robert said:
"coins on edge is way overblown and is getting way more attention then it should ever get, anyone that's been detecting for 10+ years knows this is a non-issue.

Big honker diamond solitary wedding rings sink straight up on edge.

Gentlemen, the NOX being able to hit targets on edge is HUGE! The last diamond solitaire wedding ring I dug on a beach sold for $3,400. A beach hunter who is a legend once told me his theory why so few of them are dug vs wedding bands is that they settle in the sand stone down straight up on edge due to the weight of the stone and their typical slim lighter gold bands. Lets say that's true, can you imagine how many of them are out there after piling up for decades vs the number of gold bands dug?

No that's not all. Forget "on edge" this is about target surface area, the ability of the NOX to get a hit on a target when there is only a small surface area exposed, small to medium GOLD CHAINS and gobs of them. Previously undetectable and piling up for decades on beaches. MORE...the dang near never dug gold diamond solitaire stud earrings, vs gobs of silver stud earrings.

These are high dollar targets worth hunting for when the beach conditions are right.