Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coins on edge - not good

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Gentlemen, the NOX being able to hit targets on edge is HUGE! The last diamond solitaire wedding ring I dug on a beach sold for $3,400. A beach hunter who is a legend once told me his theory why so few of them are dug vs wedding bands is that they settle in the sand stone down straight up on edge due to the weight of the stone and their typical slim lighter gold bands. Lets say that's true, can you imagine how many of them are out there after piling up for decades vs the number of gold bands dug?

No that's not all. Forget "on edge" this is about target surface area, the ability of the NOX to get a hit on a target when there is only a small surface area exposed, small to medium GOLD CHAINS and gobs of them. Previously undetectable and piling up for decades on beaches. MORE...the dang near never dug gold diamond solitaire stud earrings, vs gobs of silver stud earrings.

These are high dollar targets worth hunting for when the beach conditions are right.

Very good points. Also, in relation to your friends mention of rings on edge because of their heavier tops, don't forget that these rings also have larger amounts of gold or silver supporting the stones. It means that most detectors can still pick them.

Right after buying my Equinox 800 the first thing I did was to update it, so I can't tell if there was a problem with the old version. I tried the coin on edge problem talked about by the OP, and explained the results. In this case the coil traveling across the coin has no trouble whatsoever, and with the coil traveling parallel to the coin edge's the detector has some trouble detecting the coin towards the center of the coil. But it has no trouble whatsoever when the front of the coil travels over the coin, and also when the rear of the coil travels over the coin. In other words, the detector's signal and ID are as strong as ever near the front and near the rear of the coil. It all means that more than likely Minelab will further tune to software to solve this problem.

That said, coins on edge have never been an issue for me using one of the original Teknetics detector, and then a Sovereign. Besides that, I have never dug a coin that was on edge, nor do I plan to waste time detecting coins on edge.

This coin on edge, half dollar, is extra strange. The Nox hits on edge dimes and quarters fine, and they are way smaller than halves. What make the largest coins not read? Think about it. Logically, dimes should fail.

5900_XL-1 said:
This coin on edge, half dollar, is extra strange. The Nox hits on edge dimes and quarters fine, and they are way smaller than halves. What make the largest coins not read? Think about it. Logically, dimes should fail.

I will have to try a large coin to see what happens. But I bet that my 800 will react to it the same as with a quarter (solid signal and ID across the coin around 30-31, and then a solid signal and a smaller ID around 27-28 horizontally and by the front/back of the coil).

bklein said:
I want gold not coins. On the CTX gold has a limited range and sound . On the EQ it goes through a vast ID range so much so that it is never a sure thing or even an almost sure thing compared to foil balls, 2" foil/paper caps, pull tabs, etc. Silver is another story - you can bet on quarters and I know a guy that just goes around cleaning those out of parks.
My whole purpose with this thread is to share the fact that my detector isn't fixed as far as the coin edge thing is concerned. It might have been right after the upload but it looks like old code behavior now. I am convinced it will make a big difference if this is fixed as orientation will not matter as much. IDs will be more reliable and you can either listen for or accept/reject for what you want with more success. I am now in contact with Minelab and they are reviewing my video.

I'm with you on this one. My 800 is basically dig everything. Even sketchy one way or one direction signals. And the disappearing signal after one or two scoops is another issue.
My CTX is well balanced and I can swing it 5 hours at a time so for me, the target ID, and target trace among other things make it my go to saltwater beach machine.

[video]https://youtu.be/glmh4EJsCYA[/video]
I reloaded 1.75 code after a FW reset and it seems improved. There remains a null area for just one orientation of the quarter but it is picked up in other areas of the coil, whereas it was pretty much dead all over before for that orientation.

That's all I knew was probe the ground with a brass probe. Those were the days of 4" Indians and silver dimes.. Now, it's the shovel !

I put 3 videos showing 1.75fw pinpointing of a quarter and Kennedy half dollar. Still some issues there. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk8_yagCKag[/video]

That’s what coins on edge do. That’s why they are usually found in the side of the hole.
They are notorious for being hard to pinpoint and also skewing ID numbers.

Bryan

Found too much in my 45 years of detecting to start being concerned about coins on their edge. If I had dug all iffy, on edge type signals since I started detecting I don't think I would dug near the number of good targets because for the most part the iffy signals are trash and just a waste of time to dig.

g

Actually I think you are expecting too much out of your detector. Perhaps a good all metal beep and dig would be a valuable asset to you until you learned to appreciate just how well your nox can really do.
It, like you, does have limitations that must be accepted and learned from.

Good luck!

Geo

I have been detecting for over 10 years and have many other detectors besides the Equinox. For my beach detecting the Equinox IS a beep and dig detector.

bklein said:
I have been detecting for over 10 years and have many other detectors besides the Equinox. For my beach detecting the Equinox IS a beep and dig detector.

My apology. I did not realize.

Geo

No problem. You have way more years than I at this so you know where all the good stuff is. I just try and get what you missed. Hopefully those will be coins on their edge :)

u2Robert said:
"coins on edge is way overblown and is getting way more attention then it should ever get, anyone that's been detecting for 10+ years knows this is a non-issue.

*************************​

The forums are plagued by detectorists who should spend more of their hobby-time learning the COMMON-SENSE factors of metal detecting; (Try air-testing).....i.e waving a coin 'on-edge', at various ranges, and comparing the response at each range, with the coin parallel to the plain of the search-coil.....matt

p.s.….Anyone de-crying 'Air-testing',,,,,is low on comprehension, and certainly NOT savvy in the facts of the science involved in practical metal detecting..