Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Couple Frogs from a Diving trip to Costa Rica

Royal

[attachment 169234 frog1.jpg]

[attachment 169235 frog2.jpg]

[attachment 169236 frog3.jpg]

n/t

Again, great close ups.
I would been very tempted to try and sneak a few o' those home with me :ninja: :laugh:

Yes they will make you deathly sick through the slime they have on their skin!

n/t

There are over 40 species of Dendrobates and not all are deadly poisonous.
some of them,.particularly the blue ones are very popular in the pet world.
I can't recall which one but i believe it is either the red one or the yellow one that
is deadly even if handled.
A rule of thumb in the reptle and insect world is..the brighter the color the more poisonous.
They omit a venom from glands on thier backs when agitated.
The one that is deadly is comonly used by natives for hunting.
They will hold the frog wrapped in a leaf and extract the venom from thier back and apply it to a dart for hunting.
(hence the name, 'poison dart frog' )
This venom is so toxic that when injected into the hunters prey by means of a blow dart, it can kill the prey within seconds.
Some are no more toxic than our native bufo americanus , common toad, which also emits a 'venom' from glands on it's back.