Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX 3030 VS NOX IN Hunted Out Yard Update

Trashfinder

So i decided to go back today with the NOX, CTX, Impact since i now have a 17 inch coil for the CTX. I thought maybe since i had never hunted with the 17 inch coil i might find something deep. Found a target that was bouncing 12-40 , 13-45, 12-44 and in between those numbers. Said was at 10 inches. Pulled out the Impact and it was hitting 65-71 bouncing. Grabbed the NOX 800 and i got a NON BOUNCING 14 rock solid! From my 5 hours experience it would have to be a pull tab as that is all i have ever dug with a 14. It read 3 bars down , where the CTX was saying 10 inches. Cut the plug and at 6 inches i found an iron screw that was screwed into a solid threaded piece of aluminum about the size of an aluminum arrow. It was about 3/8 inch long.

Mode i was in on impact , it probably should have been a zinc penny. The ctx, i would have guessed it was a wheat penny and depth was way off. Nox basically nailed it , it was mostly aluminum and was about the right depth as it said it was.

I also never found another target the NOX missed with the CTX and 17 inch coil, and NOX never missed the target the CTX found as i would never have dug the number 14 as aluminum in the first place.

Again the NOX was impressive!

Trashfinder,I’m glad you’re enjoying the new machine. I wish you could come hunt with me.

Thanks for the report! Very encouraging for sure!

Very accurate, and boy does it love nickels. If it reads 13, or bounces from 12 to 13, its usually a nickel. If its 13-14, alum trash.

yep found out quickly pulltabs lock in pretty well at 14... but some rings do also lol

I find that the Equinox works very well in trashy areas despite the size of the coil and is very accurate with target ID, Impressed.

bigelow said:
yep found out quickly pulltabs lock in pretty well at 14... but some rings do also lol

Dang it! You would have to mention that! Being in a yard i should have dug them, since there really was not very many of those in the yard.

IDXMonster said:
Trashfinder,I’m glad you’re enjoying the new machine. I wish you could come hunt with me.

If i ever get to retire i would drive and hunt with you , i like meeting people and learning from others.

sgoss66 said:
Very interesting report, trashfinder!!

VERY interesting.

Steve

Steve we are not very far apart to hunt with each other,,,,, but i retract my impact challenge hunt we talked about earlier! I would still do the hunt but i lost some of my confidence in the outcome:surrender:

Not trying to toss a rock or get in a whizzing contest but three times I have taken the 'CTX' behind the 800, and other guys with Pros, F5, F75, and e-trac, and we missed stuff. Yesterday the CTX got a spill of 14 pennies and a clad dime. several wheats and zincs, and a small silver Peace ring, that we all missed! Last week I got a '50 quarter stuck to a wheat, a war nickel and an 1898 O dime that we missed. Heck, we all miss stuff as we come back at a different direction, sweep speed, raines, whatever, and we find stuff we missed on the previous hunts at the same places And that is totally normal. All those were about 8-9" deep in muddy soup. I think with more time on the 800 I probably will be able to slow down a bit more, and hopefully I wont miss those deep iffy ones. My brain doesn't handle clutter (multiple signals) very well, so I need more time and a slower speed to actually hear and recognize what the machine is telling me.

Trashfinder said:

If i ever get to retire i would drive and hunt with you , i like meeting people and learning from others.

Likewise,especially the “learning” part. Guys who have been hunting a long time with many machines seem to have accumulated certain tricks which can apply to several machines,but if the Equinox IS the new trick,then I’d like to know that too. Results over time NEVER lie.

jas415 said:
Not trying to toss a rock or get in a whizzing contest but three times I have taken the 'CTX' behind the 800, and other guys with Pros, F5, F75, and e-trac, and we missed stuff. Yesterday the CTX got a spill of 14 pennies and a clad dime. several wheats and zincs, and a small silver Peace ring, that we all missed! Last week I got a '50 quarter stuck to a wheat, a war nickel and an 1898 O dime that we missed. Heck, we all miss stuff as we come back at a different direction, sweep speed, raines, whatever, and we find stuff we missed on the previous hunts at the same places And that is totally normal. All those were about 8-9" deep in muddy soup. I think with more time on the 800 I probably will be able to slow down a bit more, and hopefully I wont miss those deep iffy ones. My brain doesn't handle clutter (multiple signals) very well, so I need more time and a slower speed to actually hear and recognize what the machine is telling me.

I am one of those crazy guys that when i am done with a place, i can walk away knowing i might have left something ,,, but it will be very little. I am methodical and slow, grid from many different angles. I have 4 buckets of trash items i need to sift through from last year cause i dig ever iffy signal. One reason i have owned so many machines is because i constantly think i can find something i missed with the other. I know it is a tad bit too soon, but from just the 6 hours i have with the Nox 800 i finally might quit buying so many machines! It is looking like this machine could be my do it all for me and give me the confidence to think i left very little behind.

I agree we all miss stuff, but what i pulled from that yard that i had hunted many times with the safari,etrac, ctx was substantial to me. Time will tell, but i already know what detector i want in my hands the next time i hunt!! And remember i was as big a skeptical as there was speaking out before NOx was released.

I like to say, "Its not so much what you've done as what you've done about what you've done..." Tfinder you are a man I respect! But I am not sure you need to put that on your resume or headstone.

pasttom said:
I like to say, "Its not so much what you've done as what you've done about what you've done..." Tfinder you are a man I respect! But I am not sure you need to put that on your resume or headstone.

Thanks Tom, i don't like it when i get it wrong , but i will come back and eat crow and admit that i was! I thought it was a little bold when Minelab said what they did, but they just could be right. I guess time will tell, whether it obsoleted my other machines ,,,, i can say, i know what i will grab if i got it charged up lol!

Having used the Etrac for awhile (my favorite) and now starting to use the Equinox 600 (a few sessions in places I have hunted with the Etrac), I can say that while I don't think the Equinox will replace the Etrac, it is fun (light and bright) and has certain separation advantages in trashy ground. From what I have heard, I might feel the same way with a Deus. In spite of Minelab's gobbledygook describing the Multi-IQ technology, I can't help thinking functionally it is really streamlined FBS using a defined set of frequencies, with a faster chipset, more modern features (BT aptx, etc.) and a better contrast LCD panel. Otherwise, it seems dumbed down a bit in terms of the information it provides (no dual numbers, less accurate depth). That's not a criticism. For the price, the Equinox offers a lot; but as Minelab pretty much says, it is probably designed as a Deus/Impact killer and not to supplant the Etrac/CTX. For that, we'll probably have to wait another few years. Of course, if enough people start buying the Equinox instead of the Etrac or CTX, Minelab may have to move up the timetable.