Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ctx and big silver :shrug:

Anyone with more experience than I have an explanation???
I have seen our Canadian coins on or near the surface not pinpoint correctly... they null out.

It sounded like in an open disc pattern he saw it. So makes me wonder if his disc pattern was incorrect???

My two cents.

1st pattern had a one square line top to bottom on the 50 line, one square 1/2 way across the top from the 50 line back well too half way, that bottom right square blanked out and a one square line accorss the bottom, the ring was not hitting in that pattern.

2nd pattern has a one square line across the bottom of the screen that's the pattern it picks the ring up in.

I will add the stock silver and high trash pattern also does not make a sound on this ring.

I set the 1st pattern to stop iron rap.

ctx is a different machine to the etrac , put simple it try's to turn iron in to silver and well maybe the size of the ring and the pure silver content couldn't rap that last line the one square line at the 50 line., to turn it in to silver.

but open up the screen and it hits the ring so makes sense to me, but why or why not maybe not so important other than to know it does it and leaving the screen open accept for that bottom line all big silver will come through.

etrac hits this coin with disc, so maybe the iron to silver thing is right who knows, nobody really knows how these things work except minelab.

anyway thought I would share maybe it helps someone , if not no bother it helped me :biggrin:

AJ

AJ you have good sight!
I was trying to see his disc pattern, but with him moving the detector back and forth so fast, I couldn't make it out.
One thing I was thinking, maybe his ground balance was off a bit.
I'm not sure about the 3030 but on my V3i, when the VDI's are off a bit, I take a moment and ground balance the detector.
Thanx for your post!
Getting to understand what a detector is telling us, is critical to our success.
In fact I seem to recall someone's tag line states something to that effect...... A person can have the best detector in the world, but if you don't understand what it is telling you, you will not be very successful.

gabbyhayes it was me who did the vid :biggrin: so I know the disc pattern LOL

not to worry though its all for learning me included.

no need to GB the CTX in my ground, there was no iron in the ground either so ?

I only took the vid with my ph. so its hard to hold all the things at once and with the light blue on the white back ground its hard to see the disc pattern anyway, that's why I explained the disc pattern back up there.

bit scary really the way it misses the ring.

and yeah I talk funny :rofl:

so if it helps anyone that's good hey :biggrin: after all that's why we have these forums.

thanks for the feedback.

AJ

That is scary!!! There is no way the detector should be fooled by silver.
As I stated earlier the CTX doesn't like modern Canadian clad, but it is mostly steel so I can understand that.
But to miss silver!!! Definitely something to think about.

I normally don't pay any attention to people's finds, as I use this forum as a source of information to help me learn my detector.
I don't have the luxury of hunting with someone that has alot of experience or expertise. I'm pretty much the only person in my area that metal detects so I rely on the forums to help with my questions.
When you admitted that the video was yours, it made me laugh....a good way to start my day.....smiling
Thanz Again.

yeah bit of a worry isn't it being tricked by some big round silver.

yeah geese hope we don't get the Canadian mint to make our coins which wont happen our 1 & 2 $ coins are 92% Copper core – 6% Aluminium – 2% Nickel coating so ring in at the zinc level in compassion to US coins.

for the most part if I put up finds I will put up settings as I am here to learn also and share my learning with others, otherwise its just show and tell and pats on the back and that helps no one except the pattie , unless I am showing some aussie coins then most people on here don't care or need to know, but my main hunting is for park gold and if I put that up I share the settings, as gold is gold where ever its found.

that's good you got a smile out of my poorly made vid and my accent :bouncy: keep saying I need a camera man well would prefer a woman and a director but no takers so I do my best if I need to do a short video to make a point.

but hey we are all here to learn from each other its why I use this forum it has the biggest user base and well I take what I need and leave the rest.

AJ

this stuff around big silver peaked my interested to I scanned our silver crown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_(Australian_coin) come in at 01-38 now I am not software programmer but I would have thought a big silver coin would read 12-48 or something.

so with recent events around the ring and now the silver crown I would think the next software update is a big silver fix really we buy these things for the most part to hunt old silver coins and well seems a bit of tweaking could solve this problem the ctx has with big silver .

what are the old US silver dollars reading at ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_coin_(United_States)#Early_dollar_coins what is the biggest silver coin that could be found in the US what numbers are they reading ?

AJ

Depending upon target separation mode, large silver can come up either in your 0/40's or 12/40's... I have found large silver rings but haven't seen them null out as shown.. But, I haven't done testing like that either with rings

AJ,

What target separation mode were you using? High Trash or Low Trash may give readings of FE 1 or 2 and CO 49 or 50 on large silver. If you were using one of those, try going over the ring again in Ferrous Coin. I think the detector will pick it up, even if the 50CO line is blocked out.

Cheers,

-Ken

I think part of the issue here is the use of the 6" coil, and the large ring laying on the surface. It's a lot easier to get an overload signal using the 6", so I could see a large ring being that close might skew the FE-CO numbers up to the top corner. I did notice that the detector had no trouble sounding off, once he put it in a pattern that accepted where the ring IDed.

ken
it was in Ferrous Coin

AJ

kittlitz said:
AJ,

What target separation mode were you using? High Trash or Low Trash may give readings of FE 1 or 2 and CO 49 or 50 on large silver. If you were using one of those, try going over the ring again in Ferrous Coin. I think the detector will pick it up, even if the 50CO line is blocked out.

Cheers,

-Ken

1st noticed this with the 11" coil , I think I can remember digger talking about big silver couple years back, anyway if no one else has experienced this then I will just use what I have discovered to help me, and leave it be!

that ring was ID ing at 42 with 50 blocked and with no sound open the 50 line and same place 42 with audio.

I have put this all out there nothing else left for me to do :biggrin:

AJ

Jason in Enid said:
I think part of the issue here is the use of the 6" coil, and the large ring laying on the surface. It's a lot easier to get an overload signal using the 6", so I could see a large ring being that close might skew the FE-CO numbers up to the top corner. I did notice that the detector had no trouble sounding off, once he put it in a pattern that accepted where the ring IDed.

just was throwing this info out there for anyone who might like to test big silver on their ctx that was all, I have learnt something and its helped me not to miss big silver.

so will leave anyone who feels so inclined to do their own testing. :biggrin:

cheers

AJ

amberjack said:
1st noticed this with the 11" coil , I think I can remember digger talking about big silver couple years back, anyway if no one else has experienced this then I will just use what I have discovered to help me, and leave it be!

that ring was ID ing at 42 with 50 blocked and with no sound open the 50 line and same place 42 with audio.

AJ

Well crud, I will have to play with some settings to see if I can get any of my big silvers to re-create this.

Jason in Enid said:
amberjack said:

AJ

Well crud, I will have to play with some settings to see if I can get any of my big silvers to re-create this.

:biggrin: just looking at the US silver dollar pretty close in size to the crown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_(Australian_coin) US $ bit smaller but the crown comes in at 01-38 not where I would expect it too what do those old silver $ read?

pays to be on the ball I think with this detector it has a few quirks that's for sure.

try a 999 1oz silver coin if you have one see what that does?

it still is a great detector but I wouldn't want to miss something nice cause I didn't know about these things.

I don't have a 8 reale to test they are pretty rare here but they are around anyone got numbers for those?

thanks!

AJ

amberjack said:
Jason in Enid said:
amberjack said:

AJ

:biggrin: just looking at the US silver dollar pretty close in size to the crown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_(Australian_coin) US $ bit smaller but the crown comes in at 01-38 not where I would expect it too what do those old silver $ read?

pays to be on the ball I think with this detector it has a few quirks that's for sure.

try a 999 1oz silver coin if you have one see what that does?

it still is a great detector but I wouldn't want to miss something nice cause I didn't know about these things.

I don't have a 8 reale to test they are pretty rare here but they are around anyone got numbers for those?

thanks!

AJ

Change your operating mode and the numbers will change. HighTrash causes US silver dollars to read as 01-38/01-42 range. FE-Coin they read as 12-42. I have some 999 silver rounds (same size as dollars) I'll do some testing tonight to see if they ID differently than the dollars.

After making a new High Trash program last night I tested it on a silver half dollar to make sure it would pick it up, and it did.
Then I stacked a few silver halves on top of each other and the CTX just blanked out.
It could read two stacked but not three.
My 1 line was open from about 30 to 50 if I remember correctly.
After that I tested my FE Coin and it did the same thing!
I thought we only had to worry about the HT and LT for big silver.
Anyway the only program I had that would sound off on the stacked silver was my Ground Coin program.
I didn't have time to mess with it anymore so will try to go back in and do some tweaks later today.
Hate the thought of missing a small cache of silver in someone's back yard.
Bryan