Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ctx and big silver :shrug:

Jason in Enid said:
No, TR's SUCK! There is a good reason why they went extinct overnight when the VLFs hit the market.

Well, even today they don't actually "SUCK" in non-mineralized ground, but even the slightest hint of mineralization does cause them to fall miserably flat on their face...depth wise. :)

I was never so disappointed as when I moved to Colorado (back in 1980) from the wonderful soil of the midwest...only to discover my T/R machines no longer had any depth. :(
There were/are places I couldn't even pick up a coin on top of the ground...so now they mostly sit in storage.
(Although I do sometimes take out a VLF/TR just to keep my 'reverse discrimination' chops up to date.)

And yes, when the first VLF discriminators hit the market, I was one of the first in line to buy one. :)

HH,
mike

amberjack said:
that is interesting findings there those TR's do well in iron too ? maybe we have gone backwards :biggrin:

it has been a learner for me to keep an eye out for those 01 type numbers never know what's hiding there :unsure:

thanks everyone for joining in and please post up any other findings all helps us all find more goodies !!

AJ

AJ,

You are most welcome. :)

TR's do indeed do extremely well in iron. Most TR's will embarrass modern machines in a nail-board test.
The heck with putting the nail close to a zinc penny...you can put the nail directly on top of the penny...sometimes two nails...no problem at all.

As Jason pointer out however, once you add even a little mineralization to the ground, detection depth quickly suffers.
And that did indeed kill off the T/R units overnight.

It's one of the reasons I find the CTX so awesome...I've hunted with about every detector made, starting with a BFO in 1973...and I've seen their limits first-hand.
I fully understand how amazing the tech behind the CTX is, and can really appreciate how it will allow us to go deep in almost any soil condition, and still give us so much (mostly) accurate information.
(And even adjust compensation for the trash and/or mineralization to make it even easier.)

I certainly don't think it's perfect in every way, but compared to the older machines the CTX is a space shuttle compared to a Spad. :)

HH,
mike

yeah i seen a nail board test with a TR it kicked butt, never used one so i don't know how they work in the ground, i know my uncle used to walk the beach detecting late 60's early 70's guess he was using one, never told anyone what he found, so am guessing he did pretty well probably the only one doing it as well would have had a field day !!

yeah pulled a shilling out of a hole with a 4" nail that was rusted no end and the amazing part really is this little park had emi plus happing and was still sitting on 17 ish + 3 so yes minelab cop a bashing because they have no common sense but they sure know how to build electronics that nobody can match for old silver in parks, and well i will be keeping mine, it works !!

thanks for the feedback on the big silver and TR's.

AJ