Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ctx and big silver :shrug:

I tried several programs including high trash on a 1959 Canadian silver dollar.
Iffy for sure,especially if it is on the surface.
Could definitely be missed since the audio chirped at best.
More testing required.
Gonna try this on my other detectors.
This is concerning..... My tests were with the 10" coil since that is the only one I have.

the good thing is I am not going nuts thanks fellas, the bad thing is this large silver thing, i stay tuned to this space see what others are finding, not sure if we as users can fix this?

AJ

kittlitz said:
AJ,

What target separation mode were you using? High Trash or Low Trash may give readings of FE 1 or 2 and CO 49 or 50 on large silver. If you were using one of those, try going over the ring again in Ferrous Coin. I think the detector will pick it up, even if the 50CO line is blocked out.

Cheers,

-Ken

Yeah like I said right before you.. Separation mode....

I did some more testing with a stack of 3 silver half dollars.
The only Seperation mode that will detect them consistently is Ground Coin.
My FE Coin will show a nice 12-45 spot on the screen but is silent..
Even with only one line rejected across the bottom.
My HT mode with the top corner completely open gives an occasional blip.

I had some late work come in so I didn't have time last night, but I have a pile of silver with me at work today, so I will play with some bench-testing and see what responses I can get or not get.

OK I just did some testing with interesting results. Testing was done with factory pro-coil only. I tested a single Silver Dollar, a 3 stack SD and a 10 stack SD, single 999 1 oz round, 3 stack 999 and 10 stack 999, 2 size 12 sterling rings (one thick, one thin) and a heavy silver bracelet (solid "C" shape). I tested High Trash and Fe-Coin and GC.

HT Fe-Coin GC Target
01-42 12-42 NT Silver Dollar
01-35 12-42 NT 999 round
11-46 12-45 NT thin ring
06-46 12-45 NT heavy ring
everywhere everywhere NT bracelet
01-35 12-42 12-42 3 dollars (stacked, scanned on end)
01-36 12-40 broken 3 999 rounds (stacked, scanned on end)
broken broken broken both SD and 999 10-stack, scanned on end

Note, any time I spread out the mass of silver dollars or 999 rounds, even slightly they read clear. It was only when stacked and read across a single coin face that the signal broke apart.
Sorry, I cant stop the forum software from cramming everything together

Jason,

Thanks for doing those tests...you just saved me a bunch of time I don't have right now. :)

Much appreciated effort,
:)
mike

Well, I just finished up a quick test using a single stack of 6 silver dollars on a handful of machines including:

Minelab CTX (6-inch coil)
Fisher CZ-3D (10.5")
Fisher CZ-7a (8")
Fisher CoinStrike (10.5")
Fisher ID Edge (5")
Troy X5 (7")
Troy X5 (dd)
Whites Eagle II SL90 (9.5")
Tesoro Tejon (9x8")
Wilson ATD (stock)

Here's the kicker:
For the most part, they ALL had issues with the 6 stack reading on end.
Reading on end gave more accurate IDs, when they did hit, but it was almost as though the coils were 'bogging down' trying to get an eddy current to form in the target.

They all preferred reading the stack from the side, BUT...it always pushed those IDs down to near/below the screw cap range. (32-34ish on the CTX)
Which on most machines put it in a disc'd out area. Much, much lower ID than you'd ever expect to find silver.

The CZs seemed to be an exception, and didn't seem to lose quite as much depth and/or id from the 6 stack.

The old faithful Wilson ATD was also able to easily detect the stack, even with disc turned up to screw cap...but it did lose some depth.

On the other hand, running my Tejon as I normally have disc set up for coins...and I would have missed it as junk.
The Troy's were only a little better than the Tejon. Using the zinc check, and target gone and/or flakey.

I think the bottom line (for me) is that regardless of the detector you use,
If you don't dig most non-iron signals, you're leaving good stuff behind. (Maybe even big silver.)
If you're looking for a cache, there's no telling where the TID will read. (Which is why experienced cache hunters use all-metal and listen for the target size.)
And as far as we've come with visual displays, it's still the quality/shape/size of the signal that is perhaps far more important than any detector's TID.

hh,
mike

Edit - If I can find the time, I'll try a few more...including a CTX with the 17" coil, a Teknetics MK1 and some other vintage machines.
(Quite frankly, I don't know why I haven't done this before.)

Thanx Mike for taking the time to do this testing. Very interesting!!!

AJ
Just double checking if this was the disc. pattern that misses big silver?

Gabby, only one in your atea that detects??? You live on the moon? Good for you! Takes the " already been picked" out of the equation.

Apparantly there was a guy back in the seventy's that was an avid detecorist. I think he got most of the old silver coins,though I still find a few.
I've seen the odd person that does it occasionally, but I think after a few hundred pull tabs and bottle caps they get discouraged.
Because our modern clad in essentially steel you can't discrimnate iron so you end up digging more than your share of junk.
I enjoy the hobby for more than the monetary rewards.
It's a hobby that is relatively inexpensive, good for the mind and body, and most of all Fun!!

I assume your talking Canada? I just had a friend pass that had an old farm in the Amish area sbout 2hrs NW of Toronto. Didn't get a chance to detect his property, bit it sure looked like it holds old silver. Take care and good luck!
Thx,
Mike

Yup I'm in Canada.
If you use a standard coin program up here you won't find much modern clad.

gabby,

I once found a toonie down here in a Colorado playground. If I recall it was around 32-33 conductive.

What caught my eye was that in high-trash (not in fc, btw), it moved the ferrous number up (physically...lower numerically) toward the top of the screen...maybe 7 or 8?

That would definitely make it trickier to hunt, but I'd love to have 1 and 2 dollar coins to hunt here.
The best we can hope for (typically) are quarters and the occasional ring, if hunting playgrounds.
(Which I still do occasionally...but usually only on the way back to the truck, as I'm leaving.)

mike

Well, I haven't had a chance to dig out some more VLF's to test, but I did test a few vintage T/R discriminator machines:
(I wanted to satisfy my curiosity...and they were easier to reach)
C&G(Tesoro) Wildcat
A.H. Pro, Pro 2 , Super Pro
Richard Ray Phantom, black model and a blue model.
D-Tex CK-20

Bottom Line...T/R discriminating machines LOVE big silver. A lot.

It's apparently only the motion discriminating VLF machines that stutter with big silver.

When I'm not so busy, I'll try to dig out a few more modern VLFs to test to see if there's anything unexpected, but the VLF's I've tested so far have (at least some) issues with correctly identifying big silver.

So it's not just the CTX.
:)
mike

that is interesting findings there those TR's do well in iron too ? maybe we have gone backwards :biggrin:

it has been a learner for me to keep an eye out for those 01 type numbers never know what's hiding there :unsure:

thanks everyone for joining in and please post up any other findings all helps us all find more goodies !!

AJ

amberjack said:
that is interesting findings there those TR's do well in iron too ? maybe we have gone backwards :biggrin:

it has been a learner for me to keep an eye out for those 01 type numbers never know what's hiding there :unsure:

thanks everyone for joining in and please post up any other findings all helps us all find more goodies !!

AJ

No, TR's SUCK! There is a good reason why they went extinct overnight when the VLFs hit the market.