Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ctx and sunray headphones

Downdeep

I know this has somewhat been covered before...and I read most of it, but I came away with no clear answer.

Simple question. I want to use the Sunrays with the wireless module. Yes, I get sound and yes the machine audio goes off, as it would when you enable wireless. The volume though when plugged in to the wireless module is not good at all, even when settings are turned up full.

Will the adapter solve this problem? Yes, I know Sunray now makes ctx compatible headphones. I'm not prepared to spend the extra money yet.

Thanks,
Derek

Why dont you call Sunray?

I'm sure they'd be happy to sell me the ctx compatible set. I was hoping someone had real experience with this.

I have the same setup, I believe, that you're talking about....I have the none modified ctx sunray pro gold headphones and when coupled to the wireless module the volume is loud. If they're working fine when plugged directly into the ctx and not when using the wireless module, maybe it's a defective wireless module?

They don't work in the ctx any better. In which position do you have your switches on the headphones? If I have the right switch up I get no sound whatsoever, but they'vee been like that since day one on any detector I've plugged them in to. Maybe they've always been bad??

You're volume adjustment is different when the WM10 is used. I forget what page this is addressed in the manual but any headphone can be used with the remote. I have used GG, Killer Bs along with Sun-Ray pro golds and all work great. HH :minelab:

The volume adjustment settings come up different when wireless is enabled. Even turned up full, the headphones are difficult to hear. The koss headphones work flawlessly with either the machine or wireless.

Sounds like there definitely is a problem with the Sundays if others are using them with the wireless and are experiencing no volume issues. If someone that has them would tell me what position the switches are in or if it makes no difference, it would be very helpful.

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you.

I use a pair of 4 year old Pro Golds with my wireless module and have no problems whatsoever - loud and clear.

I think the problem might be elsewhere than the headphones. I have tried two pairs of SunRays with the CTX and they have volume to spare.......:shrug:

I also have a set of Pro Gold headphones that I got new with the CTX and my volume is very poor also. When I ask my dealer about it, he told me that it was normal, so I have just learned to live with it. I did buy a set of ear buds from radio shah a week ago and they don't have a volume control on them as the Pro Golds do, but they are much louder that the Pro Golds. I have to keep the switch on the right side flipped up for the to work and it doesn't seem to affect it as far as the switch on the left side. If anyone has a solution the this volume problem, please share it with us.

You can set up the volume in XChange2. Open the Universal Settings and set each of the 4 audio selections there. You will probably need to connect the CTX and then copy the Universal settings that are in the CTX to a folder in the XChange2 app. Then you can open and you can see what the settings are for each of the audio selections, and then do any edits you need. Once done it can be copied back into the CTX. I use the WM10 module and old SunRay headphones with the settings shown in the picture with no problems.......Good Luck..HH

Ah hah! I may have found that there is a definite problem. I used a continuity meter to check between the sections on the plug. Going from the tip numbering each section 1, 2, 3. I have continuity between 1 and 3 with the switch down. I flip the switch up and I have no continuity between any sections. On the koss headphones I have continuity between sections 1 and 2 and sections 1 and 3.

Looks like they'll be going back to sunray.

I use them with the wireless module and have had no problems. MAKE SURE YOUR VOLUME IS ADJUSTED CORRECTLY ON THE CTX AND THAT YOUR SWITCHES ARE IN THE CORRECT POSITIONS! I know that there is a couple of positions on the phones that drastically cut the volume. Like the others have said, the CTX has two different volume modes. One for the wireless and one for without the wireless.

Do the headphones work OK when plugged directly into the CTX, you were not real clear about that? If so, they should work OK on the WM10. Can you test any other headphones on the Wm10 to make sure the module is working OK? If you suspect something wrong with the SunRay, you can take the headphones apart to look for a broken wire to save you some shipping costs or repair expense if it is out of warranty.

Good luck

No difference Larry. I did post about the continuity issues I found. I will send them in, I'm sure the problem is in them and there are a few smaller details they can take care of while they have them. The warranty should be fine, I am the original owner and sent the card in when I got them.

There is a micro fine line if you look really close where the cups snap together, it is a little below the ear cushions. You do not have to take the cushions off and a sharp knife might help you separate the cups, this will not void your warranty.

Guys, I have checked my CTX and I definitely have the wireless turned on. I have tried my Pro Golds with other detectors and it works fine and will blow your ears off. I also tried another set of stereo headphones with the WM10 and have the same low volume problem. When I hook up my underwater Grey Ghost headphones directly to the CTX the volume is just a little bit louder than with the WM10 but not allot and it doesn't matter if the wireless mode is turned on or not with the waterproof headphones.. . This poor volume is Not what I have been use to with my Whites detectors at all but I just assumed that this was a minelab thing, since my dealer didn't think that there was anything wrong, when I ask him about it shortly after I got the CTX.. Now you have me wondering if there is a problem with my WM10 unit. I have my Pro Gold volume knob turned all the way up and the switch on the left can be switched up or down, it doesn't seem to matter, but the switch on the right has to be switched up to work. If it is switched to down position, you wont hear anything at all.

Refer to C&RHunter's post on the first page of this thread.

Are we talking about audio volume being low with a target response or the audio volume being low when no target is under the coil (the background hmmm)? The actual Volume controls are for controlling the amplification and volume of an audio response from a target. The threshold controls the background hmmm when there is no target under the coil.

If it's low audio with no target under the coil, check your threshold setting. That setting goes 1-50 (even though the revised Oct. 2012 manual, that I have printed, says 1-30). I have the older SunRay ProGold with two switches. I always use the WM10 module, in the CTX I have the threshold level set on 24 (just under half of max), volume control set on 22, and the volume control on the headphones are slightly below max, and the audio is fine. I keep both switches on the ProGold's in the up position, even though the right one is the only one that seems to have any effect. If the right one is in the down position, both the threshold and volume (target response audio) will be extremely low, regardless of the CTX Threshold and Volume control settings. On mine with the switch in the down position, the threshold set to 50, the threshold hmmm was barely audible. I have inadvertently flipped the switch down during a hunt. The first time it happened, I thought something had failed with my machine/headphone setup. But fortunately it was a false alarm, once I Checked the switches and realized what caused my problem, everything was good to go.....