Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX on gold chain

Roland58

I was watching some Youtube videos on the CTX and other machines and this particular video stated that a multi-frequency machine is not going to pick up a gold chain. What's the story on that? Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elpZY99S6I0

If it will pick up a ring, why not a chain? I'm going to have to conduct some tests myself on this one.......the chain was only 2 inches deep!!!

It's Misleading. While the FBS technology is not that great on gold chains other multi-frequency, like the White's DFX/V3i, do great. That video was done by a Deeptech/Blistool salesman and is a bit bias.

Now that being said, chains are hard for many detectors to pick up because the VLF technology looks at a chain as a single link rather than the mass like a ring. Frequency is the key to finding chains with a VLF machine.

DON''T believe everything you see on YouTube, especially detector tests. As Southwind said, it is the operating frequency that determines how well you can pick up fine gold, multifrequency or not.

I don't think I have ever seen a comparison video that at least some people call foul or bring up numerous reasons why it wasn't fair.
The trick is to watch these kinds of videos with an open mind and to use your own experience to be able to take away from it what will be helpful to you.
When I watch comparison videos I don't compare, too many variables between the detectors themselves, I just like to see how each detector performs in the situation and conditions it is tested in.

Dave

I've seen lots of articles about gold chains and metal detectors with different reasons of why they wouldn't sound off when a machine coil went over them. I once air tested two BBS machines and a Fisher CZ5 by just dangling a small link gold chain back and forth close to the coil on each, and didn't get a peep out of any of the three. About three weeks later I read about a Detector Club Meet near where I lived and grabbed the same gold chain and drove over. There were a lot of Detector Reps there and I tested the chain on just about all of the models available. The only machine that sounded off was a Tesoro Lobo. It wasn't a machine that I would buy for normal beach or land use, more of a speciality machine with the correct frequency I suppose. I have found chains with BBS and FBS machines since then, but unless they are bunched up, I don't think they don't usually sound off. I'll have to try the CTX with the same chain the next time I think about it.

so Southwind hit the nail on the head.

Thank you, gentlemen, one and all. I did find it odd, as I have found a silver chain with the CTX and I have found a portion of a gold chain with my F75 (not multi-freq, of course). I, too, will have to do some testing and see what happens with gold chains of varied link sizes and styles in an effort to draw my own conclusions. As soon as I am able to do so, I'll post back here with the findings.

Thanks again to all responders.

Stay safe and HH.

I took my gold chain off about 3 weeks ago and had my x-cal the sov-gt and garrett at-pro the at pro would hit it up to about 3 in. my minelabs did not make a sound even when I touched the coil.

Its interesting to hear these other stories. For me, I have found gold chains. I think its much better when they are bunch up. I have picked up the clasp too when the rest of the chain was very "iffy'. I am sure that I missed many chains and I also think finding a chain(or other) in sand is one thing and mineralized soil is another.

Ok, I used my CTX and my F75 and 4 different gold chains of varying weights. I excluded the pendants and tried not to get the clasps within range. I tried them balled up and simply dangling in front of the coil. Here comes the surprise. The CTX, regardless of what program I used or the settings only "chirped" one time and that was with the heaviest of the four chains balled up in the middle of the coil, virtually touching it.

My F75 gave off a good tone (16 TID) even on the finest of the four chains and that was while swinging the chain in front of the coil about 6" to 8" away (air test). It picked up the other chains even better, but, not with much greater depth, just a stronger signal.

The CTX was quick to sound off on the pendants, with the exception of a small gold cross.....the F75 clocked it.

I'm going to put the 6" coil on tomorrow and try the test again to see if the smaller coil will make any difference........I doubt it will. This really surprises me since I have got good strong signals from tiny pieces of foil or copper in the 4" to 5" range with the CTX.

Comments and/or comparisons welcome!!

Hey DG,
Thanks a million for that great article! I am going to run a LOT more tests with the CTX on different gold items to determine any signals I may get on the variety of items. It will be well worth it to test everything, not to mention, DIG everything!

Roland58 said:
Hey DG,
Thanks a million for that great article! I am going to run a LOT more tests with the CTX on different gold items to determine any signals I may get on the variety of items. It will be well worth it to test everything, not to mention, DIG everything!

I almost gave up on ever thinking I could find gold chains but after that article with Gary's advice and those awesome pics of those gold chains my faith was restored in the CTX.

Well, I tried the chains again this evening with just "air tests" and I wish I knew what settings he was using. I read a number of his articles and, although, there is some great information regarding when and where, he doesn't say anything about settings (at least, not in any of the articles I read).

My CTX chimes in solid on even the smallest gold ring I have here in the house, but, even on a balled up chain of decent weight, it remains silent. If you can get yours to respond to a chain, how about sharing some settings/methods with me.

Thanks,
Roland

Roland58 said:
Well, I tried the chains again this evening with just "air tests" and I wish I knew what settings he was using. I read a number of his articles and, although, there is some great information regarding when and where, he doesn't say anything about settings (at least, not in any of the articles I read).

My CTX chimes in solid on even the smallest gold ring I have here in the house, but, even on a balled up chain of decent weight, it remains silent. If you can get yours to respond to a chain, how about sharing some settings/methods with me.

Thanks,
Roland

What kind of gold chain are you using?....a higher content of gold OR less gold would be better. Try manual maxed out. Deep off fast off

All but the medium weight chain is 14K and it is 18K. I did have deep and fast on, however, after turning them off, I did not notice any difference. I haven't tried the 6" coil yet, but, I don't think that should make any difference either.

The ground is quite moist at this time and it is supposed to warm up a bit this weekend. I'm going to put the chains in a little plastic bag and put it in the dirt about an inch or two. Guess I better stick a flag by them....wife would appreciate me losing her chains in the back yard!! Would turning on seawater make any difference? We have a lot of red clay here. (Of course, my tests were all air tests).

Thanks.

Roland58 said:
All but the medium weight chain is 14K and it is 18K. I did have deep and fast on, however, after turning them off, I did not notice any difference. I haven't tried the 6" coil yet, but, I don't think that should make any difference either.

The ground is quite moist at this time and it is supposed to warm up a bit this weekend. I'm going to put the chains in a little plastic bag and put it in the dirt about an inch or two. Guess I better stick a flag by them....wife would appreciate me losing her chains in the back yard!! Would turning on seawater make any difference? We have a lot of red clay here. (Of course, my tests were all air tests).

Thanks.

There are so many "problems" with gold chains. First, you have to get something that will "recognize" the gold and cancel out the base metal. Being its a long fluid piece...makes it worse. Then, stick it in red clay....yikes. I have not even set up my replacement ctx yet but you should be able to get a hit on the gold. I would try getting the detector to register on gold in the air first and then go from there. I will hook mine up and see what I come up with. I would think seawater would make it even worse for detection. I will get back to you.

Best machine I've tested for gold chains is the AT Pro. It was able to pickup, and at good depth, gold chains with no clasp or pendents. Another piece of gold most detectors have problems with is the earrings. Even big earrings can be a challenge for most detectors. Especially if the earring is open or odd shaped.

I got a 10k gold chain yesterday...with the E=trac....called my buddy over ...his 3030 was in auto....did not make a peep....my e-trac has the Ultimate coil on it...almost seems like it heard it on the edge of the coil....

Thanks James,
If you are able to get a reading, keep track of the overall settings and let me know. I tried a few gold rings while testing the chains and even the smallest, thinnest one sounded solid in all metal (open screen), threshold at 23......other settings didn't seem to matter much. The rings hit perfectly at 12/16 and 12/18.