Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX on gold chain

The video reference showing my test trench is a simple and repeatable test. Actually the person using the CTX in this video (Jimmy) is a very experience user and he wanted to try the test out for himself.

The CTX is a great machine in many ways; picking up fine gold chains in dry sand is not one of them. I have tested the CTX, E-Trac and the Excalibur; none of these FBS machines were good at hearing fine gold jewelry.

But like everything else, there is a give and take. These high frequency machines may be great on the small gold but try taking them into wet salt water sand..... they won't touch the FBS machines.

Different machines for different circumstances. Two days ago the CTX did very well in salt water, here's the video:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVMBBwYIpY4[/video]

My 3030 does very well on gold in an open screen. The TID (Target Identification) of different size rings range up and down the spectrum. I have found a small gold ring that rang in at a solid 12-08 and other rings ring in the 12-30s. Here is a thread from the resource forum on gold ring TID numbers..... http://www.findmall.com/read.php?87,1740175 I found a solid white gold bracelet that weighs in at about an ounce that rings in at a solid 12-25. On the other hand I have found a 10k gold bracelet that rings in at a solid 12-45.

If you take into account what I said about the rings and gold bracelets, gold seems to be quiet unpredictable when the unknown is thrown into the mix. This is especially true for gold chains. To be sure though, gold seems to give off solid signals if there aren't to many factors impeding the signals. That's why if I get something like a solid 12-04 or even a 12-36, I dig it.

Hey great video and while I didn't not see any deliberate bias towards any detector used. I did see the tester not preforming the test equally. Not knowing the testers, perhaps they are not aware that multi frequency machines do require that the coil not be moved more than a few inches off center of a target to properly acquire a masked or tougher target like that of a chain. Single frequency machines have less tendency to do this and are affected to a lessor degree.
Commonly known as a wiggle. No one is ever expected to walk around doing just doing a wiggle during a hunt. So the testers swing during test are quite normal, but once a hunter gets a chirp that hunter would most likely stop to investigate, narrowing the search to the target and getting a better signal by lessening the length of coil passes..This is clearly evident at 7:30 through 7:52 with the AT Pro, the tester narrows the coil down till the machine can clear up the signal. This did not happen in most test. The coil was covering as mush as 3 feet during each pass over the target, with some narrowing of coil passes. Any detector does its best analysis of the unknown when wiggling over the target. It cleans it up so to speak, moving ferrous to one side and the know non ferrous to the other. This was certainly not the practiced equally for all detectors during this testing. Allowing the detector in and out of the field starts and stops the process. This tune and re tune caused by the coil leaving the field of the target greatly affects the results, in both single and multi frequency machines. Remembering that metal detectors don't punch down into the ground and find metal, but analyze what's under the coil including that of the dirt sand and separating what it sees. Now I can't be certain that this would have or would not have affected the results. And I am quite sure it wasn't done to deceive the viewers. I applaud the testers for taking the time to share these test as they provide great information to all viewers. Having used many of the machines use in the test,the bottom line is conditions always prevail and in the end the user makes the results happen.
IMHO BCNJ

Great post BC. Most detector comparisons are nothing more than entertainment for the experienced and misleading information for those that don't know better. .

AngelicStorm said:
My 3030 does very well on gold in an open screen. The TID (Target Identification) of different size rings range up and down the spectrum. I have found a small gold ring that rang in at a solid 12-08 and other rings ring in the 12-30s. Here is a thread from the resource forum on gold ring TID numbers..... http://www.findmall.com/read.php?87,1740175 I found a solid white gold bracelet that weighs in at about an ounce that rings in at a solid 12-25. On the other hand I have found a 10k gold bracelet that rings in at a solid 12-45.

If you take into account what I said about the rings and gold bracelets, gold seems to be quiet unpredictable when the unknown is thrown into the mix. This is especially true for gold chains. To be sure though, gold seems to give off solid signals if there aren't to many factors impeding the signals. That's why if I get something like a solid 12-04 or even a 12-36, I dig it.

All quite accurate but dont forget about your ground mineralization.....it can throw the numbers way off.

+1 BC, good post

Hey BC, thanks for you input!

As you know, when swinging at normal swing speeds, you look for a "blip" and then slow it down to see if it was a false signal or a target hiding next to junk. This is what happened between 7:30 and 7:52 with the AT Pro. The CTX simply will not recognize the target between two nails. In my test area, where coins are buried with iron, the end user does not matter. I have invited experienced people to the test trench with their CTX's plus I have been using FBS machines for almost 20 years and I can tell you no one is hearing that coin between two nails. Even when you know exactly where the coin is, the FBS machines will not hear the coin. There are single frequency machines that will hear targets in iron that FBS machines will not. This is not my opinion or personal judgment, its just how they work. I encourage my fellow CTX owners to take two good size rusty nails and place them on either side of a silver dime, then try any single high frequency machine (AT Gold, T2, G2, Vaquero,etc.) and compare.

Back to the topic of this posting :), FBS machines will not hear micro gold jewelry like the higher single frequency machines. I have done extensive testing in dirt and dry sand.

I love my CTX and use in the majority of my hunting environments but being an experience hunter yourself, you know there are specialty machines for specific environments. Even though the CTX is my favorite, I own several machines for a reason.

As soon as this frozen tundra of a winter lets up, I will be showing more tests and welcome your constructive feedback.

Thanks,

Carter

Buried Crap NJ said:
Hey great video and while I didn't not see any deliberate bias towards any detector used. I did see the tester not preforming the test equally. Not knowing the testers, perhaps they are not aware that multi frequency machines do require that the coil not be moved more than a few inches off center of a target to properly acquire a masked or tougher target like that of a chain. Single frequency machines have less tendency to do this and are affected to a lessor degree.
Commonly known as a wiggle. No one is ever expected to walk around doing just doing a wiggle during a hunt. So the testers swing during test are quite normal, but once a hunter gets a chirp that hunter would most likely stop to investigate, narrowing the search to the target and getting a better signal by lessening the length of coil passes..This is clearly evident at 7:30 through 7:52 with the AT Pro, the tester narrows the coil down till the machine can clear up the signal. This did not happen in most test. The coil was covering as mush as 3 feet during each pass over the target, with some narrowing of coil passes. Any detector does its best analysis of the unknown when wiggling over the target. It cleans it up so to speak, moving ferrous to one side and the know non ferrous to the other. This was certainly not the practiced equally for all detectors during this testing. Allowing the detector in and out of the field starts and stops the process. This tune and re tune caused by the coil leaving the field of the target greatly affects the results, in both single and multi frequency machines. Remembering that metal detectors don't punch down into the ground and find metal, but analyze what's under the coil including that of the dirt sand and separating what it sees. Now I can't be certain that this would have or would not have affected the results. And I am quite sure it wasn't done to deceive the viewers. I applaud the testers for taking the time to share these test as they provide great information to all viewers. Having used many of the machines use in the test,the bottom line is conditions always prevail and in the end the user makes the results happen.
IMHO BCNJ