Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX updates

Altamaha said:
Why would anyone design something to be upgradeable and then push the point in their advertising if they didn't plan on updating/upgrading it?

But they did release several fixes and an upgrade. Just because there isn't a new upgrade release evey month doesn mean there won't be anymore. Who the heck wants a machine who's functionallity changes every few months. Especially when we all know that with detectors when one function is changed it sometimes effects how other functions react to targets. Case in point the XP Deus.

Check out the XP Deus forum, which is a very good machine IMO, it's interesting how even though they have release many software updates there are always a number of people asking how to revert back to an earlier software version because they no longer like how their Deus sounds or reacts to targets. My point here is that just releasing a bunch of updates because everyone wants something different isn't always a good thing. It can turn what is a great detector into somthing that is actually no better, just different.

Just a quick comment about the clock on the CTX. It's amusing when I read all these comments about bad clock placement. I remember when the CTX first came out and how so mant people were commenting on who the heck needs a clock on a detector. Now I hear people commenting on how they can't see it because it's too small or covered up. Just shows the diversity of what is important to one CTX owner as compared to another.

Dave

crusty I don't think any of us want an update upgrade et cetera every month but maybe one a bit more than every 15 months or more

Southwind said:
I guess I'm missing the point of this thread. I never saw anything about promised updates.

Thats my fault, after a month of reading post on CTX I had the idea there was suppose to be something come out that didn't..... my mistake, but I'd never known without this post. :)

Larry (IL) said:
The point of the thread is a lot of hunters are going stir crazy and they have to vent.........:devil:

That would be me! trying to decide on my next detector.

GKMan said:
crusty I don't think any of us want an update upgrade et cetera every month but maybe one a bit more than every 15 months or more

I don't think we should think of updates in terms of time, but rather when a significant update that positively improves the CTX can be released. One that has been throughly tested by Minelab in all possible conditions.

Dave

Well Dave
surely by now they would have came up with something worthwhile. The reason I mentioned that clock was that it was simplest in my mind in terms of implementation.

I am not sure if you are around in the beginning to discuss it, but somehow shortly after the CTX was released they were able to implement the pin point lock.it just goes to show you that they can do updates but they haven't

At this point though I'm tired of discussing it so I'm going to try to avoid looking at this thread anymore and hope it dies..

Crusty said:
. Who the heck wants a machine who's functionallity changes every few months. Especially when we all know that with detectors when one function is changed it sometimes effects how other functions react to targets.

Crusty I think you're forgetting that updates wouldn't be forced on you! You could elect to keep your CTX at it's current level or go to Exchange and pick up the new updates, your choice!

Just a quick comment about the clock on the CTX. It's amusing when I read all these comments about bad clock placement. I remember when the CTX first came out and how so mant people were commenting on who the heck needs a clock on a detector. Now I hear people commenting on how they can't see it because it's too small or covered up. Just shows the diversity of what is important to one CTX owner as compared to another.

Maybe some people (as you point) didn't care but for a lot of us better clock placement was one of the first updates recommended. Enlarging the micro fonts on the status bar to make it more readable was another!

Altamaha

Rick, I'll add my little bit to what others have been saying. I don't know of any bugs in the CTX. Mine works fine. No unusual things happening.

It might not be of any interest to those who tweek lots of settings, I just hope whatever they are working on includes moving/enlarging the clock. It's a great thing to have, just can't see it too well.

harryhh said:
Rick, I'll add my little bit to what others have been saying. I don't know of any bugs in the CTX. Mine works fine. No unusual things happening.

That's fine, I was just wondering if something was broken but it seem no. So I got what I was looking for, a detector with no bugs. :)

sorry for all the edits, my phone auto-correct is possessed by demons.

The advertisement on page 1 of this thread reads "Software Upgrades" as in "new features" - NOT - "updates" as in fixing their "code mistakes". It then says quote, "Look forward to exciting new developments from Minelab". What was Minelab leading the consumer to believe?

Definitely save those ads as I'm thinking you may see them disappear very soon. We'll also see how much of an investment the CTX 3030 turns out to be based as advertised as "Upgradable" oh wait! or is it "Updatable?". lol. I do like the ring to "Future Proof Detecting!"

INSAYN said:
It would have been interesting if Minelab would have set the CTX like a video game.
As you got better, it could sense your use of time, settings, swing speed, targets identified and used this to open levels as you gained field time.

Sloppy first timers, or once a month hunters would pretty much stay in level one for a long time until they earned a new level via the field mileage, and/or criteria that showed increased target identification.

Motivated daily hunters would start picking up on the little things that make them a better than the average hunter, thus opening up to newer levels sooner that may have more personal options available to tailer it specifically to YOU.

Can you imagine the threads now?

What does it take to get past Level one?
Dang! I've been stuck on Level 3 for a year now.
Is there anyone here that has reached the golden Level 10 yet?

This was just a winter/snow filled thought, that I thought might add to more creative conversation than the whole "Minelab promised an upgrade" debacle. :ninja:

I wish this was an upgrade..... NOW!! :veryangry: ....
Just kidding. :pinnochio:

I have no idea of what level I would be at now, but I'm sure I'm at a higher level than I was in the past. Basically meaning my level is still rising on a daily basis. :ninja:

Southwind said:
I guess I'm missing the point of this thread. I never saw anything about promised updates. Yes they use the concept of being able to update the CTX as a selling point, but they didn't say they would produce regular updates. They offer updates when a bug is found or new functionality warrants an upgrade. Like Microsoft, they don't put out an upgrade because they change an icon or two. The selling point is that we don't have to send the CTX in for an update/upgrade/bug fix we can do it ourselves.

Take this as an example.....
Microsoft has come a long way. When we go out and buy that $300 computer or that $3000 500 Horsepower Laptop, these products are still upgradable. Follow this link A history of Windows if you are interested in how far an operating system can go. I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows Vista to Windows 7 due to my hardware being compatible to do so. There are many other computers capable of upgrading to the newest operating system as we know called Windows 8. Microsoft is responsible for these performance enhancements and interface changes as the supporting corporation. All it takes is an upgradable computer to do so. There is no additional hardware required if all is compatible.

Now, last I checked our CTX 3030s are a type of computer that is also upgradable. The supporting company Minelab, like Microsoft has the capability to upgrade our machines. All we want is upgrades for the same "CTX 3030 Operating System" we use. They can choose to overhaul the entire system to do such upgrades, but most of us would be satisfied with just tweaks to the software it uses. I am happy with my CTX 3030 either way. Like most of us, I think it would be nice to see some enhancements. My favorite would be to have a fifth bin to further audibly separate more specific targets.

Yeah... what he said ! lol

I just think Minelab advertised (hyped) a little to strongly about the CTX 3030 being upgradable to push their high price tag. Words like "Future Proof" and safe guarding your "investment" not to mention outwardly to "be on the lookout" for software "enhancements".

Don't get me wrong - I like Minelab and my CTX 3030. Just stating that some may feel that Minelab promised a sense of "insurance" against having to purchase another $2,500 machine in the next x number of years. It's now seems debatable.........

Someone did mention that in the brochure minelab said something like 'exciting new upgrades.' But, programing takes time and is expensive. I would think that upgrades would have to be something that a lot of people want, are actually do-able, and significantly improves the usability of the machine to be worth it. Something along those lines anyway.

That said, I'm pretty satisfied with the CTX as it is. I would like to see a minor change or two, but they're not that important. The only serious thing I question about the CTX is this scrunching everything on the FE 12 line. Seems to me that makes it harder to separate the trash from the good stuff. If it spread out more and nickels went here and pull-tabs went there, and dimes were here and pennies were there, gold coins went here and aluminum foil was there, would make things a lot easier. But, maybe I'm all wrong.

harryhh said:
Someone did mention that in the brochure minelab said something like 'exciting new upgrades.' But, programing takes time and is expensive. I would think that upgrades would have to be something that a lot of people want, are actually do-able, and significantly improves the usability of the machine to be worth it. Something along those lines anyway.

That said, I'm pretty satisfied with the CTX as it is. I would like to see a minor change or two, but they're not that important. The only serious thing I question about the CTX is this scrunching everything on the FE 12 line. Seems to me that makes it harder to separate the trash from the good stuff. If it spread out more and nickels went here and pull-tabs went there, and dimes were here and pennies were there, gold coins went here and aluminum foil was there, would make things a lot easier. But, maybe I'm all wrong.

Harry,
In a perfect world, we would have machines that would scream out the exact identity of what our coil passes over......unfortunately, there is no such machine and metallic targets, junk or treasure, have similar ferrous/conductive characteristics. I can't tell you how many times I got a sweet 12-43/44 thinking that I had a nice silver dime only to dig a crummy ziincoln IMHO, I believe the only way to achieve the results you desire would be thru knowledge of your machine and a great deal of experience.

True, knowing the machine, and nothings perfect. Wondering about this scrunching everything on the FE 12 line is something that started crossing my mind a couple months after getting the CTX. But, I realized I may be wrong in thinking this was a bad idea. I may be missing something. Others though, who have used minelab machines that didn't do that, claim it was much easier to identify targets. I believe someone mentioned the Explorer having a much better separation on the screen and easier identification. There are probably those who have used other minelab machines and prefer this scrunching on the 12 line. I just haven't seen those posts though.

If it were possible, I would like to do a test of the CTX. One with scrunching, and one with no scrunching. That's about the only way to decide with reasonable surety.

I just realized, I'm getting pretty far away from the purpose of this post.

Ok, so.....many will say I am crazy....but I would love Icons to show up like White's (or the Safari for that matter).......I am not saying I don't find the Minelab readings awesome....but why not? Sometimes I have someone who wants to hunt with me, first timers, and I can't give them the Minelab...but rather one of my White's.

Just sayin'

- Mark

If you want to understand the scrunching as you call it, get this book and study it: The Minelab Explorer & E-Trac Handbook by Andy Sabisch. You can find it online. The 12 line is one of the neatest features of the Minelab detectors. It came about when they changed the scale of the grid which was brilliant. Even though this book does not cover the CTX 3030, it is worth it's weight in silver coins to me.

maansman said:
Ok, so.....many will say I am crazy....but I would love Icons to show up like White's (or the Safari for that matter).......I am not saying I don't find the Minelab readings awesome....but why not? Sometimes I have someone who wants to hunt with me, first timers, and I can't give them the Minelab...but rather one of my White's.

Just sayin'

- Mark

Don't take this personal, but you are (haha- just kidding). I, for one wasn't a fan of the icons on my XLT or MXT. When I got my XLT, the very first target I ever got gave the icon for a half dollar. I thought "holy sh _ _", only to dig a piece of aluminum siding. Man, I sure had an awful lot of "half dollars" in that yard. Trying to remember if you had the ability to turn the icons off. I think I did, but I can't recall.

I have that book. I'll look through it again. I'm sure I read it before I ever thought about everything being put on the FE 12 line.

And thanks for reminding me about it. While I had one on beach hunting readily available, I had forgotten I had this one until you brought it up. Had to go searching for it.