Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX updates

wvrick

I'm close to ordering and see a lot on lack of updates that were promised from ML. Since I'm new to CTX I don't know what all was advertised but does the CTX have any problems that need fixing? (bugs)
Or are the update more to add new features.

What promised updates are you referring too Rick?

Larry (IL) said:
What promised updates are you referring too Rick?

Maybe I misread something, I thought I had read about lack of software updates but those were comparing other detectors to the CTX. I thought I'd seen comments on lack of software updates that ML promised. Maybe my mistake.

If I'm wrong Digger please delete this thread. :)

From my personal use the CTX is one heck of a machine it seems to have everything right. As for updates they really have no major updates needed the machine works great NOW would I like to see some user tweaks added of course mine would be a volume control for each bin but as for any major updates I really don't see a need. Just my .02 cents..

We have our share of complainers as all forums do. Minelab quickly fixed two bugs on the CTX with updates since it's introduction but I'm not aware of Minelab promising anything more :shrug:

When you have a machine that is advertised with that feature in mind people tend to think it's implied.. You know this is the Apple generation of every year a new IOS is released with some new feature that really doesn't change the phone itself because it worked great in the first place. But people love new features it just gets them excited whether its needed or not.

Don't count on any updates any too soon. We have been after them for the past year.

I personally don't think Minelab promissed regular updates. IMO what they said was that the CTX has the ability to be updated with bug fixes and new features as needed.
They did release two bug fixes and the pinpoint lock feature. That was great and exactly what the updatable feature was meant to do. Since then no software bugs have been needed to be fixed and as far as feature updates I guess Minelab feels that at the moment the CTX is operating the way they want it to.

The thing to remember, IMO, is that everyone would like to see different new features added to the CTX. Some are impossible due to CTX limitations and some are just plain silly.....and some are good ideas that may get implemented at some point. I think the CTX has settled down to be a top notch machine the way it is.

Dave

What frankly puzzles me is who and why started this update or upgrade post on the CTX Forum? Was this strictly an academic exercise? If so, the CTX users have proven to be very bright, creative and experienced individuals! One can readily see that this is an extremely popular post based on the number of responses!

I agree Crusty and Larry. You will always have people who complain about something. The CTX IS a great machine the way it is now.

chuckciao said:
What frankly puzzles me is who and why started this update or upgrade post on the CTX Forum? Was this strictly an academic exercise? If so, the CTX users have proven to be very bright, creative and experienced individuals! One can readily see that this is an extremely popular post based on the number of responses!

The reason this thread was started in because I'm looking and spending 2500.00 plus dollars on a detector, since I'm still looking and researching different detectors I remember reading about someone saying something like "don't hold your breath for updates" maybe it was this forum or another but I posted asking "does the CTX have any problems that need fixing? (bugs)" to help decide if the CTX is what I want. I assume if I read your reply right I'd hope that is what forums are for. I run a forum, really a whole development network with forum, Jira, Bamboo, GIT, Wiki where I'm not just a admin but administrator. The MD forums are my get away and hats off to the admins here because I know their job well. That is the reason I posted, and thank everyone for their replies and help, I try to read others post to answer questions I have but some I just have to ask. As for the CTX I want one.

Thanks, Rick

You can label people that want what they paid for as complainers, but I don't agree with that.

Minelab has done a good job of fixing problems with the software. Minelab has done a poor job of issuing updates in what I would consider a timely fashion

Crusty
I also don't think Minelab ever promised updates, but they sure touted the ability to do so in the glossy ads and other advertising ( one of my previous posts gave details on what Minelab said regarding updates), so what is a timely fashion for updates? We are probably about fifteen months out now since the last one.

Chuck - Good Point
Right at the top of our forum is a post called "Post brought over from Resource center: Software update suggestions for CTX 3030.....Feel free to join the discussion....
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1887740 It has 189,535 views which is many times more than any other thread on here... If it wasn't so important to the user community it wouldn't have that many views.

Gatekeeper
If this isn't important to most of the folks on the forum, then unpin from the top and and let it die. That way this issue would come up a lot less

Frozenredneck - You are the CTX does have a lot right. But.. little "tweaks" like you mentioned are what we are after for the most part - for example the clock placement being covered up by other information.

Here is my post from August of last year - and by the way they say these enhancements will be free

GKMan said:
I had to look back at the brochure for the CTX before it was available to clarify what they had said about upgrades or updates...
In it there was a blurb about Software Upgrades and to look for exciting new developments from Minelab. I suppose it didn't say that they would be free, but in my mind I figured that they were going to be since it didn't say they would have to be purchased.
[attachment 283944 1.JPG]
And this was in the Update from October of 2012, (the last time the machine was updated), again they talk about future proof detecting through updates and upgrades. They don't say a thing about Visa or Mastercard accepted to get them
[attachment 283945 2.JPG]
My gosh since the last upgrade it has been about 297 days!

Hello Minelab? Is anyone home? We are here about the updates, and upgrades you touted.

Regarding the poor clock placement that Smittyman mentioned. From practically day one we all probably realized that the clock placement was wrong, and so we have mentioned it here numerous times, hopefully Minelab will take notice and change that.

Alright, I am done venting....

Check around with some of the sponsers. $2500.00 is way too much for the machine. You can find it cheaper and if you find any of the ML promises let us know. I have not yet used all the capabilities the CTX has to offer but if an upgrade comes along I want it. :rofl::yo: HH :minelab:

Yes Hershey, anyone purchasing it at $2500 is not a responsible shopper... I don't think we are ever going to find a promise from Minelab regarding upgrades or updates or enhancements( or what they called "Future Proof Detecting"). All we can go by is what they told us it was going to be capable of.

I have been using Minelab since the Mid 1990's and I still love their product ( I have mentioned before I used to do some of the Excalibur assembly before shipment to end user and fell in love with them then) But that doesn't mean I am going to just bend over and quietly accept their lack of response to what I consider important to the user community.

I completely understand that upgrades and new features are most always a good thing, the main thing I was interested in was if the operation and features on the detector now were the way they should be. I'm ok with what's on the detector as long as it works, but like everyone I'd take extras too if offered. :)

And the 2500 is just a advertized price I'd seen, I know it can be bought for less. ;)

You are right on wvrick... Some people are going to agree more than others. But, I feel for the most part that we are happy with the CTX just looking for little things here and there.

Yes wvrick, the CTX is as great as advertised, BUT, it is only as good as the operator. Don't expect it to work miracles if you don't put the time in and understand all the different capabilities.

wvrick is there any other hornets nests you want to kick today?

:poke:

If your looking for a machine that seems to get frequent updates and listens to the end users suggestions it looks like the XP Deus is winning over that crowd.

I have heard that mentioned Frozen... I am no where near ready to jump ship over this, but it is nice to hear that they are implementing changes based on end user suggestions