Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX updates

The reason for so many updates on the Deus is for fixing bugs. It's not for upgrades, just fixes. We all want upgrades, but for now, be happy with the best Metal Detector on the market.

When the CTX was released there were a couple of problems.. The first one was the machine locking up and requiring battery removal to get it unlocked.. This was some sort of a battery/ software problem that was quickly addressed with a firmware update that fixed the problem... The next problem was falsing in saltwater in different parts of the country, again Minelab stepped up and fixed the problem with a firmware update that also included the pin point button option which was a pretty common complaint...... Most of the suggestions that have been made are of a personal preference type , There are no bugs that need fixed as far as I'm concerned..Most of the whiners are just wanting a update so they have a new toy... My biggest disappointment with the CTX is screen visibility and not having fully assignable tones...Its still a great detector and if a new update never comes I'm still happy with my purchase...... wildherre
7565381966_191607a2e8_c.jpg

Gatekeeper not implying it's better by no means I've heard they compliment each other well. I'm not a brand loyal person I love my CTX have every coil they make and just received my XP deus can't test it yet due to the weather. But it's another great horse to add to the stable!

Well Wild, it would be my personal preference if the clock wasn't in the wrong place so we could actually see it more often while detecting..

Seriously though, they should just take the thread at top and unpin it or remove it... Nothing positive ever comes from this discussion.

GKMan said:
wvrick is there any other hornets nests you want to kick today?

:poke:

Well..... I never meant to kick a nest, just wanted to make sure anything wasn't broken. It looks like everything works as advertised, I've had 3 Etracs ( one was the old ladies) and liked all of them. So I'm hoping to settle right in. I've debated the Deus but one thing that gets me is the not waterproof and charging pins on the coil. I'm pretty sure they may short in saltwater, but I could be wrong. Last summer I was in Greece and while there we had rented a boat and went out on the Mediterranean, we flew a RC plane off the boat to do some video with a plan to fly it back on deck to land. One of the guys took his plane for a flight and it hit the seawater about 15' from the boat and it was a instance short, everything in it fried.

I'm wanting to do some beach hunting and don't plan on getting the detector body underwater but the coil and shaft will.

I am sure you didn't mean too!

You are probably thinking Holy Cow what did I start!

GKMan said:
Seriously though, they should just take the thread at top and unpin it or remove... Nothing positive ever comes from this discussion.

Point well taken. :thumbup:

HH Randy

It would have been interesting if Minelab would have set the CTX like a video game.
As you got better, it could sense your use of time, settings, swing speed, targets identified and used this to open levels as you gained field time.

Sloppy first timers, or once a month hunters would pretty much stay in level one for a long time until they earned a new level via the field mileage, and/or criteria that showed increased target identification.

Motivated daily hunters would start picking up on the little things that make them a better than the average hunter, thus opening up to newer levels sooner that may have more personal options available to tailer it specifically to YOU.

Can you imagine the threads now?

What does it take to get past Level one?
Dang! I've been stuck on Level 3 for a year now.
Is there anyone here that has reached the golden Level 10 yet?

This was just a winter/snow filled thought, that I thought might add to more creative conversation than the whole "Minelab promised an upgrade" debacle. :ninja:

The return button is my clear clock button... I set it to [size=x-large]large ID panel[/size]... hit the return button it switches to [size=x-large]large ID panel[/size] mode , read clock, return button again back to detecting...:detecting:

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm looking forward to the CTX and many hours hunting with it.

IMO, your description of "levels" is already in place. But instead of "time of use" to get better, we advance our levels by "success in the field". Sure, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. But I've found the more I learn about the CTX, the "luckier" I get. As you said, "motivated daily hunters would start picking up on the little things that make them a better than the average hunter". Good post! HH Randy

Good suggestion Ken, that must be a level 4 feature..:biggrin: I must be old fashioned, I still wear a wristwatch...:shrug:

haha after all this watch minelab come out with this as the update we have all been waiting for

GKMan said:
Well Wild, it would be my personal preference if the clock wasn't in the wrong place so we could actually see it more often while detecting..

I'm retired...I don't need no stinkin' clock! :heh: Anyway I have a watch but I wish Timex would have put the TID on it bigger so I could see when it finds a coin....wait that ain't it's job! :rofl:

Just funning guys! :twodetecting:

Grrrrr, I am eligible for retirement in about 2046

Wild,I know you can work around the clock placement issue,but it sure would be nice to just be able to look down and see it

I agree with gkman just because your opinion doesn't match others doesn't mean your crying. I for one don't need any updates I'm happy with the ctx.

I guess it's just my engineer's logic that isn't working right here, but I just don't get the argument/defense that some of our members make for Minelab by saying that they haven't promised updates/upgrades. Why would anyone design something to be upgradeable and then push the point in their advertising if they didn't plan on updating/upgrading it? Of course they promised updates/upgrades implicitly, just by advertising the product as software upgradeable. A buyer (at least I surely did) looking at that advertising point immediately thinks, ah great, if I buy this machine I will not need to buy a newer model for a while because this one can be upgraded just by adding new code. Mind you I haven't said that they promised what the updates/upgrades would be, of if they would be free or not, or even the time frame for them. Maybe they are working on a new software load to functionally upgrade the CTX 3030 to the CTX 3030-2, but in any case I surely expect new function/features to be provided for this machine without having to buy a new one. If Minelab offers a new and improved detector (new/upgraded function) before they provide/offer new/upgraded function for the CTX 3030, I'm going to be seriously upset as a customer and that will be the end for me!

I guess I'm missing the point of this thread. I never saw anything about promised updates. Yes they use the concept of being able to update the CTX as a selling point, but they didn't say they would produce regular updates. They offer updates when a bug is found or new functionality warrants an upgrade. Like Microsoft, they don't put out an upgrade because they change an icon or two. The selling point is that we don't have to send the CTX in for an update/upgrade/bug fix we can do it ourselves.

The point of the thread is a lot of hunters are going stir crazy and they have to vent.........:devil:

I agree with you 100% Southwind and I might add that I believe they are working on an upgrade as we speak. Writing new code and testing it takes time, sometimes years.