Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth Meter Accuracy

earthmansurfer

My Equinox 800 will arrive shortly, so I will do my own testing. But on another forum I am hearing a mixed bag (depending on the coin) regarding the accuracy of the depth meter. E-Trac and CTX were extremely accurate for me.
Any opinions here?

Thanks in Advance,
EMS

I’m wondering the same thing.seems to have the same meter as the xterra which was not very accurate.

it is based on the xterra platform and its been around awhile the xterra so they have been working on this detector for a long time 10+ years ? minelab have said that the FBS detectors have gone as far as they can go, and that the IQ is a cross breed of xterra and FBS so a new breed of multi freq and who knows where this ends up ? only they know how the tech works and they sure have a good poker face so we will only know from results not tech explanations.

so guess its not going to be perfect for another 20 years ?

I think tone modulation will be better indicator on depth but mine is in transit so cant answer from experience but not expecting CTX meter readings sure some with the detector will chime in :biggrin:

earthmansurfer said:
My Equinox 800 will arrive shortly, so I will do my own testing. But on another forum I am hearing a mixed bag (depending on the coin) regarding the accuracy of the depth meter. E-Trac and CTX were extremely accurate for me.
Any opinions here?

Thanks in Advance,
EMS

I hunted with mine over 5 hours yesterday and only glanced at the depth meter a couple of times, looked like it was pegged each time. I don't think it's that accurate, but, I was going by the sound of the signal, mainly the pinpoint. I hit a 9" wheat, I didn't pay attention to the numbers, I was getting a repeatable high tone and could tell when I pinpointed it was deep. I doubt that the depth meter will be something I depend on with this machine.

Almost all metal detector machines are Male! They exagerate about how deep they can go! After about 14-16 hours with the 800, the meter seems to be about one bar indicator too much. 4 bars I think is supposed to be 8", and that appears to be about 5-6" really. 2 bars is usually in the 3 to 5 inches range. The pin point tone gives a better indicator of depth and then that is also just a guess. It isn't accurate to the mm but it is a good indicator! Like everything else on a machine, it is just another 'somewhat accurate' piece of information used to make a 'dig' decision.

So far, I am very impressed with the overall capabilities of the machine. The weight, fast reaction times, build quality, fairly easy functions and operating process, and the incredible Gold modes! If you have one, hunting in Park 1 or 2, and get a decent deep target/tone, switch to Gold 1 or 2, scan the same target and see what happens!!

Watch my air test and first hunt videos, the depth meter seems spot on to me.

The depth meter is pretty inaccurate and as others have said it tends to overestimate the true depth. Plus, it doesn't work at all in pinpoint mode. It just freezes on the last target detected in disc mode.

On the other hand, the VCO audio in pinpoint mode does provide a really good depth indication, and that is sufficient for me.

The only real downside to the inaccurate depth meter is that often you have to go into pinpoint to get a good depth reading via the VCO audio rather than getting a decent visual depth reading "on the fly" in disc mode. Having to go into pinpoint mode to check the depth of a target does slow me down. I know the Equinox is supposed to modulate the audio in disc mode, but I still find it hard to tell depth from the disc audio unless the target is either extremely shallow (less than an inch) or extremely deep (8"+). Anything in between and it's very difficult to tell without going into pinpoint and listening to the audio. It's not really a big deal, just an idiosyncrasy of the Equinox. I was spoiled coming from the V3i which has a VERY accurate on-the-fly depth meter in disc mode. Just something to get used to on the Equinox.

Ive never used it since I started water hunting. I go more by sizing a target and the sound. Now as a dirt digger I can see u may use it more.

IQ-2018 said:
it is based on the xterra platform and its been around awhile the xterra so they have been working on this detector for a long time 10+ years ? minelab have said that the FBS detectors have gone as far as they can go, and that the IQ is a cross breed of xterra and FBS so a new breed of multi freq and who knows where this ends up ?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

these are all used on page 35 of the manual, to explain the depth gauge. As with any detector, the accuracy of the depth gauge will depend on the target composition and the soil conditions. Personally, I don't worry about the accuracy of the depth gauge. I figure if I can master pinpointing a target, when I dig straight down, I'll eventually recover it without damage. :shrug: JMHO HH Randy

[attachment 355101 depthgaugepage.jpg]

Digger said:
it is based on the xterra platform and its been around awhile the xterra so they have been working on this detector for a long time 10+ years ? minelab have said that the FBS detectors have gone as far as they can go, and that the IQ is a cross breed of xterra and FBS so a new breed of multi freq and who knows where this ends up ?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

my comments were made from what I read on minelabs website and in the manual so if that's wrong happy to be enlightened :bouncy: I don't want to go spreading lies not a good idea for me to do that... so if you have the time :biggrin:

I rarely look to see how deep a target is on any of my detectors much less think they are accurate. I go by tone and if it sounds good I dig it. 95% of everything I dig is 4" or less. I did pull a clad quarter at 8" the other day but that is rare. I think to many people rely on looking at the screen.

sgoss66 said:
I personally have found it to be relatively accurate, for what it's worth, on coin-sized targets. I find it interesting that many are saying they feel it's entirely inaccurate; that has not been my experience.

Steve

After doing the factory rest on mine, it improved the accuracy, but still reads about one triangle (2") too deep most of the time. I swing low, so that's not the issue. I have been running on Sensitivity 20. Maybe you are running hotter 22+? Still it doesn't bother me since like others have said, I don't use it much except for a rough estimate and mostly go by sound.

The only thing I can think of why some are saying they are getting inaccurate readings and some aren't is different noise cancel settings and/or ground balance points having some sort of an affect on the depth readings.

I find a depth gauge useless, if I get a good target and signal ill dig it regardless..

jas415 said:
Almost all metal detector machines are Male! They exagerate about how deep they can go! After about 14-16 hours with the 800, the meter seems to be about one bar indicator too much. 4 bars I think is supposed to be 8", and that appears to be about 5-6" really. 2 bars is usually in the 3 to 5 inches range. The pin point tone gives a better indicator of depth and then that is also just a guess. It isn't accurate to the mm but it is a good indicator! Like everything else on a machine, it is just another 'somewhat accurate' piece of information used to make a 'dig' decision.

So far, I am very impressed with the overall capabilities of the machine. The weight, fast reaction times, build quality, fairly easy functions and operating process, and the incredible Gold modes! If you have one, hunting in Park 1 or 2, and get a decent deep target/tone, switch to Gold 1 or 2, scan the same target and see what happens!!

sounds like the gold 1 program would be a good candidate to put in the 'user' program for quick access

Wayfarer said:
I personally have found it to be relatively accurate, for what it's worth, on coin-sized targets. I find it interesting that many are saying they feel it's entirely inaccurate; that has not been my experience.

Steve

After doing the factory rest on mine, it improved the accuracy, but still reads about one triangle (2") too deep most of the time. I swing low, so that's not the issue. I have been running on Sensitivity 20. Maybe you are running hotter 22+? Still it doesn't bother me since like others have said, I don't use it much except for a rough estimate and mostly go by sound.

The only thing I can think of why some are saying they are getting inaccurate readings and some aren't is different noise cancel settings and/or ground balance points having some sort of an affect on the depth readings.

I think the biggest variable is the soil. But for me again it has been pretty close. I generally have hot soil.

Wayfarer said:

Steve

Wayfarer --

I will do some close checking next time I'm out, to compile some data. 2" too deep is at least ballpark; that 4 bars on a surface coin you were getting, though, was NOT acceptable! Glad it's better, after the reset.

Like I said, I'll check more closely next time, and report back.

Yes, I do run sensitivity hot, BTW. Not sure if that affects it; I also wonder (based on posts I read yestern on "another" forum) if it's more accurate on a quarter, than a dime -- i.e. calibrated for a slightly larger coin?

Steve