Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detech 13" Ultimate vs 10x12 SEF on the MXT

Wayfarer

I have the 10x12 SEF on my MXT and it's a great coil. Deeper and separates better than any other coil I've tried on the MXT, including the D2. What does the 13" Ultimate bring to the table over the 10x12 SEF? I'm thinking of buying a new MXT Pro and picking up the 13" Ultimate on the Spring Special, but will pass on the Ultimate deal if it doesn't do much more than what my 10x12 does.

How does depth, separation, and VDI accuracy differ? Detection pattern looks like it could be a bit different since the coil dimensions are slightly different (the 13" is wider). Anybody have both that can comment on the real-world performance differences?

The mxtpro with the 10x12 sef coil was one of my favorite combos ... I used the 6x8 sef alot on that machine too.. You can really tell a difference from stock whites coils to the sef coils... Now i also wanna hear how much if any difference going to the 13" ultimate coil. From what i have heard so far they are very very close in performance..

I wanna hear too. From what I can tell, yes, they seem very very close, but the Ultimate may be a little deeper and the SEF may separate a little better. This is just speculation based on the coil shape and from what I've read. If so, then I will definitely get the Ultimate, even if it just gets me 1/4" extra depth with good ID. The parks around here have all been cleaned out right up to the depth capability of the best VLF machines (CTX's, E-tracs, CZ's). I still find a decent amount of silver in my parks, but they are all right at the very fringe of detection: 8-9" deep. In the last 6 months I haven't found a single silver shallower than 8 inches, but have found a dozen or so that have all been 8-9". That makes me think if I can squeeze just a tiny bit more depth out of my MXT, then I'll find more deep silver.

By the way, in my mild soil, my MXT with the SEF is every bit as deep as my CTX 3030 and ID's just as well. The 10x12 SEF is one great coil.

The 10x12 SEF is on my hit list of coils to get for my new MXT-Pro. Your endorsement adds to my confidence that it will be a great addition to my gear bag!

-pete

I can't seem to find the 12x10 Detech SEF coil for the MXT. Anyone have a link where it's sold? I found the 13" Ultimate for $180 shipped and wanted to compare.

EDIT: I finally found one listed on Ebay but the listing looks kinda sketchy. It's probaby legit but it's in a different language and the title doesn't really specify what you're buying. The image and the description says it is for the MXT/DFX though.......HERE

Ah, Thanks! I didn't find it just using the Google 'shop' option. I think this time next year I might have one of these two options mounted on my detector. I'd like to see some comparison videos if anyone has the coils.

I have a Detech 13" on the way, and can't wait to run it this weekend! It sounds like a real field killer!

My 10x12 SEF coil stays on my MXT 90% of the time. I also have mild soil and have tested it in a 3 year old coin garden with no junk in it. The MXT gave good tone and signal on the 3 targets which are a 6" IH, 10" silver Rosie, 12" silver Washington. I have only heard from one other source that the 13" Ultimate is about the same depth wise but might have a tendency to give a little louder signal on deep coins. I am interested in this topic and hope someone that has both coils can give some input.

pescadore said:
My 10x12 SEF coil stays on my MXT 90% of the time. I also have mild soil and have tested it in a 3 year old coin garden with no junk in it. The MXT gave good tone and signal on the 3 targets which are a 6" IH, 10" silver Rosie, 12" silver Washington. I have only heard from one other source that the 13" Ultimate is about the same depth wise but might have a tendency to give a little louder signal on deep coins. I am interested in this topic and hope someone that has both coils can give some input.

Sorry if you posted this info in the other thread . . . where are you running the gain for these tests? I was testing my 10x12 with the MXT last night on the bench and I could only get 10" on the silver dime if I maxed my gain out. Also the VID numbers were flopping around quite a bit: sometimes in the 70s or 80s and sometimes in the 40s, 50s and 60s. Results were similar in C&J and Relic though the machine was considerably quieter in Relic. (why is that?) One thing I forgot to do was run in GB track for a few seconds before locking (it was still in lock from the last time I used it) - not sure if this matters on a bench test. I use a wooden pendulum (a yardstick) to swing the target over the coil at a precise repeatable distance . . . side benefit is I don't have to take off my watch or rings. :thumbup:

-pete

I test all my detectors at the same location. It was done at a coin garden that has been in existance for about 3 years. The ground there is very mild and there are no other targets except the coins in the area to avoid any masking. I had the gain set on +1 or 2, can't remember. That is the setting I use most of the time while hunting. As far as TID goes, if it gives a TID that I would dig then that is good to me. The MXT TID was better than the M6 but both detectors saw the coins.

Pete, thanks for running a controlled test. Air test results will not replicate the ground, but they are still a decent way to compare coils since the "ground" variable is constant with air tests.

I did a bench test yesterday too. Max sensitivity +3. With the 10x12 SEF, I get 10" on a silver dime, but that is with good diggable VDI. To me, that means being in relic mode and getting a repeatable high-tone "chirp" 75% or more of the time. I get 12" on a dime listening to the all-metal only signal, but getting no VDI or "high-tone" from the discrimination audio. That's a good 2" more in all-metal, but for me, I'm not going to dig deep all-metal tones most of the time, so that means 10" is max usable depth. The 10x12 SEF is still my deepest coil.

The 950 concentric and 9" spider coils performed identically and were my second deepest coils, getting about an inch less than the 10x12 SEF - 9" with good VDI and audio high-tone "chirp" and 10.5" with a discernible and diggable all-metal signal.

The 6x10 DD and 5.3 Eclipse were the same on depth - 7" with good VDI, and 8" in all-metal.

Your MXT will be much quieter in Primary Relic mode (the mode you were probably switching to) because of the slower SAT speed. In Alternate Relic mode, the SAT speed is fast, the same speed as in Coin & Jewelry, and will have that same raspy and sputtery "hot" audio.

Now to get a direct comparison between the 10x12 SEF and 13" Ultimate....:clsoedeyes:

I couldn't resist any longer and went ahead and ordered a new MXT All-Pro package with the 13" Ultimate coil. It will be here next week. I intend to do lots of side-by-side comparison testing and post my results.

My theory based on the different cool shapes between the Ultimate and the 10x12 is that the Ultimate will be a bit deeper, maybe an extra half inch on a dime, but won't separate quite as as well. There has to be some reason Whites chose the Ultimate. We'll see!

I recieved my new Detech 13"" Ultimate on May 4 and on May 21 it quit working after 2 outtings. I wonder how good the warranty is . Bought off ebay so we'll see.

I got my 13" Ultimate two weeks ago new from White's and have been doing a lot of side-by-side testing with the 10x12 SEF on my MXT. They are both great coils. The Ultimate is about 3/4 of an inch deeper on dimes, and about a whole inch or so deeper on nickels and quarters. They're both about the same in the "easy to swing" department. Separation should be a little better on the SEF, I've only had a few times out in the field doing comparisons and so it's to early to say for sure how the separation compares, but I'd say the SEF is a little better. It's hard to say which one I like better. They're both better than the D2, though, IMO.