Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-Trac in nickels and gold

Acornhead

Hey guys, Just started Detecting again. Heres a few finds from a park outside Boston. Surprisingly stuff still in it. I’ve always wondered about the E track and Gold and Nickels, I don’t find either. Cleans up the copper and silver, but I don’t get any deep low tones only shallow ones. I know I’m opened up Enough to except Gold and Nickels. Had the DFX and it cleaned up in jewelry and Nickels but terrible on the silver and copper. The 1851 halfdime is pretty sweet, third one I’ve found. Hope everyone is safe. Desmond

Attachments

• 3E3B3749-88E9-4246-AEDF-C68000680F29.jpeg
    3E3B3749-88E9-4246-AEDF-C68000680F29.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
  • C62F797A-B53A-4E37-B1F1-1DB7378D3F2B.jpeg
    C62F797A-B53A-4E37-B1F1-1DB7378D3F2B.jpeg
    717.1 KB · Views: 200
  • D0CEC29B-0259-4A57-827A-F9316AC2620D.jpeg
    D0CEC29B-0259-4A57-827A-F9316AC2620D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
  • EE0D54AB-41F3-4911-868D-EA6355AE7744.jpeg
    EE0D54AB-41F3-4911-868D-EA6355AE7744.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
Hey guys, Just started Detecting again. Heres a few finds from a park outside Boston. Surprisingly stuff still in it. I’ve always wondered about the E track and Gold and Nickels, I don’t find either. Cleans up the copper and silver, but I don’t get any deep low tones only shallow ones. I know I’m opened up Enough to except Gold and Nickels. Had the DFX and it cleaned up in jewelry and Nickels but terrible on the silver and copper. The 1851 halfdime is pretty sweet, third one I’ve found. Hope everyone is safe. Desmond
You obviously don't need any advice on how to use the Etrac. Like water hunting, I think some parks have been cherry picked for nickel/jewelry targets, but early in my Etrac hunting, I found a lot of deep (7" to 9") nickels, Lately, not so much. It's not the machine, it's the territory.

Congrats on some great Silver coin finds! If you aren't digging pulltabs (old and new style) you will miss the Gold. Two years ago, I decided to dig all pulltabs in an open park field that has held high-school graduation parties for over 50 years. The first day I did this I pulled 60 pulltabs and a 1971 Gold class ring. I went back the next day and dug about 50 pulltabs and found a sterling ring, sterling bracelet and a Gold 1984 class ring. The silver jewelry won't read as high as silver coins because (I believe) they don't have the surface area of a coin and typically are laying at an angle, putting a narrow part of the jewelry facing upward.

For what it's worth, I usually read Nickels as "12-13" on my E-TRAC.

I usually can find buffalo nickel's ranging in the high teens to low 20's fe with a co of 11...these are usually at 10 inches +
Make sure you have it opened it up to about 25 or so ferrous...look for a high ferrous and a 11-12 conduct number...
Hope this helps you.

Agree with Elmy, the deeper the coin is the higher the fe number will be. I found an1857 quarter at 10" and the fe number was 20, not 12. The co number was around 46. The deeper the coin is, the fe number will increase due to the mineralization of the soil between the coil and the coin.

the etrac can be a very deep searching beast.... but you must go slow and take extra time with your sweeps....keep the coil as near to the ground as you can and it will reward you.
Turn 90 degrees and check your target, wiggle the coil don't sweep across it, after you pinpoint to check for a nail or iron....slow sweeps and as sd51 says high fe's and coin id co numbers is key to success.

the etrac can be a very deep searching beast.... but you must go slow and take extra time with your sweeps....keep the coil as near to the ground as you can and it will reward you.
Turn 90 degrees and check your target, wiggle the coil don't sweep across it, after you pinpoint to check for a nail or iron....slow sweeps and as sd51 says high fe's and coin id co numbers is key to success.
Why "wiggle" instead of "sweep" after pinpointing?? How will nail/iron sound different than a coin??

I find nickles relatively often. CO for $.05 is nearly always '13' on my machine and usually 12ish for FE. I always dig "13's".

Why "wiggle" instead of "sweep" after pinpointing?? How will nail/iron sound different than a coin??
It centers the target so you don't get falsing from other targets , works well for me....I also use the wiggle pinpoint method and hardly ever use the pinpoint button....

Last edited:
I find nickles relatively often. CO for $.05 is nearly always '13' on my machine and usually 12ish for FE. I always dig "13's".
I am not being a know it all ...or trying to be an expert on the etrac but usually a 13 nickel is no deeper than 8 inches for me...deep ones come in at 11 co with high fe's for me.

I am not being a know it all ...or trying to be an expert on the etrac but usually a 13 nickel is no deeper than 8 inches for me...deep ones come in at 11 co with high fe's for me.
No offense taken and thanks again

Thanks!

I'm certainly no pro with the etrac, but using the 'trashy park program' I scored two v nickles and a key 1913 buffalo two weeks ago. I might get fooled by a rolled beavertail rarely, but for the most part, if something appears on that nickle band, dig it. My machine does way better on nickles than my kid's ATP. Not knocking his machine, he does well with it.

I'm certainly no pro with the etrac, but using the 'trashy park program' I scored two v nickles and a key 1913 buffalo two weeks ago. I might get fooled by a rolled beavertail rarely, but for the most part, if something appears on that nickle band, dig it. My machine does way better on nickles than my kid's ATP. Not knocking his machine, he does well with it.
I should know the answer to this question...but have read so much e-tarc matl. lately that it's running together. Is the 'trashy park pgm' hvy discrimination with multi tone or mostly open pattern with TTF audio???