Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Easy Counter Balance

At my age I started buying lighter detectors a few years a go. My shoulder and arm still bothered me. Went the counter balance route and after some experimentation it worked. The machines weigh more but the balance, to me, does the trick. If you don't try it you'll never know.

I will try it you never know, to sgoss 66 your are right again, we all have different styles of detecting and what work for someone doesn't for others. Now that i think of it i had a Sand Shark with the controls mounted under the handle it was miserable i moved it to the real under my elbow and it was much better balanced. Now to work on the Nox to balance it a little more might help.

Thanks all of you for your comments and advice.

i guess i just swing differently i tried some counter weight and it was real out of balance for me, strange seemed to put more pressure on my elbow. Just used 10 oz of weight. By swinging closer to my feet i don't need counter weight to balance the 11" coil.

What ever works for you do it, can't hurt.

Digger --

Interesting. I would suggest you try one more experiment. Attach about 24 oz. of weight, and see how it feels. How much weight is "enough," differs for each person. Some folks feel improvement by "partially" balancing the machine, but others don't experience the improvement until the machine is FULLY balanced. And to fully balance the machine, with 11" coil, takes 24 to 25 oz. of weight.

Try it with that amount, and see what you feel...

YES, the machine will be 1 1/2 pounds heavier, overall, but, there will be ZERO nose heaviness, such that the machine will basically "float" in your hand...that same feeling you get when carrying the piece of lumber, in my "lumber" analogy, at the perfect center of the board...

Steve

More the weight the worse it became, the coil is lighter but the pull on the shoulder feels like my Sand Shark that weighs 6 lbs. i will stick to the original set up for me this counter weight doesn't work.

Digger 45 said:
i guess i just swing differently i tried some counter weight and it was real out of balance for me, strange seemed to put more pressure on my elbow. Just used 10 oz of weight. By swinging closer to my feet i don't need counter weight to balance the 11" coil.

Digger 45. The counterweight is not suppose to eliminate all the weight of the coil as that will always be there and that is why I’m only us the 5.03 of shot inside the counter weight and the counterweight is screwed into the end of the shaft and being farther back helps also.
Only us as much as needed and you wouldn’t want it to be totally balanced. With to much weight it will try to keep swinging and your wrist would have to stop the momentum.

Doug

Digger 45 said:

"By swinging closer to my feet i don't need counter weight to balance the 11" coil.'

Same here. I went closer to my feet long ago, with my heavier FBS units. Works very well.

That i understand. When I’m in parka and in some areas that is what o do sometimes but when I’m on the beach with a long shore line I have a much bigger swing and believe it or not about a 7’ path. When I do by my feet I don’t cover much area.
Also I didn’t mention that the counterweight itself itself weighs 6.97 oz..so 8 have to be careful and learn how much counterweight I need for each coil and the length I have it extended.
:I’m only 5.4” with a short inseam and I am swinging with the shaft extended . I’ll have to measure that length.
I just went am
Nd measured mine.
Ok from the ground to the end of the shaft I’m running 54” and the 4” counterweight screws into the end of that.
Hay Digger 45 , if you can try this. Set your length to 54” tomorrow and see hoe long you can make it believe it or not I can go for 6-8 hours on the g
Beach and when I go I don’t take a break , I just keep going, but I do sleep good that night, lol

Doug

I will try it although it will be about two weeks before i get back to the beach but i will be there for 14 days so i will test this out , thanks

Digger 45 said:
I will try it although it will be about two weeks before i get back to the beach but i will be there for 14 days so i will test this out , thanks
Just curious what length is your shaft right now.

For those not wanting to "pick up their steel toes shoes" while using the shaft short........ counter weight works. I put one on mine from the very beginning much like those Xcal pods i moved back even further. Its nose heavy..... but thats expected IMO no matter how light the over all weight is. I extend my shaft to almost full extension and keep the coil on the sand .... something most dirt hunters cant do. Location makes a big difference.

Nice to think outside the box and devise what I say "Function before Fashion!!!"
I too have Steve's Carbon Shaft (Silver) with counterbalance. I've used this through the Summer and absolutely love how sturdy the setup has performed and how much longer I have increased my detecting hours! Just a few days ago, I ran it without the counterweight and I did notice the tug of the coil trying to work my forearm. Yes there are other shafts available, but I am old fashion and believe in buying from the USA.