Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EQ Coil

dewcon4414

Ok water hunters this is for you guys. What i found today is the coil wants to not float...... but kind of glide much like the CTX does. She got more drag than the Xcal coil and it appear its because of those 6 cross bars. Not certain they are serving a purse...... so ive come up with a rather dumb idea to CUT the front and middle ones off. Before someone asks.......no im not worried about a warranty thou cutting them off shouldnt create a problem that i can see.

First day out.....interesting machine thats going to take some getting used to.

Dew

Dew --

Two things -- ONE -- Glad you got your unit!

TWO -- could your drag issue be mitigated a bit by some sort of a "solid" coil cover, as opposed to cutting pieces off the coil?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the unit...

Steve

LOL, that is probably the WORST idea I have heard for a detector mod, but it's your equipment, do what you want with it.

Probably caused more by the coil wire. Might want to cut that off.

I doubt that cutting off the support's would make much difference but..... You might want to consider how long it will take to get a replacement coil if things don't work out. Grumpy

To me, that is not a very good idea. If the coil support is hollow and after cutting you now have a water intrusion hole that somehow you have to plug. Even if you cut them, I seriously doubt there will be any noticeable loss of drag. Just not a good idea at all IMHO!

Steve...... no a solid one would give more coil flip and glide in swift current..... kind of like a boogy board. they look pertty..... but guys they serve no purpose. The Xcal dont need um nor do most mono coils. I was leaving the back two on lol. Jason...... thanks good info there.

Dumb idea.
You need the supporters in there.

You will gain virtually nothing if anything,

Now if you pumped the coil while detecting maybe, but not sweeping.

You might as well go ahead while you are at it and cut the rod down the middle and get rid of some drag too. Again another dumb idea.

I dont agree...... its over build. We dont have them on mono coils or even the Xcal coils. Anyone remember when the CTX came out....... one of the complaints was those cross overs. Weeds and limbs were catching them....... but we have adapted or just stopped complaining lol. Dont get me wrong ...... im not complaining i can control the coil and it moves ok..... just more drag than needed. You dont notice it as bad going E to W..... but N to S there is a natural incline on most beaches in the water. You tilt your coil and with the long shore drift it can float on you. I do appreciate your guys imput thou.

Dew

I think the coil moves through the water pretty easy. I don't have a problem at all with it and I'm 70. But hey, it's your coil, go for it.

Sure Dew----Go ahead & cut it!----These coils are CHEAP!---If it doesn't work out you can buy another.---That is if forever & a day you can find one.-----Man, I wouldn't do that if it were me---but then I'm just an ole foggy on a fixed income!:)--------Del

Del...... it just money lol. Rich... dont get me wrong it moves a heck of a lot better than the CTX. Im just saying i believe that would be an improvement in the ability to move this coil faster in the water. The EQ has really fast processing and most of the beaches are pretty clean here. Dumb idea..... but IMO so were those cross braces. Looks like the NAs have it lol.

Dew

ive been water hunting for 25 years mostly in fresh water.ive found,even if the bottom is very clean, to sweep kinda slow.with the detectors ive used,that helps not to miss a target, and it lessens the drag on the coil.

Getting a replacement coil could be difficult. I still waiting for a 6" coil but no word as to when they are coming. Really been a disappointment.

Its the detector shaft , handle , and control box that cause all the drag. Just cut those off and it should work fine.