Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

equinox 800 on a plane?

william T

Has anyone taken there equinox 800 on a plane? I have seen posts that people have taken theirs on planes but the equinox has a battery you can't take out.

I flew with my Equinox and Deus in a carry on suitcase to the UK with no issues with security or British Air.

I have made lots of international flights with detectors in check bags. I only got questioned once and the security guy new exactly what machine I had {E-trac} at the time because he had one too we talked detecting for 15 minutes :lol: and showed him all my finds from England.

The rest of our group thought I was going to jail :yikes:
Jeff

It went through X-ray machine and I wasn’t asked to open it or questioned about. I was actually surprised that I went straight through with no issues.

Same here. Flew domestically. Packed it in the original box, fashioned a handle, no problems at checkpoint and stored nicely above my seat.

I went thought both US and Mexico inspections with no issues in my carry-on. Neither asked to see it.

Dave

midalake said:
I went thought both US and Mexico inspections with no issues in my carry-on. Neither asked to see it.

Dave

I'm headed to MX and was a bit concerned taking mine as I have traveled there several times and stuff has come up missing from my checked baggage on the return. I see you took as a carry on, what did you put it in? Did they ask about the battery or make you turn it on?

Hotrod65 said:

Dave

I'm headed to MX and was a bit concerned taking mine as I have traveled there several times and stuff has come up missing from my checked baggage on the return. I see you took as a carry on, what did you put it in? Did they ask about the battery or make you turn it on?

I was not asked anything by anyone. I was a little sneaky and had it in with my C-Pap machine. I would NOT check bag this! Most airlines have policies against putting lithium batteries into checked luggage. A little tip about your checked luggage......Run TSA on them and straps. Do not make your bag easy access. I have probably flown 500 times in and out of mexico and zero items stolen. Dave

I always put my detector in my carryon that stows in the overhead. I often bring a second detector in a backpack that stows under the seat. My travel scoop in in my checked bag with TSA approved locks or at minimum zip ties through the zipper lock loops. I never had any issues flying to Mexico or anywhere. There is a limit on the value of sports equipment you can bring into MX but with my wife - two people we are almost within allowance. I believe it is $500. per person and you should have some kind of receipt to show if asked. You could always ask your friendly detector dealer to make a fudged receipt (less than actual purchase price) preferably showing it was purchased used. So this year I take the EQX 800 and a PI detector and one waterproof pinpointer. I'll probably have two sets of waterproof headphones for the 800. I have choices of PI units to take, some are hardwired but the SH MK2 has removable headphone but a proprietary connector like ML. Have 2 weeks booked in MX for March 30 - April 13, 2019. Last year it was a good thing I had two detectors when I had a minor failure but not a spare headphone connector for my whites. I since then got a couple of spares.

I make two trips to the UK each year and pack all my gear in a hard short rifle case. CTX, Deus & Equinox packed last trip, always goes through TSA x-ray and never questioned. 1 outta 3 times I find a TSA pamphlet where they looked inside but nothing was disturbed. Only issue I ever have is that the hard case winds up not coming out of baggage claim but gets put behind the counter and they ask if it has weapons inside, I respond no and they hand it over.
have only been asked to open it once arriving in London and when I did and they saw it was detecting equipment they wanted to talk about detecting lol
As far as lithium batteries go here is the info from Delta

"Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed."

CTX battery is 34 wh

GA Buddy