Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox No Repairs after Warranty Service Question....

lytle78 said:
Modern stuff - glued together - surface mounted components - this ain’t Tom Swift stuff. If you get 5 years - you’ve had your run.
Glad someone gets it.

I believe service will be available for many years. Question is how & at what cost.
Questions I ask & comments are made with a 40 yrs living in consumer electronics background
in sales & service. Thats tens of thousands of repairs. BTW that includes NO MD's to be honest.

So on to one of the answers. The control head is apparently NOT held together by screws.
( the BP is) That leaves 2 methods I am aware of.
1) glued
2) held by claws with a gasket
Either way you have to damage or destroy the shell halves to open it for service.
Third possibility is a material that you can run a bead that will hold it together water proof for years but easily be
broken into if needed. If that exists beyond NASA or the military I would love to know.

HH
Tom
LFOD !

Even 7 years is poor support. If the model run is longer than 7 they certainly should support all previous sales. I buy my detecting stuff expecting it to last. Having started in mainframes (UNIVAC ) I've been dismayed at the disposability of today's tech. I don't have to get specific but there are at least 3 or 4 U.S. detector manufacturers who put the 7 yr ML repair / support policy to shame. We all know the lifetime guarantee of one of them. All that said I hope repair issues & policy don't have me regretting my ML order.

Ytcoinshooter said:
Even 7 years is poor support. If the model run is longer than 7 they certainly should support all previous sales. I buy my detecting stuff expecting it to last. Having started in mainframes (UNIVAC ) I've been dismayed at the disposability of today's tech. I don't have to get specific but there are at least 3 or 4 U.S. detector manufacturers who put the 7 yr ML repair / support policy to shame. We all know the lifetime guarantee of one of them. All that said I hope repair issues & policy don't have me regretting my ML order.

You are totally ignoring the words AT LEAST. AT LEAST 7 years that does not say only or at most 7 years. And Detectors are like computers. 7 years from now new tech may be available and probably will be that will outshine even the Equinox. The ctx was 5 years old. I bought it when it released, while it’s a very good detector, it is not so good in mineralized or heavy iron. Of course I want them to support it from now on, but knowing they will be supporting it for AT LEAST 7 years is enough comfort factor for me. I get learning a machine and sticking with what you know and all that, but sometimes you can only squeeze so much out of a detector, and once you have learned all it’s settings tricks and nuances, your sites dry up and no longer produce. It takes new tech to bring new life to your sites. That’s just how it is. You can swing the same machine for 20 years and be talking about “the good ol’ days” as you find nothing or you can stay on the cutting edge. It’s a hobby so whatever makes you happy do it.

BootyHunter said:

You are totally ignoring the words AT LEAST. AT LEAST 7 years that does not say only or at most 7 years. And Detectors are like computers. 7 years from now new tech may be available and probably will be that will outshine even the Equinox. The ctx was 5 years old. I bought it when it released, while it’s a very good detector, it is not so good in mineralized or heavy iron. Of course I want them to support it from now on, but knowing they will be supporting it for AT LEAST 7 years is enough comfort factor for me. I get learning a machine and sticking with what you know and all that, but sometimes you can only squeeze so much out of a detector, and once you have learned all it’s settings tricks and nuances, your sites dry up and no longer produce. It takes new tech to bring new life to your sites. That’s just how it is. You can swing the same machine for 20 years and be talking about “the good ol’ days” as you find nothing or you can stay on the cutting edge. It’s a hobby so whatever makes you happy do it.

Here's another response from Minelab

" We do recommend using an Authorized Service Center (ASC) for battery replacement to avoid potentially damaging the waterproof seal during replacement, which would void the 3-year detector warranty. Further information into user replacement of the battery will be released at a later date, but the request for users to perform the battery switch themselves is actively being appraised.

The Equinox does come with a three year warranty and does not offer an extended warranty. Some dealers may have their own warranty they sell through them, but as a manufacturer we do not offer one.

Minelab will of course continue to service your detector after the warranty has expired! While there would be a charge associated with the repair, we would absolutely have it taken care of for you!" So--Minelab recommends the ASC replace the battery instead of the user, as it is would potentially void the warranty.

Dan(NM) said:
This is one I think Bill Stirling needs to address....thats huge to me. I called Minelab this morning, this is nonsense. The components inside the control housing are replaceable and warrantied for 3 years. Minelab is required to provide parts and service for 7 years after the release of a detector. This is another non issue. They do not dispose of the control housing in order to do a warranty repair. Parts and service will be available 4 or more years after the warranty expires.
Thanks Dan for looking into this issue.

BootyHunter said:

I would have said I stand corrected BUT my reference to several U.S. manufactures is the point of my statement. I did see "at least 7 years". I wasn't trying to promote some kind of negative issue here - so excuse me if that is the perception I put forth. I tend to keep the things I like a long time and take great care with them. More than 7 years support and repair is ok I'm just not used to manufacturers making statements like that upon release. I did not take it or precieve it as planned obsolescence but as another :rolleyes: re Minelab' history of service & repair. I think I'm being reasonable and practical within my personal parameters.
Regards :thumbup:

Ytcoinshooter said:

I would have said I stand corrected BUT my reference to several U.S. manufactures is the point of my statement. I did see "at least 7 years". I wasn't trying to promote some kind of negative issue here - so excuse me if that is the perception I put forth. I tend to keep the things I like a long time and take great care with them. More than 7 years support and repair is ok I'm just not used to manufacturers making statements like that upon release. I did not take it or precieve it as planned obsolescence but as another :rolleyes: re Minelab' history of service & repair. I think I'm being reasonable and practical within my personal parameters.
Regards :thumbup:

Fair enough. And I also keep things on and on. I still have my 1988 Camaro I got new in 1988, I use a Tesoro Stingray 2 machine in the water for small gold. So I get wanting to have something last, but the notion that Minelab wasn’t going to support the Equinox past 3 years is what was being widely proported, not saying by you were insinuating.that. Happy hunting!

Ya know,it makes me wonder why Minelab doesn’t have somone who works for them monitor these forums,It would put to rest subjects like these,and the answer would come from a credible source.Not saying that the people here posting are not credible,,but it’s just fair to say a representative from Minelab would be able to make a positive impact on these types of questions.

The chances of one failing under normal use i would say are very slim. A lot of problems happen to detectors because people knock them about too much..

Bigtom123 said:
Ya know,it makes me wonder why Minelab doesn’t have somone who works for them monitor these forums,It would put to rest subjects like these,and the answer would come from a credible source.Not saying that the people here posting are not credible,,but it’s just fair to say a representative from Minelab would be able to make a positive impact on these types of questions.

Although I have worked with Minelab on a wide variety of projects, I do not work for them and have never been an employee of Minelab. However, I do know many of the people who do work there and can assure you that Minelab does read these forums. I also believe that, if they took the time to respond to every incorrect assumption or accusation that has been made on just the CTX or EQUINOX forums, they would never get anything else done. A perfect case in point is your comment.....you made the assumption that "Minelab doesn't have someone who works for them monitor these forums". That assumption is just plain wrong! I can recall many, many times where Minelab stepped in and provided clarification to comments made on the CTX forum, as well as recently right here on the EQUINOX forum,. They may not always address the person who made the post directly. But if it is a rational comment that has people scratching their heads, they will get the correct information to the public through a Treasure Talk blog, engineering notes on their website, or through their dealer network. As I said, if it is a rational comment or a legitimate problem, they will make sure the truth be told. But this ongoing "someone told me that someone else said" or " I heard from a guy who saw a video that" or "Minelab doesn't have someone who works for them monitor these forums" is obviously not something they feel the need to address. JMHO HH Randy

I think some people worry way too much about there detector failing.... the chances are slim of a new machine going wrong imho...

Bigtom123 , I agree.....

If they ( Minelab) were anything like Nokta/Makro , everyone wouldn't be up tight about the Nox. And They ( Nokta/Makro ) are responding to questions and getting new machines out in record time. And their machines are great. Minelab , take lessons from mentioned manufacturers. I use both Minelab and Nokta/Makro machines so I am not talking $hit. Just go to their forums and learn. GS
Bigtom123 said:

Digger said:

Although I have worked with Minelab on a wide variety of projects, I do not work for them and have never been an employee of Minelab. However, I do know many of the people who do work there and can assure you that Minelab does read these forums. I also believe that, if they took the time to respond to every incorrect assumption or accusation that has been made on just the CTX or EQUINOX forums, they would never get anything else done. A perfect case in point is your comment.....you made the assumption that "Minelab doesn't have someone who works for them monitor these forums". That assumption is just plain wrong! I can recall many, many times where Minelab stepped in and provided clarification to comments made on the CTX forum, as well as recently right here on the EQUINOX forum,. They may not always address the person who made the post directly. But if it is a rational comment that has people scratching their heads, they will get the correct information to the public through a Treasure Talk blog, engineering notes on their website, or through their dealer network. As I said, if it is a rational comment or a legitimate problem, they will make sure the truth be told. But this ongoing "someone told me that someone else said" or " I heard from a guy who saw a video that" or "Minelab doesn't have someone who works for them monitor these forums" is obviously not something they feel the need to address. JMHO HH Randy

I feel very sad that you feel that way,and if Minelab also feels the way you do it’s a sad situation.Public relations is part of owning a business or company,,the more hands on publicly a company is the better off they do.At least that’s what I was taught in business management.Sticky notes are like chain mail,they have no face value.One post from a Minelab representative is seen by thousands and speaks volumes of the integrity to the consumer.These forums are probably all metal detecting companies biggest cash cow.To think it would be invalid for them to speak directly to thousands of consumers in just one post here and there,that’s sad.

Bigtom123 said:
These forums are probably all metal detecting companies biggest cash cow.

You would be completely wrong. 90% of metal detector users never visit a detecting forum. The US isn't even close to the major sales driver for ML. That distinction goes to the gold fields of Africa, and most users dont even have a clue what an internet forum is.

Jason in Enid said:
These forums are probably all metal detecting companies biggest cash cow.

You would be completely wrong. 90% of metal detector users never visit a detecting forum. The US isn't even close to the major sales driver for ML. That distinction goes to the gold fields of Africa, and most users dont even have a clue what an internet forum is.

And you know this how,or is this just your uneducated guess?
Please tell us where and how you gathered your information

Bigtom123 said:
I feel very sad that you feel that way,and if Minelab also feels the way you do it’s a sad situation.Public relations is part of owning a business or company,,the more hands on publicly a company is the better off they do.At least that’s what I was taught in business management.Sticky notes are like chain mail,they have no face value.One post from a Minelab representative is seen by thousands and speaks volumes of the integrity to the consumer.These forums are probably all metal detecting companies biggest cash cow.To think it would be invalid for them to speak directly to thousands of consumers in just one post here and there,that’s sad.

I'd agree with one thing you said.....Public relations is part of owning a business or company. However, responding to uneducated accusations and unfounded bias is not public relations. It is a total waste of time for those who feel they must do so. Kind of like me responding to you because I happen to volunteer here as a moderator. :rage: Ya know, this whole string of posts follows what is obviously an incorrect statement. For the life of me, I can't understand how people can get their panties in such a wad over something that isn't even true.