Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox Skid Plate

What’s with the skid plate anyway? Why can’t it all be sealed like the Garret coil on the AT Pro? Also would like some improvement on the pinpoint. AT PRO you just back off the signal, when it’s silent the target is right below the tip of the coil. Hardly ever need to hit the pinpoint button. Equinox it’s somewhere around the center of the coil. Always have to use the pinpoint, which after awhile is really annoying. More often then not based on the hand held pinpointer I’m digging the side walls of the original hole created. Sorry to be cranky but it’s true.
NJearthman, yeah I hear you.
Most of my side of the hole finds are standing straight up - so now I dance around the target and try to get a better center but I am still off.
Some of it happens from lag time with my hearing going bad but that is the price I have to pay these days.
Tony

With any double-D coil, the easiest way (for me at least) is the double-D wiggle". Just go back and forth while moving back and when the signal disappears, the target is right at the tip of the coil.

What’s with the skid plate anyway? Why can’t it all be sealed like the Garret coil on the AT Pro? Also would like some improvement on the pinpoint. AT PRO you just back off the signal, when it’s silent the target is right below the tip of the coil. Hardly ever need to hit the pinpoint button. Equinox it’s somewhere around the center of the coil. Always have to use the pinpoint, which after awhile is really annoying. More often then not based on the hand held pinpointer I’m digging the side walls of the original hole created. Sorry to be cranky but it’s true.
My guess is if you seal it it will never be sealed completely and good luck then. My way is much easier .
Doug

Maybe I saw one of Bryce's post years ago on the Explorer SE ? ...After pinpointing various targets some forum members used to take a white magic marker or whiteout and mark the "sweet spot" on top of the double D coil to determine where the pinpointer function was most accurate with the target underneath. Skidplate stays on but is cleaning regularly to minimize possible mineralization..HH

I use the Equinox skid plate all the time, except when I am hunting in beach sand or fine playground sand. There I take the skid plate off and try to keep the coil an inch or so above the sand. If I leave it on in the sand the skid plate fills up real fast.

I copied Colonel Dan hunting on the beach and drilled small holes in the skidplate. When it feels heavy, a couple swishes in the surf cleans it out. Seems to load up most at the tip - still remove after every hunt and rinse.