Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EQUINOX technologies.......

Digger

Constitutional Patriot
Staff member
This is the first installment in a blog series introducing and explaining the technologies inside the new EQUINOX detectors…

http://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-1

Thanks Randy.
I look forward to reading some real information about the Equinox. Have you been a field tester for it?

Randy

I have to wonder if there will be an advantage using the Equinox in mild soil like you and I have. Hope the recovery speed beats the 705 using 18.75 and small DD and has similar depth to the 3 Khz Freq.

Tom

PS: love the 9" concentric X-T coil for fresh water wading, it sllices thru the water like a knife thru butter. Would be nice if concentric coils work on the Equinox.

Thanks for the link...

A quote from the link >>> "however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions." The Etrac and CTX still will rule the old silver coin world. I love my Etrac and CTX. I will buy the 800 for my grandson to use when he is here in Oregon.

Thanks for the link! Looking forward to part 2.
I don't know if you are allowed to answer this... Does the prospecting mode operate in single freq or multi or is it selectable? Thanks!

Dean

Well I would say that pretty much eliminates the idea that the Equinox might be a 2 1/2 lb super fast E-Trac. No use for me.

Sounds like just an X-Terra II.

Don't think so, southwind (with respect to it simply being an X-Terra II). Hold on for a minute...did you read the whole article?

THIS was interesting, and I think it addresses your point.

"While we could have taken the approach of putting the X-TERRA (VFLEX technology) in a waterproof housing and adding a selectable frequency range, this would have been following the path of many of our competitors in just rehashing an older single frequency technology that had already reached its performance limits. Another option would have been to create a lower cost waterproof FBS detector, but that also had its challenges with FBS being ‘power hungry’, needing heavier batteries, heavier coils, etc., and relatively high cost compared to the more recent advances that our R&D team have been making with the latest electronics hardware and signal processing techniques."

I also found these quotes very interesting, such that they caught my attention from the perspective that this seems to confirm that Multi-IQ is not a machine with "dumbed-down" performance, as compared to other Minelab hobby detectors, despite the attractive price point.

"When Minelab develop a new detecting technology we aim to create a paradigm shift from existing products and provide a clear performance advantage for our customers."

And...

"Multi-IQ is Minelab’s next major innovation and can be considered as combining the performance advantages of both FBS and VFLEX in a new fusion of technologies."

And...

"Multi-IQ achieves a high level of target ID accuracy at depth much better than any single frequency detector can achieve."

Steve

Sgoss66 I agree I am more convinced that my beloved ctx will be eclipsed by this machine. Why can nobody seem to comprehend that the ctx and etrac are 6+ year old tech. Why or how could mindlab say oh the nox is much cheaper but equal and perhaps better in some cases. That would kill the market share on the flagship 2k priced machine. They tow that line with " almost as good" BBS FBS has an advantage on silver in all conditions" however in trashy areas speed on I'd maybe more effective. Here is the simple reality there is no one machine does it all. It's a tool in an arsnal to get the job done a hammer is not a drill. Now IMHO this will likely be a very versatile tool that can compete with the etrac and ctx sorry but the at pro and Deus already come pretty close. So if this smokes them plus has target I'd on par with BBS/FBS with much faster recovery speed then even iron on masking will be better as well. Time will tell.

Southwind said:
Well I would say that pretty much eliminates the idea that the Equinox might be a 2 1/2 lb super fast E-Trac. No use for me.

I don't see how anyone could come to that conclusion when reading Minelab's blog post when they specifically say,

"While we could have taken the approach of putting the X-TERRA (VFLEX technology) in a waterproof housing and adding a selectable frequency range, this would have been following the path of many of our competitors in just rehashing an older single frequency technology that had already reached its performance limits."

What they do say is that it is roughly based on combining BBS (like the Etrac) with VFlex (like the Xterra and Go-Finds) and coming up with a new system that in many ways is better than either of those other 2 technologies by them selves.

"Multi-IQ is Minelab’s next major innovation and can be considered as combining the performance advantages of both FBS and VFLEX in a new fusion of technologies. It isn’t just a rework of single frequency VLF, nor is it merely another name for an iteration of BBS/FBS. By developing a new technology, as well as a new detector ‘from scratch’, we will be providing both multi-frequency and selectable single frequencies in a lightweight platform, at a low cost, with a significantly faster recovery speed that is comparable to or better than competing products. "

I will be very interested to read tester reports once Minelab releases their beta testers from their Non-Disclosure Agreements and they can give us first hand accounts of what it is like to detect with Multi-IQ. Faster recovery speed means better target separation and better target ID means it should be excellent at hunting trashy sites. I bet it is much better at picking up fine gold such as gold chains than any of the BBS based machines are.

Southwind said:

don't you think it's a bit early for a statement like this? I'm optimistic for it as an entirely new tech entry for our hobby....

don't count Minelab out when it comes to announcing/producing 'new technology' products.....

it will take comparison videos of the final production units in the field comparing 'live un-dug' targets with the etrac and ctx to really see the differences in performance.

I think this machine will do really good on the gold jewelry, from what I understand is it's multi frequency tuned for low conductors where as the bbs/fbs were tuned toward high conductors. Can't wait to get mine. Still be keeping my excals and ctx though... for now.

John

Agreed Sand dog. I'll still give mine a good shot but I'm holding on to my AT Pro, Racer 2 and E-Trac. I may upgrade my AT Pro to the AT MAX though.

Another option would have been to create a lower cost waterproof FBS detector

This was what I was hoping for.

however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions

As they said themselves, it will not hit deep coins like the BBS/FBS. Both of these statements, from them, crush the hopes I had.

Don't get me wrong I'm still getting one, my hopes are just not as high.

Southwind,

I could be wrong, but I still think it is possible -- and possibly somewhat accurate -- to read their statement "BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high-conductive silver coins" as "please don't stop buying the CTX, even though we are releasing new/improved technology and being forced to do so at a lower price, due to the price point of the machines offered by our competitors..."

Steve

Very possible sgoss66. I guess that's why I'm still going to give the NOX a shot. I still think what I see in the videos and reviews tell me I should.

I'm sure you are right. To come out with a new, lower priced detector that is advertised as beating the higher priced models STILL IN THE PRODUCT LINE would make no sense.

This press release was meant to get current owners to add the Equinox to their arsenal or suggest to new buyers that they should own multiple machines.

Bill (S. CA)

masterjedi said:
Thanks for the link...

A quote from the link >>> "however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions." The Etrac and CTX still will rule the old silver coin world. I love my Etrac and CTX. I will buy the 800 for my grandson to use when he is here in Oregon.
A quote from another detector manufacturer said common sense tells you that fbs/bbs wont be any deeper than the lowest probing single frequency VLF detector, not sure if it went to court this was about 17 years ago and they said it was false advertising after Minelab were showing a diagram of their Explorer detectors probing much deeper than their competitors,

I'm not fully convinced of that. I've used a heck of a lot of detectors both single & multi frequency, and my experience was none were as deep as the BBS/FBS's. Not so much deeper physically, but in the ability of the detector to accurately tell the user when a very deep coin was below the coil.

If the Equinox could just match the performance/accuracy of the E-Trac/CTX I'd be happy. A 2 1/2 E-Trac with a good fast processor and wireless. I'd be a happy camper at $900.

I'm still getting the nox but sounds like the one after gold are going to like it .....I'm mainly a silver digger...does seem like a let down tho...:shrug:

Seems I read a post somewhere here that someone hunting along side both the ctx and the etrac and the nox was hitting on deep coins the the other 2 didn't pick up. Don't give up yet.