Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox.

below2doe

Well for us guys here in OZ its a little bit of a backward flip for something like the Equinox with way ahead technology to have a vdi of 35 for our $1 and $2 coins. Now we dont know if we have a buck or two. I am bambolized for this to be applied to a detector that is to be the leading edge at this time in technology.

Regards Below2doe.

Well take a look where bottle caps falls and how tight the gold range may be. Hey.... easing digging in the sand for us.

below2doe said:
Well for us guys here in OZ its a little bit of a backward flip for something like the Equinox with way ahead technology to have a vdi of 35 for our $1 and $2 coins. Now we dont know if we have a buck or two. I am bambolized for this to be applied to a detector that is to be the leading edge at this time in technology.

Regards Below2doe.

Would you pass by a dollar coin if the VDI said 33 and the 2 dollar coin said 35? I'd be digging all 1 and 2 dollar coins and would be very happy about it.

Well i use a Whites v3i which i have had since release in 2009 which has been updated to the latest model. The signatures of the vdi pattern is totally different to our $1 dollar coin for the $2 so it just makes it a bit easier to be able to seperate the 2 demonations.

The Equinox will have to be something out of the ordinary for me to make a change. Time will tell its all in the hands of experience and takes a lot of hours to suss out a new beepa or any one that you are not familur with.

Regards Below2doe.

Let me also say......... its more about what not to dig..... time vs productivity.

You don't realize how lucky you have it compared to America. The largest coin commonly used here is 25 cents.

Although we do have dollar coins in the U.S., they rarely circulate. I consider myself lucky to find one or two of them a year.

Many Americans would be thrilled to find $20 or $30 of modern coins in a day, as happens in Canada and your country. Finding $10 in a day is noteworthy here.

below2doe said:
Well i use a Whites v3i which i have had since release in 2009 which has been updated to the latest model. The signatures of the vdi pattern is totally different to our $1 dollar coin for the $2 so it just makes it a bit easier to be able to seperate the 2 demonations.

The Equinox will have to be something out of the ordinary for me to make a change. Time will tell its all in the hands of experience and takes a lot of hours to suss out a new beepa or any one that you are not familur with.

Regards Below2doe.

“Separate the 2 DEMONATIONS”....:lol: I just had to separate MY two demonations,they were fighting over the Xbox....

sgoss66 said:
You spawn demons, IDX?! :rofl:

Steve

Well,not intentionally...but my 13 year old twin boys do exhibit some demonic traits. My daughter is the angel of the bunch,unless she’s tired...;)

Considering Australia is not a Super Power like the U.S. of A. we are certainaly very lucky to have our $1 & $2 coins in our detecting range. which makes it a very profitable for a days detecting Specially if you find a 2000 $1 dollar mule. This coin was made in our Canberra mint an the operater used the dyes of our 10 cent coin which put 2 rims on the edge of the coin instead of 1 which made this coin very collectable ranging in price from $500 to $12000 depending on condition. They are not sure how many of these coins were minted and got into the currency.

Below2doe.

below2doe said:
Considering Australia is not a Super Power like the U.S. of A. we are certainaly very lucky to have our $1 & $2 coins in our detecting range. which makes it a very profitable for a days detecting Specially if you find a 2000 $1 dollar mule. This coin was made in our Canberra mint an the operater used the dyes of our 10 cent coin which put 2 rims on the edge of the coin instead of 1 which made this coin very collectable ranging in price from $500 to $12000 depending on condition. They are not sure how many of these coins were minted and got into the currency.

Below2doe.

Here in the USA, our 1 cent piece (penny or zincoln) is often left in the change dish at cash registers by many of the younger generation. They are generally considered worthless. People don’t stop to pick them up and they are a nuisance to us in the metal detecting hobby. Since they are copper covered zinc planchettes they are damaged easily and rot away quickly from the inside. They quickly become unusable as currency.

They should really be given up and purchases rounded to the nearest nickel. Our dollars bills don’t last long either and quickly become worn.

I’m interested to hear input from both Canadian and Australians as I believe both are using $1 and $2 coins to replace paper bills as they last longer. Is this a good move?

It would certainly make detecting a little more interesting to be rid of the zinclon penny and add a dollar and two dollar coin.

Thoughts?

Rich (Utah)

For a long time our detecting club saved all the zincolns and after getting about 200 lbs of them we sent them to the Fed Reserve under their damaged currency replacment program. We were rejected. Seems the story goes they had been redeeming 'damaged' coins from a very large 'far east' nation. to the tune of some 20 million dollars, that were counterfeit! So, our Fed decided to stop taking legal US currency that was damaged. We cannot seem to get banks or anyone else to take them as the Fed will not reimburse anyone for the damaged coins.

I am puzzled as to why it would make a difference if you don't know if it a dollar or two dollars. As a coin and jewelry hunter i would be happy to have either of those coins come out of the dirt. The machine i use gives basically the same response for the Coper Penny, the US Dime and US Quarter. The strength of the signal is all i have to tell me what might be under the coil.

to GeorgeinSC:

The mint (Philly) restarted the coin exchange program in January. You can contact them to get the procedures to turn coins in.

"The US Mint currently pays $20 per pound for damaged dimes, quarters, and half dollars, and there’s no limit on how many mutilated coins you can submit."