Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac Deep on? or Deep off? Does it Matter?

masterjedi

I am sorry if this has been asked before... I have a new Etrac for the last few months and have read that deep on is deeper? I have read that it isn't? Makes no sense? Does anyone here know for sure what deep on really does?
Thanks Gary from Oregon

Deep on just helps with the id numbers to smooth them out but it doesn't make the machine deeper. It actually adds a filter to the processing. I use Fast on all the time as it removes a filter speeding the processor and helps in trashy environments to recover quicker. If you want MAX depth then turn the Volume Gain up to 29 or 30 so you can actually hear the really, really deep targets. A previous moderator did tests and once the Volume Gain went below28 deep targets didn't make a sound come out of the machine. I run mine at 29 all the time. Don't care to have a volume difference between shallow and deep targets as I wouldn't rather miss them. Make sure to run Ground Difficult and Trash High too.

Found this not my work.

Phil Beck

The Recovery Deep setting on the E-TRAC, Explorer and Explorer SE detectors is designed to enhance the detection and identification of deep targets. This article will explain the way in which deep recovery mode enhances the operation of the detector and points out those situations when you may not choose to use this setting.

When Recovery Deep is turned on, it only has an effect on weak signals, stronger signals remain completely unaffected. When Recovery Deep is turned on and a weak signal is detected, the identification signals undergo stronger filtering to smooth out the data. This leads to more stable and consistent Ferrous and Conductivity values. Given this, it may seem that as Recovery Deep could be turned on all of the time. Unfortunately, as in all things, there can be too much of a good thing. There are two situations when the Recovery Deep setting is undesirable.

In the case of weak, shallow targets, the stronger filtering of the Recovery Deep setting will cause the strength of these short, sharp signals to be decreased.

Also as a result of the stronger filter, signals from weak targets become smoothed. In environments with multiple deep targets relatively close together this smoothing may make adjacent targets start to appear to be merged. In this case the ID that the detector displays may become mixed between the two targets.

In summary, the Recovery Deep setting should be used in situations where you are expecting to find sparse, large, deep targets and in these situations you will experience more stable and consistent IDs.

With deep on it does become difficult to read multiple targets close together. For instance an 8 inch coin with trash above or beside it will not read well in numbers, sound and cursor position. I have tested in the field by turning it on and off over mixed targets. I never turn deep on.

Thanks for all of the replies... I was running deep on all of the time... I now need to try running with it off and see what it does. I will find a few deeper targets and try it both ways. I will let you know my results...:)

I keep Deep ON. I have for years. It works fine for me. normally use TTF too. FWIW, I have a Minnieball buried in un-sanitized soil (some iron) at 12" in my back yard, bad ground here, iron ore, red clay. I have three machines that will give me a good enough TID that I would dig it if I were hinting. When I say a good TDI, I mean a regular, not every swing but repeatedly and with a good tone.
>The E-TRAC
>The V3i
>The Sovereign GT

The F75 LTD and T2 will hit it but I wouldn't dig it in the field. They jump all over and I'd move on.
The Tejon in All Metal mode will hit it hard and I "might" dig it, according to how much trash in the area.
The Omega.. forget it.
Compadre... what? There's something there? Silence is golden... or not. LOL.

I like Deep ON!

J

jbow said:
I keep Deep ON. I have for years. It works fine for me. normally use TTF too. FWIW, I have a Minnieball buried in un-sanitized soil (some iron) at 12" in my back yard, bad ground here, iron ore, red clay. I have three machines that will give me a good enough TID that I would dig it if I were hinting. When I say a good TDI, I mean a regular, not every swing but repeatedly and with a good tone.
>The E-TRAC
>The V3i
>The Sovereign GT

The F75 LTD and T2 will hit it but I wouldn't dig it in the field. They jump all over and I'd move on.
The Tejon in All Metal mode will hit it hard and I "might" dig it, according to how much trash in the area.
The Omega.. forget it.
Compadre... what? There's something there? Silence is golden... or not. LOL.

I like Deep ON!

J

Will the Etrac not hit the minie ball with Deep off?

EtracTom-AdirondacksNY said:
Deep on just helps with the id numbers to smooth them out but it doesn't make the machine deeper. It actually adds a filter to the processing. I use Fast on all the time as it removes a filter speeding the processor and helps in trashy environments to recover quicker. If you want MAX depth then turn the Volume Gain up to 29 or 30 so you can actually hear the really, really deep targets. A previous moderator did tests and once the Volume Gain went below28 deep targets didn't make a sound come out of the machine. I run mine at 29 all the time. Don't care to have a volume difference between shallow and deep targets as I wouldn't rather miss them. Make sure to run Ground Difficult and Trash High too.

Wow, I used the volume for years to hit those deep targets at depth more softly. Without doing that (in productive spots anyway), I would have been looking at the screen too often. And the fun of the hunt was often listening to those deep soft silver sounding targets!
Now I wonder how many deep targets I just might have walk passed!

I never noticed a difference between deep on or off in my ground. I checked many targets at fringe depths in my ground (8"-10") and never saw a difference worth mentioning.
Now I wonder, with the before mentioned volume, if the culprit was much "deeper"?

Albert