Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ETRAC + SWA airline flight help

OCDfinder

Hey Wise Board,
I am second guessing every idea I have taking my ETRAC on flight. Do I pack in luggage and check-in. OR break down ETRAC and carry on? Or combination of each?

On another note...may be able to detect at a hunting Lodge G Washington was rumored to frequent.

I always carry my detector on the plane. Detectors are sensitive pieces of equipement and I always treat mine as well as possible. I usually pack my rods in my check-in bag and carry my coil and control box in my carry-on. TSA has never cared and when I have been asked about it, its the usual "do you find anything good" questions. My advice would be to carry it on. Bags get dropped/tossed/squished unintentionally and I wouldn't risk losing out on a good detecting vacation due to a damaged machine, but that is just me. Good luck - Marc

Thank you, MHirshmann. I am going to carry on and pack the poles. Do you pack the battery?

Realize now TSA fear kept me from thinking straight. I have flown over 100 trips and am warped by what I have seen. First time taking my favorite toy, thinking now, pretty sad state this is even a topic.

I have flown Southwest Airlines several times in the past. I packed the Explorer in a carry on sports bag. It was run thru the xray, no one ever has even asked what it was. They must see a lot of them go thru.......Good luck with your hunt. PS (If you use a Lesche type recovery tool don't forget and put it in with your detector. That might raise some eyebrows)

I've flown Spirit several times and have always packed my Etrac in carry on bag......nge

Put your batteries in your check in luggage and put your manual with what you carry on to verify what you have. Good luck and do not carry on your digger or PISTOL probe(if you have a pistol probe). Only problem I ever had was a young girl was in training and called her supervisor about my Excallibur. That is where the manual came in handy. Good luck. HH :minelab:

Only problem I have had while flying was with my pinpointer. TSA ran my backpack, which had my PPer in the finds pouch, and then the TSA agent took it aside and asked me if there was anything in it that was dangerous. I said no, and he asked to go through it, which of course I let him do. He went through it, found the pouch, but didn't bother to open it, so he didn't find the PPer, which is what he was looking for as it turned out. He took the backpack and everything back through the scanner and realized the PPer was in the finds pouch. He opened it and starred at it for a second, one can only imagine what he was thinking it was. I told him it was a handheld metal detector. Case closed, on my way i went.

I always carry the critical components with me when I fly and leave the digger in teh checked bag. As Roscue2 said, the propointer gets the most looks. I have had my carry on bag searched several times in the small airport in MS (GTR) when I fly out from visiting my Dad. Charlotte has never given me any issues.

I am still figuring out how I am going to carry 2 ETracs and 2 propointers when I fly to England in October. I don't want to get there and not be able to hunt so I am doubling up. 3 of us from our club are going to hunt with Chicago Ron. Hopefully it will be worth the effort (Roman gold would be nice).

Coil, Rod Shafts, Digging tools (usually the sand scoop) and the Batteries goes in the Checked Luggage......The manual and the computer are with me always in my carry on stuff.

Checked the pinpointer and digging tools in baggage...rest carried on. Passed right thru- however had to wait for wifey for 10 min. who got the full pat down bonus also additional screening of carry-on.

OCDfinder said:
Checked the pinpointer and digging tools in baggage...rest carried on. Passed right thru- however had to wait for wifey for 10 min. who got the full pat down bonus also additional screening of carry-on.
Good for you....I always use AA when traveling to Mexico and I have never had a problem.