Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Falsing....Falsing.....FALSING!!!!!!!:ranting::ranting::(

sunraysux

well....i am finally in the NOX pool...with a 600
most of the functionality and power i need....without the higher price tag and the hideous delivery wait
lots and lots to say...some good//some not
a bit of a like//hate going on with this quirky finicky machine.
been hunting spots i worked extensively with my Etrac
that were dryed up and heavily iron-laden....so not great spots
but with all the hype about the NOX bringing dead sites back to life and all.....i had to try
i am sure there are coins in these spots...and i am sure they are mingled with nails and other iron crap....and deep!
the real problem i am having is getting the damn thing to stop chirping and squeeking as a result of nails//etc
i have dug 100s of deep holes already after getting quasi-repeatable signals from both angles
only to get 6 nails or other iron debris....starting to get REALLYyyyyyyy agitated about this
i hunt mostly in PARK1...i N/C the machine...find a good spot to manually ground balance her and get that done...
then i start to hunt....after putting IRON BIAS down to 1....and also REC SPEED at 1 as well
and i work the SENS about 21-23
so hoping some of you experienced guys can illuminate a trick or 2 to help me get this issue more under control
the machine makes a ton of noise....and the TDI is much of the time worthless
i work her in 5 sounds...not 50
that would make me go POSTAL!!
i thought the Etrac was a quirky noisy bugger....and now i see that she is quiet and amazing
she just processes data too slowly and blurs signals in junky, iron infested areas
or i would have NEVER bought this NOX....

###ALSO.....what do you veteran NOX guys hunt in??
PARK1-2?....FIELD 1-2??
curious as to which modes you think are the strongest//deepest//most stable//etc??
thank you all very much for allowing me this vent...and i appreciate any help that you can share!!!!

Have you run the eTrac with Fast ON? How do you know it’s blurring signals and such? These are things you have dug with lower VDIs and they were high conductors with a degraded response from iron? It’ll be fascinating once you get a handle on the EQ to bring the eTrac along to see if it’ll see what the EQ is seeing once the target is located and which machine is more correct.
Sorry I’m no help. It sounds to me like the sensitivity is too high for conditions is all.

Field 1
GB 0
IBias 3
Sens 16-23
Recovery 4-6
Pretty stable on my sites, Digging deep and small targets

You are new to the machine and this level of agrivation is not warranted. It takes time to get used to any new machine. Lay off the videos and constant changing of settings. If you keep changing settings you don't learn anything as you have no baseline. Find some settings and hang in with the for a while. With only Sens adjustment. Get a feel for what's going on. No more YouTube videos. All ground is different.

I feel your pain - but I am mainly a beach digger. At my local park I was getting all these “1” ID’s. The tones drive me nuts. I have done a hard reset twice to get depth and expected behavior. But right now I am wondering if conditions just are way worse at my beaches than they ever have been, or if my EQ is somehow faulty. I see guys’ videos where they are constantly getting hard hits on coins. I’m not. It is so easy to miss targets as they sound so short. I’ve tried varying recovery speed but I need to stay around 4.
For you I’d suggest a hard reset and if that doesn’t work, just for kicks, try single frequency - maybe 40KHz. You might get the 1’s I did, try masking them out with the +/- thing.
I am not sure what actual difference noise cancel makes. I’ve never had it do anything noticeably good and it is never repeatable for me so how can it be reliable?
Ground balance might be an issue for you - try all 3 ways. Everyone that is raving about this detector is running sensitivity 23-25. Even mine has been able to run that hot at the beach after the hard reset - before that it couldn’t. Everyone that is complaining can’t run this hot - so we need to have some correlation - two detectors side by side and see if they work the same. I am convinced that this detector is very sensitive. It could very well obsolete my gold detectors. I just need some time alongside another one to be sure mine works as designed. I don’t believe the chatter is EMI. I think it is channel noise. You can surely tell when you hit a bad EMI spot. My NC number in those spots jumped all over and didn’t help reduce it. Just had to drop sensitivity to quiet it.

...who said anything about YOU Tube vids?!?!?
my settings are pretty consistent, i do not swap them out alot...they were derived from the manuals i received with the NOX 600
your settings appear to be for an 800

only had my Nox 800 for about 1 week,I mainly use Park 2, I was getting alot of falsing, then I turned the Sens down & it
quieted down. I'm really enjoying this detector. still learning the sounds & IDs.

Field 1
Auto GB
Iron bias 2 > 4
Sensitivity 18 +
Recovery 6 ( I have not noticed loss of depth )
Threshold 0
Use a SLOW deliberate sweep and practice good coil control

I feel the key to digging less nails (which both machines possess) is the Iron Bias setting. I was running 0 Iron Bias and I was digging deep nails left and right.
Once I employed and turned the iron bias to 3 this severely limited the nail digging.

Far as which mode I hunt in, I have been hunting in Park1 and Park2. Most of the time it has been Park1 as I have experienced Park1 seeing high conductive objects better then Park2.

I had some of these problems also, one thing to remember is that the more you use the nox the better you will understand it. I have to run the sensitivity down to 17 in some areas to quiet it down, you won't loose depth by doing this. I find that running GB Tracking really helps, i run it all the time on land and on the beach, also get use to the low numbers 1 and 2, i just pulled out a nice 14k gold bracelet on the beach that rang out as a 2 and was about 4" deep.

When you get ready for a bluetooth headphones for your 600 look up Archmage Clean Sound headphones about 45$ and work great with the 600

Back off the sensitivity. I've had mine since Feb. and I can tell you no matter the setting the EQ loves iron. I have dug single nails that gave a signal you couldn't tell it was iron no matter what angle or setting you used. It locks onto the tip and gives a steady TID and tone. Even on the beach it hits hinge pins and other iron targets and will on occasion like a bottle cap give a grunt tone when I wiggle the coil off the target. I also have dug a ton of 1 or 2 TID and have never gotten a good target. I have quit digging them as there are so many in the dry sand. I do dig them in the wet sand. It needs more points of discrimination than 40. I have gone back to my E Trac which I can tell a pop tab and bottle cap by using TTF. I'm not a dig all on the beach person which is required with a EQ. At my age I only have so many digs a day in me. lol

sunraysux said:
well....i am finally in the NOX pool...with a 600
most of the functionality and power i need....without the higher price tag and the hideous delivery wait
lots and lots to say...some good//some not
a bit of a like//hate going on with this quirky finicky machine.
been hunting spots i worked extensively with my Etrac
that were dryed up and heavily iron-laden....so not great spots
but with all the hype about the NOX bringing dead sites back to life and all.....i had to try
i am sure there are coins in these spots...and i am sure they are mingled with nails and other iron crap....and deep!
the real problem i am having is getting the damn thing to stop chirping and squeeking as a result of nails//etc
i have dug 100s of deep holes already after getting quasi-repeatable signals from both angles
only to get 6 nails or other iron debris....starting to get REALLYyyyyyyy agitated about this
i hunt mostly in PARK1...i N/C the machine...find a good spot to manually ground balance her and get that done...
then i start to hunt....after putting IRON BIAS down to 1....and also REC SPEED at 1 as well
and i work the SENS about 21-23
so hoping some of you experienced guys can illuminate a trick or 2 to help me get this issue more under control
the machine makes a ton of noise....and the TDI is much of the time worthless
i work her in 5 sounds...not 50
that would make me go POSTAL!!
i thought the Etrac was a quirky noisy bugger....and now i see that she is quiet and amazing
she just processes data too slowly and blurs signals in junky, iron infested areas
or i would have NEVER bought this NOX....

###ALSO.....what do you veteran NOX guys hunt in??
PARK1-2?....FIELD 1-2??
curious as to which modes you think are the strongest//deepest//most stable//etc??
thank you all very much for allowing me this vent...and i appreciate any help that you can share!!!!

I got my 600 back in April. This is my first Minelab machine so I can't compare it to their other detectors, but I can say it is a great machine. My only complaint is the erratic feedback you get in certain areas. It sounds to me you are doing way to much tweeking with the settings. I run in Park 2 with the 50 tones, factory setting, and the only thing I mess with is the sensitivity. I was digging pennies in a nail and trash infested parking lot yesterday just to see what it would do. It was hitting every nail and junk item in the gravel, but also would hit the penny. My numbers were all over the place. I slowed down and concentrated on the high tone and watched the screen. I would pinpoint the high number and dig. I pulled a nail, a pulltab, and a penny out of the same hole just different levels of depth. The penny was about 4" deep.
If you like Park 1, stick with it. Don't screw around with anything, except maybe sensitivity, and learn this odd-ball detector.
HH

As others have correctly said, you are trying to run it too hot. Lower your sensitivity and raise your iron bias if you are getting false signals on iron/nails. That's the whole purpose of the iron bias setting. It's a balancing act for depth and stability. Don't be afraid to cut the sensitivity back quite a bit either. At one freshwater beach, I lowered mine into the single digits and was still getting targets 2 and 3 scoops deep with a Stealth 920 scoop. This particular beach, a CTX and eTrac only wants to run single digits too due to the iron and mineralization, and will be a constant null if iron is rejected. When I first got there with the Nox, it took just a few sweeps to see what I needed to do. Once I raised the iron bias, and dropped my sensitivity, it was quiet until I was over a non ferrous target.

....at least it was for me. Just use the pre-set programs, they are actually very good with the pre-set settings for each mode. I use Park 2. I keep the Sensitivity between 20-23, threshold 0, ground balance 0, iron bias 0, recovery speed 3, and I'm having absolutely no issues with my 600. If you just stick with the pre-set settings, the machine will do the work for you. At least that what I've found with mine. Your mileage may vary.

great feedback Don/Dan/Todd/et al!!
really super appreciate the time and info
she sure is a quirky little machine and i have been so afraid to dial her back//dumb her down and lose the depth
but all the falsing just has to go...so as i get time this week, i will start to re-visit the sites
that have been giving me problems...plus i have some awesome permissions to get to....
now i just need a little darn RAIN!!!!!!
the ground is like a rock and tinder dry already and it isn't even July....UGH

As others have said:
1. Lower your sensitivity until you don't have the falsing.
2. Raise your iron bias until you aren't being fooled by nails.
My experience has been that Park 2 unmasks better than Park 1. I have mild soil but very trashy hunting areas - both ferris and non-ferris trash. My experience has also been that it is best to trust the defaults for the different modes. Adjust as needed for your situation but don't try to outsmart the settings until you completely understand this machine. I have had mine for about 7-8 weeks and still trying to get a feel for it.

I recommend field 2 with 5 tones, it is much quieter. Nails do read as good signals but are usually a higher pitch and shorter duration. Also keep an eye on the vdis to see if they jump around and read in the 30s and inconsistent, these are iron. Also don't get too bent out of shape if you got another metal detector with a smaller coil use that as well. I brought the equinox and an 80 Pro do the most trashy old home Homesite I've ever sean. They were doing construction and my buddy who owns the place ask me to come over and detect. That 11 inch coil was just too big for the site and I took out my -- Pro with a small coil and it worked great. I have found more silver in the past 6 months with my Equinox then in the last 3 years before I purchased it but I do feel your pain in heavily iron infested sites. Keep at it and I think having a smaller coil is going to wow the hell out of us.

If it aint broke then don"t fix it is the old adage. New user---stick to the factory settings. The Minelab boffins have worked hard to obtain the basics to operate straight out of the box. [ Ex Deus owner---now 800 and smiling ]

Turning down the sensitivity does help and I personally don't think you lose that much depth either. Same problem I had learning the Etrac. More is not always gooder. I found I was overpowering the machine and picking up what I didn't want. Once I applied this the machine ran great (Etrac that is) and the depth was still there. Good luck