Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ferrous - Coin Target Separation

From my perspective, I would feel comfortable using the GB OFF in places that I've successfully hunted with my Explorers, E-TRAC or basically any other detector I've used over the past 40+ years. My 705 provides information similar to what you are asking, and I know the soils around here are considered to be moderately mineralized. If I were going to hunt a location away from here, I'd likely check with that area's Extension Office or take a look at some of the mineralization mapping provided by the U.S Geological Survey. Those not in the US will need to find resources for their area. If the mineralization levels were much higher than those I encounter around here, or after arriving I found my TID's were erratic using GB OFF, I'd like to think I'd be willing to try using GB ON with Ground - Coin Target Separation. HH Randy

Thanks Randy. I guess a workaround would be to find a deeper target and then manually ground balance and check it again. I do get very bouncy Fe readings around here after 6" or so, so do know the is moderate Fe mineralization, but not high.

Some fields mineralization lelvels vary, due to fertiliser use only in certain areas.

Please pass on to Minelab how useful ground readings would be. I am sure they are there, just not displayed.

Thx again,
Albert

During the testing procedures, yes. I found a couple sites that provided more stable TID (and improved depth of detection) with GB turned ON. 95% of the time, I ran with GB OFF. I will likely get the recurring post that reminds me of how mineralized the soil is around Culpeper County VA. I know. I get that. My family settled in Culpeper County in the mid - late 1700's. I've been there and can attest to the nasty soil. It is in those sites, having the ability to set a proper GB, combined with Ground - Coin Separation, the performance of this detector should improve. But note that setting the proper GB is not the same as Tracking. To maintain the proper GB, as with any adjustible GB detector without tracking, you may need to "rebalance" the detector on a frequent basis as you detect those highly mineralized sites. HH Randy

markg said:
Does this baby have a true all metal mode, like the gold machines?
Etrac baby and Explorer baby does have its called TONE 1 and CONSTANT , I think CTX baby should have too.

Not sure what you mean by FE meter? The Smartscreen is both ferrous and non-ferrous mapping. 35 ferrous lines horizontal X 50 conductive lines running vertical. And the first number in the TID represents the ferrous properties of a target. Similar to the E-TRAC. HH Randy

Oh, iron oxide! When you asked about FE, I thought you were asking if it displayed the ferrous content of the target! Sorry about that, it's been a long week! :stars:
Yep, I am familiar with the F75. And no, the CTX 3030 doesnt' display the level of mineralization. HH Randy