Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

fill your holes!!

detectorguy

Way back in the day when the Explorer XS made its debut there was a group of, what I called it then, "Explorer locusts" that would swoop into a town (6, 8, 10 of them), pick all of the parks clean, and then head to the next little town around Illinois. One of the problems with them folks was the holes they dug - the size of the coil - and beveled inward. Then they would turn the plug back into the hole, step on the center of it and walk off. 3 days later there were big yellow dead spots EVERYWHERE - couthouse lawns and parks were closed off to metal detectorists in several areas around here. Well, somebody here in my town brought back horrible memories of that era - went to my favorite park here in town over the last couple of evenings and there are big coil sized plugs of dying grass every where. And they're not very good at it cuz I found a number of good targets near their holes. If I ever catch who it is I'm going to have their *^*%@ hanging off my Lesche digger.

Oh yea, finds near their holes - 1919 wheat, 1920 Buffalo nickel, 1909 Indian Head and a silver war nickel I need to clean to get the date.

I was detecting at the courthouse in Elkhorn, Wisconsin and saw someone had been there recently. They had cut plugs the size of dinner plates and did not fill them in properly or stamp them down. I've detected here for many years with no problems but got run off by the local police this last time.

Said this many times before: If the ground is dry- DO NOT GO DETECTING IN PARKS OR OTHER PUBLIC PROPERTY. It's just not worth losing detecting rights for everyone else.

Chris(SoCenWI)

That is really sad. It has been a while since I've had to clean up after another detectorist, but it does happen. The other type of detectorist that ticks me off is the dig it and leave it guy. :argue: He finds a target, digs it up, decides it is trash and leaves it next to his hole or tosses it to the base of the nearest tree for me to pick up. :veryangry: And then there are those who use the parks that continue to throw or leave their unsightly trash in the grass for kids to step on and others to pick up. People can be such slobs.

Huge plugs are certainly convenient for finding a deep coin quickly and without a scratch, but they can be really unsightly if not put back properly. This is true of all plugs, they can look awful if the edges aren't 'tucked' in, or if too much dirt is removed from the roots looking for a shallow target. The plug can go yellow a few days afterward in warm weather or if the grass isn't watered regularly. And big plugs look like excavations to those watching. If Bryce took a poll of the best way to recover a deep target in the grass, I'd be willing to bet he'd get a dozen different suggestions, at least.

Big or little plugs, cut on three sides or four is for the hunter to decided. The best advice I can offer it to go back a week or so later to some of your hunt sites and see what your "plugs" look like. If they are unsightly, dead or whatever, you've got some work to do. Yes, it is most likely that the grass will eventually grow back if the plug dies, but if it is a public place and the dead plugs are being pulled up when the lawnmower goes over it, somebody in a position of authority may just decide that metal detecting is a public nuisance.

For the sake of all of us, please try to do your best.

Back a few years ago I had a Fisher CZ-5 and a few others around me had White's machines. When the Explorer S and XS came out there was a group of guys who would go on road trips on the weekends and hit all of the little towns from St. Louis to around Bloomington and just TEAR UP the silver everywhere they went. Yep, they were like locusts in that they decimated the parks of silver and oldies and left just as quickly as they came.

OK - Now I are one. But that's beside the point :)

GREAT...was just trying to edit add something to my response to your post...and accidently deleted it:cool:

Wonderful:smoke:...now I have to go mow again...so maybe I'll try and post it later.

By the way Marty....them fellers' who liked to call themselves the "locusts"...they didn't get it all brother:smoke:...not even close.

Nobody does...and while the good coins are few and far between...they are still there if you work hard enough...learn the machine...and get lucky.

I've met you before...and know you are all 3 things...so just keep on huntin':thumbup:

It's happening today in chicago parks! These guys with thier shovel's are cutting these huge monster plugs that always pop back up. I only use a shovel in the deep woods. In parks and open areas I use a hand trowel only. I know a lot of guys are neat with shovels,but I think it looks bad. Some day it will be the cause of all chicago parks to be shut down to metal detecting! It has allready started in cook county forest preserve's. Back when I started detecting the cops didn't care,but the last year or two I have been kicked out of a couple of my best spots. The cop told me it's because of guys useing shovel's!

Same thing in my area in S.E. PA. I may be old but I swear if I run into who ever is leaving the holes that look like they used a backhoe its gonna be ugly. I'm not talking about out of the way places either its in groomed city parks.

I have md since 1968 and I have NEVER left a hole not filled in properly. And yes, I have know of folks that, in a "time frame window" that scourged many areas. If I find a memorial ii leave it on top of the ground, it used to be that some kid would get excited, but now a penny means nothing

[attachment 159360 smileymad.gif]
Hey public parks are fair game...but a little COMMON SENSE needed to kick in somewhere.,

I was told they were there almost every weekend...for months...and too many senior citizens...and town elders...etc...saw them...TOO OFTEN...and also saw what the grass looked like a few days later with a lot of brown spots.

It isn't a matter of what they found...or more importantly... what they MISSED:cool:

The problem was that they should have had enough COOTH to understand that it just didn't look good for the hobby to be there so often.

I can not tell you what it made me feel like to have a "high up" person in the town (whom I've known all my life)...ask me to leave a park I had hunted since I was a kid...but I FULLY understood why...and respected it.

He was very cordial about it...and truly understood how I felt. He remembered me from running track and playing basketball...had even "watched" me dig and fill my holes......and praised me for the way I conducted myself...and the way I removed trash...then disposed of it for the town.

Problem was that a few other people had ruined it for me.

Like you Marty...your post just brought back a VERY bad memory from 2 or 3 years ago.

Wow, does that bring back old memories.....:ninja:...............How sad.

I don't know if I should thank you or not Ean, but nice hearing from you............:happy:

I haven't had any monster holes dug in my courthouse lawn since those posts though, so I guess something good came from them.

I have a few folks here that may fill in their holes but they manage to throw the trash up against trees. Some people have absolutely no respect for anything. I also hate folks who can not manage to haul a can out of the park, they leave it in the hole they found it. My trash apron can haul almost anything. If you hunt you can haul the trash out. I can only hope that most of these wannabe's will be out of the hobby after it "Doesn't pay off".

Group of 2 or 3 guys ruined it for everyone by coming too often:thumbdown:

Still gonna' try to head your way sometime Larry...just don't know when. Heck...been tryin for 4 years now...so I'll just keep hopin':biggrin:

When you come see him let me know - I just live across the river and north a bit - would love to join y'all for a hunt.

We have time on our side Bryce, enjoy your Dad's company and we will get together one day.......:thumbup:

unfortunately some people have little respect and not much sense about when to hunt-how often to hunt-and what a site looks like later on because of it.

You should try and get them to reconsider and maybe allow park hunting with a "permit". They could charge like 25 bucks for the permit and the people who are just there to loot will not consider it. People like you who love to hunt and respect the place could then be protected and the town make a few bucks and you get to hunt your local (and I am sure...) favorite park. It can't hurt to ask.

I feel bad for you.

J

Yeah I remember that well bud...and I was steamed too...especially when they were all 3 using Explorers if its the ones I saw a many times. I just drove on by because everytime I came through town it seemed like they were there.
Just some people like that...no sense or respect for what is deemed acceptable and what isn't. yer right bud..common sense might have helped.