Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally found my first seated!

Ever since I started detecting, I've wanted to find a seated coin. Aside from being old, I think that they're really beautiful coins. They've always eluded me until a couple of days ago. I went with a friend of mine to a place that he had permission for. After several hours of hunting, I got a 12-42 at 4". I told my friend that it was the best silver sounding signal that I'd had all day. I dug it up and sure enough, it was an 1854 seated dime. I wish I would have taken an in-situ pic but I was too excited and pulled it out to see what it was. Even though the obverse is coated with black, I can still tell that there isn't any wear on this coin. The shield is full and her face is complete. I'm so happy that I finally get to cross a seated off my list, especially one with such great detail. Thanks for reading. HH!

[attachment 264759 DSC02862-2.jpg][attachment 264760 DSC02865-2.jpg]

Great find!!!!!!!
My first seated was a1854 quarter. It was worn almost smooth and it had a small hole in it. But im still proud of that coin as I'm sure you are proud of yours. I found mine 15 years ago. I hope you find many more first.:detecting:

Big Congrats on your first seated! They are such a beautiful coin. An O mint mark is nice too! Way to go!

If it doesnt clean up with soap and water..... well there are ways to keep 99% of the detail and remove the rust encrustion.

You certainly could try soaking in olive oil, but that may have very little effect.

I have had very good results with making a aluminum spoon and sandwitching the coin in lemon juice and applying a little heat. The corosion breaks down with the electrolitic action between the aluminum and silver in the presence of a mild acid.

In fact the last coin I did this way came out looking like it was recently struck with flow lines. Just be careful to not scrub the coin with abrasives or the foil. You can certainly smash the aluminum onto the surface of the coin.

I would only recommend this on a coin were the toning or corrosion is completely detracting from the value. You have a very nice coin as far as detail, thank you for sharing.

n/t

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm very proud of this one. Every time I think about it I end up smiling again, just like I did when I found it. I think my new goal will be to find another one. :) I'll have to practice cleaning a few crusty rosies that I have before I touch this one. That's a method I haven't heard of before, burl, and I'll have to give it a try.

A HUGE Congratulations on your 1st seated Jason! That's awesome man! Thanks for the pictures.

NebTrac

Congrats on finding the beautiful Seated ! :beers:

I've only found two myself in fifteeen years of detecting. They sure are hard to come by. I'm headed out today where I found one of them. Gonna break in this new 6" Detech coil in the trashy areas. HH George

Jason!! Wow is that a beautiful seated!! I have only found one myself and I've been detecting in under a year so, it's just a matter of right place, right time, and little luck I suppose and a good ear... oh ... and an Etrac of course. ha ha. I am really happy for you and hope you find more spectacular silver!!! HH!!