Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally - some news about the Manta - its the Fisher Impulse AQ

ginos said:
Vishay p16, Pa16 potentiometer
Very cool. Didn’t know about them, glad I asked.
Tintin, the Excal scheme although clever and works for the Excal, a pot designed for the job like these is much better - especially for DIY designs like I dabble with.

It's a lot of $ for a limited purpose machine. 2nd the connector sticking out the back as a bad idea. It will get stressed, and is highly likely to be a failure point in the future. As an owner of a vintage blue Excalibur, circa 2000, I'm familiar with long term failure points- and oh- my excal has never leaked. Not a drop. Also 2nd the 1 meter limitation on water depth. Why? Ha- if you drop this detector in neck deep water- boom- you have exceeded it's rating. That ain't very waterproof. I hunt with a top breathing snorkel full face mask for hours on end- why? LOL because it's worth it. Go where others won't, you'll find what others can't. End of story. Great looking machine (I like knobs) but I do have some issues with what I'm seeing.

I'm with antigrav on this one. That connector on the back may be sturdy, but the cable itself is not. I'm not overly clumsy but I have dropped a detector or two and that point of connection is gonna be an issue. And a one meter waterproof rating? Is that a joke? I'm all the time waist deep or more in the surf, if I drop the machine I will have exceeded the depth rating and most likely voided the warrantee. Might better advertise it as splash resistant. I mean, this is primarily a beach machine right?

Looks awesome for the most part.

I could go either way screen vs knobs. Knobs are fine.

Price - too much. The price point of the EQX was on point. I think they would sell a ton more units at a <$1000 price point. I wont be buying at 2k+. I wouldn't be buying at $1500+ either.

My cables extending out of the back on the Excaliburs with thousands of hours of use, underwater / above and never a issue. I'm very rough on my detectors, only the coil cable do I baby. And the Fisher "AQ" with High quality SS fittings, it will outlast me. I've followed a few on this project like Carl Moreland and I really feel confident that it won't be out until he feels it's lives up to his standards..

My only concern is the Warranty and the 1 meter depth rating. Give me a 2 year warranty (Or More) and I think I can maintain the close to 3 foot UW rating with chest deep hunting since I'm only 5 foot 9 inch's and shrinking...:shocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba7E3g23wQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAnbpBW-8GY

My guess is pop tops are going to sound great and bobby pins will sound like iron. Any thoughts?

Hi,

Iron hair pins sound like iron

iron is no longer a problem
only iron objects covered with non-ferrous film / its a problem
we have here, in Europe, iron coins
covered with a copper film
very fine / less than a tenth

the detector see the copper so it is sensitive .....
same thing for beer capsules
oxidize no problem: she is cut
new: he sees it as non-ferrous .....

but if you made like me, look for place heavy objects
you will find a lot of lead
a lot of musket ball on this last hunt
a battle (English / French) on the beach around 1760

and among the lead a little yellow :)

Modern crimped on bottle caps are a marvel of material engineering. Complex alloys/plating - problems for all discrimination systems.

n/t

Bottom line a 1M 2000. detector? Some Revenue will definitely be lost...At least 3M.would have been nice..

After the warranty runs out one could do Modifications so it could be used deeper. Hoping for a 2 to 3 year warranty, then go from there.

By the time your warranty runs out, Alexandre will have dreamed up something even better. This is (I strongly suspect) just the start of a lot of exciting new stuff.

The timeline for introduction is still shrouded in mystery - perhaps even from Fisher management. It’s a big new step - very demanding coil specs, complex multi-layer circuit board, whole production process to lay out and qualify. This ain’t Apple or Microsoft, it’s a small business with many demands on its limited resources in personnel and funding. They REALLY don’t want to screw this up by releasing this thing with issues.

The good news, the wheels are grinding, extremely fine, it takes time.

lytle78 said:
By the time your warranty runs out, Alexandre will have dreamed up something even better. This is (I strongly suspect) just the start of a lot of exciting new stuff.

The timeline for introduction is still shrouded in mystery - perhaps even from Fisher management. It’s a big new step - very demanding coil specs, complex multi-layer circuit board, whole production process to lay out and qualify. This ain’t Apple or Microsoft, it’s a small business with many demands on its limited resources in personnel and funding. They REALLY don’t want to screw this up by releasing this thing with issues.

I really do hope that it won't be too much longer. Already passed on the Equinox 800 when it came out. The waterproof TDI is sounding better with every month that passes with no Manta .... :sadwalk:

Daddy said:
lytle78 said:

I really do hope that it won't be too much longer. Already passed on the Equinox 800 when it came out. The waterproof TDI is sounding better with every month that passes with no Manta .... :sadwalk:

Daddy.........You woke me up when I seen this at the top of the page!

I was thinking the same (TDI Beachunter) until my dag Excalibur came down sick and I was stuck more or less hunting in PP for several hours. It still gave me some discrimination info once I got closer to the target but still a real pain in a target heavy area. The right place the TDI might be the ticket, but way more versatile would be a machine that hits deep (Or deeper) like the TDI, and discriminates out most targets except gold. It will discriminate (block) clad coins and silver but I am looking for Gold!!

We have held on this long, unless one is desperate, wait this thing out. Christmas is coming fast.

SO I got the excalibur back (close) to normal by replacing the (top knob Pot) Discrimination Potentiometer. It's More sensitive then I like but working as it should.

All 14k, total weight 39 grams..

I don’t know much and can say even less, but I am now confident that the program is progressing. No excuses offered - probably none needed - they never “promised us a rose garden”.

I have - as I posted a while ago - handled one last October in San Diego. It was everything that LE.JAG has said.

I have owned two TDI’s and a Beach HUnter ID. I expect the Beachhunter TDI will work fine and users will have success with it. I also am convinced that the Impulse AQ will out perform it, but that’s just me talking and until production machines are in the hands of serious practitioners like you folks, we will not have a consensus judgement as to its “value proposition”.

OldBeechnut said:
SO I got the excalibur back (close) to normal by replacing the (top knob Pot) Discrimination Potentiometer. It's More sensitive then I like but working as it should.

Sensitive due to the pot taper you were stuck with, or?

bklein said:
OldBeechnut said:

Sensitive due to the pot taper you were stuck with, or?

It was a discrimination issue. If the target was shallow it could ID it in disc mod, but if the target was very deep it could not determine ferrous or non ferrous. So I would get a deep target in pp but when switched to disc with the toggle it would not give me a ID. Either silence or a null ..most of the time, silence. I would have to be almost on the target to get a disc ID..and this is odd I had two excaliburs go this way. I am almost thinking in time if you use the toggle for several years the quick, on / off from pp to disc then back has caused the issue. I had this on another excalibur a few years ago. So this time around to save myself tons of digging I first replaced the coil on one of the excaliburs and it did not change, then I changed the disc pot..boom that was the issue. So now I have changed out all three pots on all three machines and problem solved. I do notice that coils and sensitivity can vary...