Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Day with the Fisher Impulse AQ

How does fish hooks and stainless hooks read? (And nothing is more tiresome than trying to hunt and fight waves that come rolling in.)
Adding a ground helps on discing out the small iron in low conductors too.
Most hooks have highly modulated sound edges in all metal on the AQ and I can call them as iron. In tone or mute, many will be discriminated, unlike the bobby pins. I don't think I've hit too many stainless hooks if any. Seems the carbon steel hook is stronger than the stainless one of the same size and if the line breaks or you need to cut the fish loose, will break down and let the fish have the opportunity to be caught another day. I see stainless hooks for sale (so there must he a market) but don't see a lot of sense in using them.

Most hooks have highly modulated sound edges in all metal on the AQ and I can call them as iron. In tone or mute, many will be discriminated, unlike the bobby pins. I don't think I've hit too many stainless hooks if any. Seems the carbon steel hook is stronger than the stainless one of the same size and if the line breaks or you need to cut the fish loose, will break down and let the fish have the opportunity to be caught another day. I see stainless hooks for sale (so there must he a market) but don't see a lot of sense in using them.
The stainless hooks are made of 420 martensite stainless which is a magnetic high carbon and chromium, moly and nickel alloy that is heat treated and very strong with corrosion and wear resistant, meaning they stay sharp. When you use a lot it saves money in the long run. (I buy boxes of 500 or 1000 for salt water.) The ONLY carbon hooks that are stronger are hand forged and between 6 and 10 inches long for monster fishing
(and you use 30--40 foot braided stainless aircraft cable as a leader.) A fish that gets away will spit a hook, stainless or otherwise...........:clap:

The stainless hooks are made of 420 martensite stainless which is a magnetic high carbon and chromium, moly and nickel alloy that is heat treated and very strong with corrosion and wear resistant, meaning they stay sharp. When you use a lot it saves money in the long run. (I buy boxes of 500 or 1000 for salt water.) The ONLY carbon hooks that are stronger are hand forged and between 6 and 10 inches long for monster fishing
(and you use 30--40 foot braided stainless aircraft cable as a leader.) A fish that gets away will spit a hook, stainless or otherwise...........:clap:
When I search on information on stainless vs steel hooks I get results that say the stainless are not as strong and will break rather than bend and retain the fish. Glad the hooks you buy work for you.

When I search on information on stainless vs steel hooks I get results that say the stainless are not as strong and will break rather than bend and retain the fish. Glad the hooks you buy work for you.
There are hooks and there are hooks, search harder Pilgrim. (the hooks I use are between ferrite and martensite in grain, and forged not bent wire and between 4/0 and 10/0)
I had 40 pound test Ande recommended for pier fishing, it broke on the cast: I went back to Trilene XL--problem solved.)

Reactions: tvr
There are hooks and there are hooks, search harder Pilgrim. (the hooks I use are between ferrite and martensite in grain, and forged not bent wire and between 4/0 and 10/0)
I had 40 pound test Ande recommended for pier fishing, it broke on the cast: I went back to Trilene XL--problem solved.)
I don't find monster hooks on the beaches I detect ... at least not yet and I've been at it for a couple decades now. I also get very sea sick even with a plenty of dramanine in me so haven't had the need to use any monster hooks because I stay in the protected bays, inlets or freshwater. I think the biggest hook I've used is a 2/0 fishing for flounder or blue catfish depending where I am.

Where are you pier fishing using the big hooks and what are you catching that takes them?

I don't find monster hooks on the beaches I detect ... at least not yet and I've been at it for a couple decades now. I also get very sea sick even with a plenty of dramanine in me so haven't had the need to use any monster hooks because I stay in the protected bays, inlets or freshwater. I think the biggest hook I've used is a 2/0 fishing for flounder or blue catfish depending where I am.

Where are you pier fishing using the big hooks and what are you catching that takes them?
Before the storms took them the piers from High Island to Gilchrist on the upper Texas coast were good for Red Fish, Black Drum, Rays, Sheepshead, Barracuda and Sharks on the large end: 5/0 & 6/0. For really big sharks using cut bait or live mullet double that. When we had Rollover Pass we used 1/0 or 2/0 and wade fishing. But the idiot pols filled Rollover in and it was the hottest spot on the Gulf Coast. You need big rigs/hooks on the Galveston jetties too---if you are willing to walk 2+ miles: some big Tigers have been caught there. Go out of Sabine Pass or Galveston for 4 hours for Red Snapper and everything else. I took a 10/0 rig loaded with dacron and hooked about a 15 foot Hammerhead out of Sabine: my brother & I fought him over 2 hours and finally cut the line. Or if you have a deep V fish the closer oil platforms: you need some strong line or monel because the barnacles will take a lot of fish. I eat benadryl like candy but if a storm catches you its for nothing. (You really know its trouble if you cast and the line wants to stay up in the air from the static electricity before the lightning starts.) Specs, sand trout, gaftops, flounder, pompano, reds, croaker and all the small stuff 1/0 or 2/0: but sometimes a ray will surprise you too. (I've see 100 lbs+ Sheepshead caught at the Causeway Bridge over Sabine Lake between Pt Arthur and Louisiana, and some fish you never see-they just go under the bridge and the line is cut. And the gar can be huge too.)
Sabine Pass at the time of the Civil War was 12,000. The Neches River up from there to Pt Arthur & Beaumont was shallow and silted in. After the war the river was dug out into a deep ship channel and Sabine
died and the other towns became big ports. Today if 300 live there it would surprise me, and the only there is a hardware store, 2 bait shops, 2 places to eat and offshore services & boats + they park drilling
rigs in the channel. The old town is swamp grass and the channel is great hunting with Pieces of Eight & English/French coins too, and Civil War Items like T. Miller buttons & the rarest of the Whitworths the 32 pounders only found here. (You do know of Dick Dowling and the Davis Guards and the battle here?) And Fort Manhassett is 6 mile west and there are intact magazines in a salt marsh, and a VLF will not work.:bouncy:

Before the storms took them the piers from High Island to Gilchrist on the upper Texas coast were good for Red Fish, Black Drum, Rays, Sheepshead, Barracuda and Sharks on the large end: 5/0 & 6/0. For really big sharks using cut bait or live mullet double that. When we had Rollover Pass we used 1/0 or 2/0 and wade fishing. But the idiot pols filled Rollover in and it was the hottest spot on the Gulf Coast. You need big rigs/hooks on the Galveston jetties too---if you are willing to walk 2+ miles: some big Tigers have been caught there. Go out of Sabine Pass or Galveston for 4 hours for Red Snapper and everything else. I took a 10/0 rig loaded with dacron and hooked about a 15 foot Hammerhead out of Sabine: my brother & I fought him over 2 hours and finally cut the line. Or if you have a deep V fish the closer oil platforms: you need some strong line or monel because the barnacles will take a lot of fish. I eat benadryl like candy but if a storm catches you its for nothing. (You really know its trouble if you cast and the line wants to stay up in the air from the static electricity before the lightning starts.) Specs, sand trout, gaftops, flounder, pompano, reds, croaker and all the small stuff 1/0 or 2/0: but sometimes a ray will surprise you too. (I've see 100 lbs+ Sheepshead caught at the Causeway Bridge over Sabine Lake between Pt Arthur and Louisiana, and some fish you never see-they just go under the bridge and the line is cut. And the gar can be huge too.)
Sabine Pass at the time of the Civil War was 12,000. The Neches River up from there to Pt Arthur & Beaumont was shallow and silted in. After the war the river was dug out into a deep ship channel and Sabine
died and the other towns became big ports. Today if 300 live there it would surprise me, and the only there is a hardware store, 2 bait shops, 2 places to eat and offshore services & boats + they park drilling
rigs in the channel. The old town is swamp grass and the channel is great hunting with Pieces of Eight & English/French coins too, and Civil War Items like T. Miller buttons & the rarest of the Whitworths the 32 pounders only found here. (You do know of Dick Dowling and the Davis Guards and the battle here?) And Fort Manhassett is 6 mile west and there are intact magazines in a salt marsh, and a VLF will not work.:bouncy:
The lighthouse is on Louisiana side.
The rigs are not being used,

Attachments

• lighthouse.jpg
    lighthouse.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 81
  • RIGS.jpg
    RIGS.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 79
What detector have you used there and are there EMI issues in the area that you have noticed?
Every make of VLF was used over the years, and a mag stick. I hit 4, 32 pounder spherical projectiles at 4+ feet with one of Eric Foster's P.I. units. They each had about a 1.5" fe2o3 cocoon from the salt immersion and sitting on the ground the VLF's nulled on them regardless of mode and GB. I knocked the cocoon off of one with a shovel and the VLF's would then hit it. No emi to speak of. This site is west of town 6.5 miles
and maybe 2 miles east of Sea Rim State Park. (no detecting)

Greetings all. I'm new here. I'm an old timer. I have owned (and still do) many machines from most of the major manufacturers. I have spent thousands on these machines thru the years. (Unfortunatly).
I live near the beaches on the central coast of CA.
I only search for gold. Period. Nothing else. Nothing against the general hobby detectorist who enjoys seeing what he/she can find.
Anyways, one of my first detectors was an early Minelab Pulse detector. I found a nice antique silver ring with a semiprecious stone on the beach in San Diego Cty.
Btw, I also search for gold nuggets in the goldfields. No luck yet.
After my Minelab Pulse, I just bot VLF machines. Plenty of them. I think one of my Garretts might of been a pulse. Other than that, just VLF's. Never found nuthing good.
(I understand that the meaning of "good" can vary among us). No gold nuggetts, no beach jewelery.
I even own a Minelab Equinox 800 with the big coil.
Finally I have realized that for my work, in my highly mineralized soil, I absolutely need a pulse machine.
So I am saving up for the Fisher Impulse. After watching all of Beechnuts Utube vids, I am def getting the Fisher Impulse.
I already own another Fisher. The two box machine.
I'll let you know when I get my machine. Very much looking forward to it.
Any tips for finding salwater beach jewelry appreciated.
For sharing finds, please mention what part of the beach you were on (dry sand/wet sand/water),
and what mode and settings you were running. I will do the same.
Sounds like fun...

Greetings all. I'm new here. I'm an old timer. I have owned (and still do) many machines from most of the major manufacturers. I have spent thousands on these machines thru the years. (Unfortunatly).
I live near the beaches on the central coast of CA.
I only search for gold. Period. Nothing else. Nothing against the general hobby detectorist who enjoys seeing what he/she can find.
Anyways, one of my first detectors was an early Minelab Pulse detector. I found a nice antique silver ring with a semiprecious stone on the beach in San Diego Cty.
Btw, I also search for gold nuggets in the goldfields. No luck yet.
After my Minelab Pulse, I just bot VLF machines. Plenty of them. I think one of my Garretts might of been a pulse. Other than that, just VLF's. Never found nuthing good.
(I understand that the meaning of "good" can vary among us). No gold nuggetts, no beach jewelery.
I even own a Minelab Equinox 800 with the big coil.
Finally I have realized that for my work, in my highly mineralized soil, I absolutely need a pulse machine.
So I am saving up for the Fisher Impulse. After watching all of Beechnuts Utube vids, I am def getting the Fisher Impulse.
I already own another Fisher. The two box machine.
I'll let you know when I get my machine. Very much looking forward to it.
Any tips for finding salwater beach jewelry appreciated.
For sharing finds, please mention what part of the beach you were on (dry sand/wet sand/water),
and what mode and settings you were running. I will do the same.
Sounds like fun...
I was out yesterday with the Impuse AQ LTD and got a reminder of the one thing I dislike the most about it ... susceptible to EMI. When I got in front of one resort that also had a lot of people on the beach in front of it the chatter started. Turned the sensitivity down to 2 until I got away from that resort. Did find a knife in front of that resort (pictured). You mention San Diego ... lots of military activity and there were some reports from an Impulse AQ user in Pensacola who encountered EMI issues possibly connected to the military activity.

In any case; learning to hear the edges of the tone sounding on targets in all metal mode helps a lot. It took me longer than I expected to get my head around the AQ since I could pretty accurately call iron or not iron with the Detector Pro Headhunter Pulse. I found Clive James Clynick's book "Pulsepower! Finding Gold at the Shore with a PI" a useful read.

16Sept23Knife1.jpg
16Sept23Knife.jpg

I think if you could learn the EQ800 it would do best for you. Unless perhaps if black sand is an issue. A lot of iron in your beaches. The AQ gets small stuff that you might not want. I don’t hunt often enough with my machines to be able to audibly discriminate so I dig a lot of trash. I did the best with my CTX - but I have the most time on it and my brain gets the audio - plus it has features that the other detectors do not have. I found an old Victorian gold ring at San Simeon. Anyone could have found it as it wasn’t too deep. The AQ misses targets and I’m not sure they all are just coins. But it is a sweet pi machine that runs very quiet for me and it very light. For me, the issue is that there just aren’t any targets other than tent stakes, bobby-pins, and bottle caps. You my have beaches nobody hunts often, mine are hunted day and night, often gridded. I just did some tweaks on my dual field and I bet it gives the AQ a run for the money now.

My opinion, I don't think there are any production PI water machines that can touch the AQ, BUT why I would not recommend it to anyone at the moment is the battery life. Future wise, let's hope they release a upgraded unit.
Out a few weeks ago with the AQ. small signet

Hi TVR!
I was out yesterday with the Impuse AQ LTD and got a reminder of the one thing I dislike the most about it ... susceptible to EMI. When I got in front of one resort that also had a lot of people on the beach in front of it the chatter started. Turned the sensitivity down to 2 until I got away from that resort. Did find a knife in front of that resort (pictured). You mention San Diego ... lots of military activity and there were some reports from an Impulse AQ user in Pensacola who encountered EMI issues possibly connected to the military activity.

In any case; learning to hear the edges of the tone sounding on targets in all metal mode helps a lot. It took me longer than I expected to get my head around the AQ since I could pretty accurately call iron or not iron with the Detector Pro Headhunter Pulse. I found Clive James Clynick's book "Pulsepower! Finding Gold at the Shore with a PI" a useful read.

View attachment 46527View attachment 46528
Hi TVR! Thank you very much for your post. Congrats on that knife! Looks like something that you can actually use. I would soak it in alchohol for a couple of days first. You dont want to get tetanus.
I dont know why Finds doesnt have a forum for the Fisher Impulse.
This is one machine that could really benefit from having a dedicated forum.
It is not a turn on and go machine by any means. Many hours of use and study are required before becoming proficient. But in the hands of the right detectorist, this is an awesome machine. I suspect that most folks write off these PI machines due to such a big learning curve.
Thank you about the info on EMI.
I'm sure the owners manual does not cover things like resorts and military bases.
And thank you about the book. I will def get it. I can use all the help that I can get. As you know using a PI machine on a saltwater beach is not that easy. Alomg with the gold fields, prob the most demanding e
I think if you could learn the EQ800 it would do best for you. Unless perhaps if black sand is an issue. A lot of iron in your beaches. The AQ gets small stuff that you might not want. I don’t hunt often enough with my machines to be able to audibly discriminate so I dig a lot of trash. I did the best with my CTX - but I have the most time on it and my brain gets the audio - plus it has features that the other detectors do not have. I found an old Victorian gold ring at San Simeon. Anyone could have found it as it wasn’t too deep. The AQ misses targets and I’m not sure they all are just coins. But it is a sweet pi machine that runs very quiet for me and it very light. For me, the issue is that there just aren’t any targets other than tent stakes, bobby-pins, and bottle caps. You my have beaches nobody hunts often, mine are hunted day and night, often gridded. I just did some tweaks on my dual field and I bet it gives the AQ a run for the money now.
Hi Bklein! Minelab CTX? Another VLF machine? No thanks! (Esp at that price!) I'm done with VLF machines. And I will never buy another Minelab. Way over hyped. And way over priced! Might be OK for the general hobby detectorist.
But not going to work on my beaches and gold fields.
Re your suggestion, I have already learned the Minelab Equinox 800.
Another overhyped Minelab product! I dont even buy thier "Multifrequency" scam.
"Multifrequency: We will decide what frequencies you are running and furthermore, we wont tell you what frequencies you are running."
Gee thanks, Minelab!

First day with a new machine after a ten-year break for me. Not sure what I was thinking, but it is certainly great to be back.

I am one of those guys who decided to take a chance on the AQ Limited. Not many positive things out there but, at this point, I think I have acquired enough patience to give this machine a chance.

Spent about two hours on the waterline following the ebb tide. Set the detector to the factory recommended settings and off I went. Low and slow...low and slow...repeat. Two things made the machine behave badly: swinging quickly and the boulders near the jetty. Otherwise, I had no issues. I was hoping that someone else might be out detecting to see if I would experience interference.

Found about 30 targets in two hours. Lots of junk, but I dug every signal. Found the watch and earring at about 10-12" in about a foot of water.I did find my share of bobby pins. Discrimination (when I remembered to use it) didn't eliminate them. Not a deal breaker...just part of the learning curve.

It's amazing how tired one gets after being out of the game for so long, but half a sandwich is better than none at all. HH.

JC
Nice, Jeff! Keep up the good work! Looks like you are on to something. Oh yeah, those big rocks will drive most detectors crazy.

Hi Oldbeechnut! Luv your Utube vids! You have certainly proved the critics wrong about the Impulse!
I'm going to get one for sure.
I dont care about the battery life.
I'm an old timer, not in any shape for long detecting periods anyways.
Keep up the great work! You rock!
My opinion, I don't think there are any production PI water machines that can touch the AQ, BUT why I would not recommend it to anyone at the moment is the battery life. Future wise, let's hope they release a upgraded unit.
Out a few weeks ago with the AQ. small signet

First day with a new machine after a ten-year break for me. Not sure what I was thinking, but it is certainly great to be back.

I am one of those guys who decided to take a chance on the AQ Limited. Not many positive things out there but, at this point, I think I have acquired enough patience to give this machine a chance.

Spent about two hours on the waterline following the ebb tide. Set the detector to the factory recommended settings and off I went. Low and slow...low and slow...repeat. Two things made the machine behave badly: swinging quickly and the boulders near the jetty. Otherwise, I had no issues. I was hoping that someone else might be out detecting to see if I would experience interference.

Found about 30 targets in two hours. Lots of junk, but I dug every signal. Found the watch and earring at about 10-12" in about a foot of water.I did find my share of bobby pins. Discrimination (when I remembered to use it) didn't eliminate them. Not a deal breaker...just part of the learning curve.

It's amazing how tired one gets after being out of the game for so long, but half a sandwich is better than none at all. HH.

JC
I've been pout of the game for a few years after about 40 years of swinging, yes getting old....I may order me one up for Okinawa, many nice beaches here and have done good about 20 years ago, but now need to go deeper because of the military Americans here getting into it it, Thanks for the info.
Anything else you can give me, I would appreciate it

The beach I frequent with the AQ Limited here in Oz is large and flat at low tide.
If using "Disc" then our $1 and $2 coins together with silver rings are low tone, so that is not an option as the $$ are paying for the fuel.
Gold is far between so even a bottle cap get dug, just to break the monotony.
When water hunting I use CZ-20s, have done so for 20+ years.
Early Fisher Impulse is also good for water hunting as it is a no motion PI detector.

:cheers:
Me and my son use the fisher Impulse back around 2000 and cleaned up here in Japan, I have also done well with the CZ, been aways for a few years and will update to the AQ I think
The Manticore is not bad too at the depth