Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First deep silver with NOX

Dan(NM)

Well, I must say today was very interesting in more ways than one. I went back to the old high school again today expecting to dig more nickles. That didn't happen, but, I was able, after digging quite a few beaver tails, to call then before digging them. They rang up in my soil at 11-12 solid hits. Yesterday the nickles read a solid 13, I did get fooled a couple times by ring tabs. I was able to dig my first silver today, a 41 Merc at 4-5" read 24-26, it was a screamer. I was running 5 tones, recovery at 5, 0 iron bias, sens at 20, park mode1 manual GB. After a couple of hours of digging a dozen or so small items that read from 8-19, I decided to cherry pick. I went into Park 2, 2-tones, recovery speed at 4, tone break set to -9 -20 with the volume turned all the way down, lowest tone pitch possible, manual GB, sens 23. I was only able to hit a wheat sitting on top of the ground where a pipe had been put in and then a copper bracket about an 1" long at 9". This is where it gets interesting. I got the hit on the bracket , very intermittent high tone, very iffy hit. I knew before digging how deep it was by using my Periscope Probe, I hit it at a solid 9" I decided to run thru each mode to test how each one would sound, each mode hit the target, but, not very clean. This was the eye opener, when I came back to Park 1, the signal cleaned up considerably. The tone was cleaner and more consistent, then I remembered reading in the quick start guide that Park 1 was for general hunting and coins, while Park 2 was for fine jewelry. I'm only guessing, but, Park 2 must use a different set of frequencies than Park 1. I quickly did a master reset and modified Park 1 to 2-tones, recovery speed at 5, tone break set to -9 -20 with the volume turned all the way down, lowest tone pitch possible, manual GB, sens 23

I worked my way back to my car getting ready to leave. On my final pass I get a repeatable high tone and a bouncing 23 every other pass. When I pinpointed the number stayed at 23. Again, using my Periscope, I made contact with the target at 9" cut the plug, dug out the dirt down to the 9" mark. I located the target again with my probe, took my finger and pulled the dirt off the coin exposing a shiny looking coin :biggrin: You can see in the photo the dirt I pulled off the coin. I measured the depth and sure enough, a little over 9" That's exactly what I was hoping to see, deep silver , proper ID on top of that.

I scanned the hole again and got another hit off to the side about 6", repeatable, ID at 24-25 down 7". I'm thinking double silver baby!!! Well, it turned out to be a jack :)

I left there thinking it may be time to sell my new CTX, I don't think I'll be using it any time soon, why would I??? I had a Deus, Etrac and now the CTX in the last 3 years, I may get beat up for this, but, I see no need for having any other machine after seeing what I've witnessed in just 9 hours of hunting. I've been hunting on and off for almost 30 years, I'm very excited about this machine and the potential once someone puts in the time necessary to master it. I've gone from being a believer to being a knower after what I've seen in just 2 days!!!

BTW....In 2-tones, Iron Bias is not adjustable, the option isn't avaialble. Also, I've decided I'll need to video a few of the deeper hits before digging so that I don't get called out for exaggerating my digs.

Nice digs brother!!
You might want to mention the volume {how loud or hard} the deep silvers sounded, not trying to be to picky just more info.
Thanks Laplander

Good point, I had the volume set as loud as I could on the machine and on the tone bin. The tone was plenty loud enough, In pinpoint I was able to tell it was deep compared to a more shallow target.

Congrats on the deep silver. Great post! I'm really impressed at the info you provided.
Thanks!

Way to go Dan!! Thanks for sharing!!

MR. GOSS! You don’t know what a Periscope Probe is?? Oh for SHAME!! :lol:
Dan will tell you,it’s pretty cool where you can get them in the ground....

Thanks for the post and the info. I'm still waiting on my Nox 800. Congrats on your silver..

sgoss66 said:
Dan,

Great post, great info, and GREAT DIGS! Especially that deep Merc!

Also -- what is a "periscope probe?" Never heard of that? It told you coin depth? I'm confused...

Steve

Thank you Steve.

Well.....let me show you something!!!!

It's a pulse induction probe that can tell the difference between ferrous and a nonferrous target. The probe is 14" long and made out of titanium with a zirconium tip. You can adjust the pulse rate and pitch. I've been using one since they came out in 2000 and would be lost without it. I can tell if I have iron before I ever cut a plug. If the ground is too hard, I go old school, cut a plug and probe around the hole with the Periscope. I carry a plastic ruler so I can accurately tell how deep I need to go.
I've tested at least a hundred or more targets just to know if I'm hitting iron or a good target. If I hit iron, I'll probe around in a 6" diameter circle to make sure no good target is hiding next to it.

Man, I'm spoiled :thumbup:

Dan, don't sweat being doubted. Haters gonna hate and Trolls are gonna troll. We all know who has integrity and who doesn't around here.
Nice hunt! Keep em comin.