Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt with my new CTX and accomplished two of my lifetime detecting goals!!!

bigboar

Took my new ctx out for its maiden voyage today and finished having accomplished crossing two goals off my wish list. I found the nickel variety 3 cent piece in my backyard a couple years ago. Well, ever since then I have hoped that sometime throughout my life I would find its matching partner in the silver variety. As of today, that wish is now crossed off the list! My very first target of the day and about 3" deep i got a nice hit at 12-32. I start digging and out comes an 1852(didnt know date at the time and didnt want to touch it until it was soaked in water) silver 3cent version!!! Needless to say, I would have been happy with my day if I didnt find another good target.....
I detected another two hours and dug numerous junk items. Figuring I would call it a day I started up the path back to my vehicle. I continued to detect while walking. I get a nice signal at 2" reading 11-39,11-40....Dig my hole and see a wheat penny. I wasnt real excited when I saw it, I flipped it over and see 1909. I start thinking to myself its just another 1909 but that little part inside me started saying to check it. I flip it back over, do a little wiping and there it is......VDB!!!! That is another coin I on my list(well,really a 1909s VDB but I will take it).
I have found items with more value but today will be a day I will never forget!!! I still cant believe I have found both varieties of 3 cent pieces while detecting!!!! It may be just wishful thinking(LOL) but I swear it looks like I see a very faint S under the date on the wheat...what do you guys think?

Wow! I'd kill to find a 3 cent piece! Great work!

That is a wish of mine too is to find some 3 centers! That does look like a worn S on that 1909 too. Very nice finds. :bouncy:

Very nice!

A great maiden voyage....:clapping:

Great finds indeed! Looks like an S to me also. The CTX 3030 is a machine that just finds targets others have missed. A silver 3 cent piece at 3 inchs deep makes you wonder how it was still there. Congratulations and continued HH :minelab:

Thanks all!!!! It makes me feel good that others think they see the "S" also and I am not just making myself see something that isnt there. Also, here is a pic of the 3 cent pieces together. When I found the nickel version I was told that it was the hardest of the two to find because most would pass over it as a trash signal.

hershey1 said:
Great finds indeed! Looks like an S to me also. The CTX 3030 is a machine that just finds targets others have missed. A silver 3 cent piece at 3 inchs deep makes you wonder how it was still there. Congratulations and continued HH :minelab:

Thanks hershey...It is a new spot I have and its never been hunted. Its on private property. So far, I have found 3 old wells on the land and a map showing an old school once stood on the property. Yesterdays hunt was just a scratch off the surface of the area. I think I might just have a spot to keep me occupied for quite awhile..

I have had two people look at it at work and both think they see an "S" on it also. Does anyone know what I would have to do to have it verified? Its a big difference between a value of 1909 vdb in poor condition at $12.50 and 1909 S vdb in poor condition at $950. That is if this site is correct...
http://cointrackers.com/coins/13495/1909-s-vdb-wheat-penny/

here are pics of two of the wells...

Awesome finds with the "new" CTX - a grand start to your relationship! I found an 1868 nickel 3 center a few years ago near a cellar hole - probably because I was running TTF on my E-Trac and was digging everything above iron. The silver variety is still on my bucket list. As for the 1909, you would have to look at it under a loupe to confirm a mint mark or not - either way, it's a nice VDB!

Wow, quite the weekend...
Congrats..
HH...
Sonnydigs.

MHirschmann said:
I enhanced the digits and it certainly looks like there is an "S" there. Congrats on a great first day and thanks for sharing.

thanks mh!!!! I am gonna get it checked out hopefully sometime this week. I think it is an "S" which if that is the case I am shocked!!! It looks like poor condition has a minimum value of $950.00 and if thats the case I cant complain about covering almost half the cost of the ctx within my first 4 hours hunting!!!!

http://cointrackers.com/coins/13495/1909-s-vdb-wheat-penny/

You are more than welcome. I hope for you it is an "S." Let us know what you find out, oh, and don't try to clean it any further yourself (I bet you already knew that).

Also, you should submit this story to Minelab Success Stories. This is a really cool first day with a new detector and posting there is the perfect place to do it. I never thought I would win on there, but I did, so you never know.

MHirschmann said:
You are more than welcome. I hope for you it is an "S." Let us know what you find out, oh, and don't try to clean it any further yourself (I bet you already knew that).

Also, you should submit this story to Minelab Success Stories. This is a really cool first day with a new detector and posting there is the perfect place to do it. I never thought I would win on there, but I did, so you never know.

yes, that i knew and why I only soaked it in water..looks like just rubbing it to hard could make it disappear. I submitted a story earlier today but now I am wishing I had waited to submit it having your pic to go along with it..lol. hopefully it will get posted on there in the next few days and I can make a comment with a link to this thread.. It couldnt hurt. I really appreciate you doing that for me as it makes me feel better about just thinking it was me having wishful thinking. I knew I saw your name somewhere...it was in the monthly finds winners when I was looking at them earlier. Is your first name marc?