Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found silver today plus possible hand grenade

G. E. Edwards

[attachment 282047 1.jpg][attachment 282048 2.jpg]

Boy oh boy what a day! I was just starting to detect today and my first coin was a 1943 S war nickel, then a few clad , then a wheatie. Then about a hour goes by with just clad and I hit a silver mans ring at 10'', Then a silver rosie, wow nice find. so then about ten minutes went by and I got this iron and high tone together, dug it up and out come this grenade shaped object, being a Vietnam combat veteran I knew not to touch that puppy. I called the police, they came out real fast, looked at it and decided they better call the bomb squad on this one. they shut down half the beach and waited for the bomb squad to show , by then they said I could go and I went home not knowing the results of was it live or a practice grenade, no matter It can't hurt anyone now. That's the second one found on that beach in less then six months.

I guess that amounts to a good day. Not sure really. I think a follow up call to the PD be be wise before you hit that spot again. Either that or crank up that iron discrimination.

That sounds like a blast!

Sounds like a WW2 beach landing training area. The 1943 nickle might be an indication. There were training areas and military facilities all the way up and down the coast of California in that era. I think I mentioned one time that an MDing buddy and I hit a beach north of San Diego one time and it was almost impossible to search because of all the brass cartridges buried in the sand. Keep up the good hunting.

Gene get back to finding GOLD. Turn it in for find of the month. :rofl: Thanks for your service. I served with the 1st Inf. Div. 1/2 bat. in Vietnam 67-68. Thanks for posting. HH :minelab:

Hey Hershey,

Nice to know your a fellow Vietnam Vet. I was with the 11th Armored Cav. Tracks and tanks 69-70 I was a track commander .50 cal gunner. Not a fun year at all, glad to see ya made it home. We spent two months in Cambodia, there's a three night special on cable that shows ever so often showing my unit crossing over into Cambodia, that place was a nightmare. Yes I do need to find another gold ring it's been to long. finding grenades sucks, but I did make a local news paper, didn't know it till someone told me. Welcome home my friend, Gene

Nes, you and GE have my utmost respect and thanks for your service. I spent '67 through '70 as a gun bunny, myself. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but, I d*mn sure wouldn't do it again!!

Glad you recognized the grenade and no one was hurt.....you did good!

Stay safe,
Roland

Gene seems to be the only old soldier here that finds grenades on the beach, but youngsters like you two were lucky too get holidays in warm climates. I spent the worst winter of my life as an Army 24th Division Artillery Forward Observer on the front lines in Korea in '51 and parts of '52 freezing my butt off. A buddy of mine who passed in 2012 was a Marine machine gunner all the way up.to the Chosen Reservoir in 1950. I was looking at DVD's of the Korean war for sale on Amazon last night, and one was of the troops fighting their way back from Chosen to the sea. Unlikely as it seems, there is a picture of him on the front of the jacket carrying a machine gun through the ice and snow. I couldn't believe it. Not a good place to MD I think.... nes .