Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

g-2

jmaryt

in a "trashy" park setting,or any trash laden site for that matter,are you guys finding
the 5" dd coil "separating" better than the 11 dd?..also as to depth,what depths on
average are you seeing on coins using the 5" dd?..11" dd?..thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I've been wondering the same thing, j.t., so will be interested in hearing answers. I think the 11" does a pretty good job seeing targets that are closely adjacent; if the 5" is not too much shallower, though, it may be even better. I hate to give up much depth, but EFFECTIVE depth in the trash may be actually greater, with the small coil, if it sees between the junk pieces better...

Steve

This is a real good explanation of coil size and their benefits by Nasa Tom. I hope it helps to answer your question. As for actual depth tests between the two I have not done this but I'm sure someone here can help there.
HH

It is a common misconception that a larger coil will most always ascertain greater
depths. A large coil can be a tremendous
help, but only in a few remote scenarios.
Without being too scientifically technical,
a few explanations and ground rules must
be explained.
First, a metal detectors coil does not
look at only the

jmaryt said:
in a "trashy" park setting,or any trash laden site for that matter,are you guys finding
the 5" dd coil "separating" better than the 11 dd?..also as to depth,what depths on
average are you seeing on coins using the 5" dd?..11" dd?..thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

In "trashy" areas, on the 5" coil separation is better than the 11" coil as the 11" coil can have multiple targets under it at one time. Also, as far as depth on the two coils go to this link.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?80,1424550

[size=medium]And only an air test.

5 inch coil

1809 1/2 cent 9"
Minnie Ball 7"
1/2 Half Dollar 8"
Mercury Dime 7"
Seated Dime 6 1/2"
Sliver Nickel 6 1/2"
Buffalo (clad) Nickel 8 1/4 "

Now I was able to run on it Disc Mode , 100 Gain, Not Ground balanced

11 inch Coil

1809 1/2 cent 9 3/4
Minnie Ball 9"
1/2 Half Dollar 9 1/4"
Mercury Dime 7"
Nickel (clad) Buffalo 9 3/4
Silver Nickel 10 1/4
Seated Dime 8 1/2"

I was not able to run this hot, disc mode, 85 gain, not ground balanced

8 inch Coil

1809 1/2 cent 8 3/4
Minnie Ball 9 1/2
1/2 Half Dollar 9 1/4"
Mercury Dime 7 3/4"
Nickel (clad) Buffalo 11"
Silver Nickel 10 1/2"
Seated Dime 7"

able to run at disc mode, 95 gain, not ground balance[/size]

air tests ,and coin garden tests on depth are ok for a "general" understanding
of depth on a particular unit,however to be specific,i am looking for "old" dirt
'EFFECTIVE depth of found coins in "real" world environments...i am hoping guys have enough time on
the g-2 to reveal actual "in the ground" depths people are experiencing in the trashy areas previously mentioned!
my apologies for NOT being specific in this regard initially!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Excellent post. This is why I enjoy using the G2. It may not be the "depth" monster compared to other models, but it is certainly one of the most "effective depth" monsters out there IMHO. Jmaryt, in an answer to your question, yes I use the 5in. coil in all my trashy sites. I was out yesterday afternoon for a couple hours in a local park, and made a good haul in clad and a cheap necklace. G2 and the 5in coil are most effective. Txquest

ron_c said:
Ken In Georgia, is the 8" coil the concentric round coil and does it work well on the G2?

I'm still working with it, seems to do well, but i need to test it in an iron area to really see.

Ken,
Is there any way you could do a video doing these air tests so I can hear the audio responce you are getting at these depths. I sent my G2 to FT, they say that there is nothing wrong with my G2.......

hey j.t. --

I have not been using my machine very long, as you know, so I haven't had it on any "deep coin shooting" hunts, searching for old coins specifically, until Saturday. Hunted about 3 hours at a park I'd never hunted before, and I got a wheat penny and a 5 mil tax token -- both at a measured 7" Saturday, using the 11" DD coil, running 100 sens. in disc mode, disc 58 -- and these were NOT soft hits. They were good, loud, clear hits -- unmistakable "dig me" response from the machine. You are totally right, that air tests and "coin garden" tests are good to do, but not the same as "in-ground" results. This ground I was hunting was ground phase 58 (about 1-2 bars Fe3O4, if I remember correctly). I was impressed, especially since I hunted with two of my Etrac friends, and their hauls were no better -- two wheats and a tax token between them. So, the GB was "in the ballpark" and doing a really great job!

Steve

CDDZ said:
Ken,
Is there any way you could do a video doing these air tests so I can hear the audio responce you are getting at these depths. I sent my G2 to FT, they say that there is nothing wrong with my G2.......

I'm working on that right now :cheers:

i'm happy to hear this steve!..exactly the kind of info i am looking for!
i believe this detector has the "potential" to be an excellent coin sniper,however ya HAVE to get down there
to play ball with the e-tracs and others,and to be perfectly frank,i would PREFER to use a 'simple " tool like the g-2 to
find the stuff,as i really don't like "screwing" around with features,and controls,just want to hunt in the junk,AND get results!
if the g-2 can" consistently" get down,say 8 or 8 inches on dimes then,my interest just escalated 100 fold!..just sayin!
thanks for honest input!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Ken in Georgia said:
CDDZ said:
Ken,

I'm working on that right now :cheers:

You da MAN!

jmaryt said:
i'm happy to hear this steve!..exactly the kind of info i am looking for!
i believe this detector has the "potential" to be an excellent coin sniper,however ya HAVE to get down there
to play ball with the e-tracs and others,and to be perfectly frank,i would PREFER to use a 'simple " tool like the g-2 to
find the stuff,as i really don't like "screwing" around with features,and controls,just want to hunt in the junk,AND get results!
if the g-2 can" consistently" get down,say 8 or 8 inches on dimes then,my interest just escalated 100 fold!..just sayin!
thanks for honest input!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

What is the sink rate in your area ? Our soil is about an 1 inch every 5 years. I'm in Georgia, I can hold my own with most detector's, but what's really awsome is that most of the other detector's here, cannot pick up on a coin sideway's. I can and will with this detector, did it right out of the box and nail's for old house sites, this detector is a old house site killer. Some times having the right tools for the job is great. And as you know, we have Georgia red here some place it's down 10 inches but for the most part 5 to 9 inches max.

My G-2 is a great machine and with the 5 inch coil I have dug coins 6 maybe 7 inchs with a strong signal. But I also have a Minelab Safari and one of my sons has a V3i and we have both found targets that the G-2 can not hit on but I did'nt buy the G-2 thinking it would go as deep but very few targets (coins) are over 8 inchs anyway unless I go to old homesites where deeper older targets may be then I use my Minelab. But for general coin hunting in parks the G-2 is excellent. If there is a lot of trash I grab the G-2 with the 5 inch coil and seem to do very well. I don't think anyone will be dissappointed with the G-2s performance regardless what type of hunting you use it for.
:teknetics::minelab: :detecting:

been hunting for over 30 years here in new england,and gotta tell ya MOST of my finds,even going back to the
1700's have been just about 6 or 7 inches down!..have dug deeper,but not that many targets,if i recall!..my soil is mild to medium in mineralization
so the g-2 should really hit hard on coins!..thanks for the input!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

have you used your 11" dd coil with the g-2?..if so,what depths were you seeing with it?
just curious!..thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

ken!..i really do not know the sink rate here!..i do know i have relatively mild soil!
so i am thinking i "possibly" may get a little extra depth on silver,even though the detector uses a
high frequency!..19khz...this is purely speculative on my part,unless,and until i get my hands on a g-2,.,and can find out for myself!
just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I wrote this before, last fall a bud marked a deep coin with his Omega
i checked it with my GB . It was a soft but repeatable and diggable target for both machines
It was a clad dime at the 9 inch mark.