Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gain

TechBill

Administrator
Staff member
Findmall Sponsor
Howdy,

I got question about the gain.

Is it to make the faint deep sound louder? I am deaf but use hearing device, so I would want to set increase the gain to make those deep sound louder correct? With higher gain there shouldn't be any faint signal to miss?

Lastly any con using higher gain other than surface and deep signal may sound the same?

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Bill

Sensitivity amplifies all signals (good AND bad, weak and strong) returning to the coil, gain amplifies the volume of the audio response. More info in the manual Bill.

I LIKE TO RUN THE VOL. GAIN 20-22 NO HIGHER YOU WANT TO HERE THE LOW TONE SIGNAL ON DEEP TARGETS
YOU CAN DOUBLE CHECK BY DROPPING YOUR SENCE TO SEE IF SIGNAL GOES AWAY TO TELL IF IT IS DEEP

TechBill said:
1. Is it to make the faint deep sound louder?
2. I am deaf but use hearing device, so I would want to set increase the gain to make those deep sound louder correct?
3. With higher gain there shouldn't be any faint signal to miss?
4. Lastly any con using higher gain other than surface and deep signal may sound the same?
Bill

Bill,
1. Short answer: Yes.
2. Probably. (Factory default is 24.)
3. If you set the gain all the way to 30, there won't be any audio difference between the detected weak vs. strong signals (volume wise.)

Some folks like to have at least a little indication of a faint 'deep one'.
I typically run with a gain of 27 to keep falsing to a minimum, and to moderately boost the weak audio signals.
However...with your hearing loss, I suspect full on 30 might be the way to go.

4. Yes, background noise (EMF/RFI) and ground noise will also be boosted to full signal levels...thus causing falsing.
If you start with a gain of 30, and find your assisted listening device giving you too many non-repeatable false signals, try turning gain down to a lower number...maybe 26 through 28.

Also, let us know how this works for you. Others with a similar hearing impairment might benefit from your experience.
:)
HH,
mike

What is the hearing device and how does it work?
Would a device that converts the audio to vibrations work for you?