Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Getting The Right Advice..!

Well each to their own.

In my experience, every time I suggested what metal detector to buy to people asking about what to get, they ALWAYS ended up getting something else.
And later they regretted it.
In my opinion, your friend should have gotten either the 600 or 800.
Of course it sounds like he already got something else.

What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.

In case your all still wondering... He just purchased the Garrett AT-Pro GOLD model. The advice that we gave him did not seem to sway him as much as the internet did.
So, he bought an AT Pro or an AT Gold. If he bought the AT Gold, there may be hope for him after all. If he bought the AT Gold with the 8.5x5 coil he will need a bigger coil soon. Nel Superfly is really good.

So, he bought an AT Pro or an AT Gold. If he bought the AT Gold, there may be hope for him after all. If he bought the AT Gold with the 8.5x5 coil he will need a bigger coil soon. Nel Superfly is really good.
He bought the AT Gold. Which proves that the advertising dollars that Garrett is spending is working.

minelab vanquish 440

I have 2 friends that have jumped from the AT to the NOX. They are convinced the switch to Minelab has improved the quality of their finds. Want to break the tie, maybe have him call a few dealers that sell multiple brands and ask them what they hunt with and why? I did it and was surprised how many answered Equinox 800. If you find a dealer that doesn't hunt, move on.

Why not let your friend get what he wants,if it’s a At pro then he should get one.Go to the Garrett section and ask the same question,you’ll get the everyone saying the Garrett is best.Others personal opinions on what works for them don’t work for everyone.

The AT Gold is a perfectly good, uncomplicated detector especially for someone starting out. It was my first detector with a display and more than one tone........It will hit most targets in your moderately mineralized dirt down to about 6" (with the 5x8.5" coil) with pretty good target IDs and excellent tones. As long as he is a fairly strong guy, he will enjoy swinging it. I always have.

Not trying to start a detector war here. I have owned an AT Pro and still own an AT Gold along with a Deus, Equinox (two 800s) a Teknetics G2+ and a Vanquish 440 (which my son in the Navy is borrowing). I also tried out the Simplex (liked it) and many others.
I really like my AT Gold or I wouldn't still have it. I particularly like its threshold based All Metal mode, its disc modes non-ferrous, sparky 2 tone audio, its depth, waterproofing and its sturdiness. I do not like its iron audio or how heavy and clunky it is. Will it detect well........yes. Do I prefer it over the doorbell audio of the AT Pro and the fact that the AT Pro does not have a threshold based all metal mode......definitely. I know plenty of casual hunters to intermediate hunters who do very well with the AT Pro. I know some great detectorists that use the AT Gold and AT Max. Would I buy a new AT Pro bundle for $725........NO. That is more than an Equinox 600. Enough about that. If I just had to have a new Garrett right now I would get the somewhat overpriced multi frequency APEX or just wait until the new AT series multi frequency detectors are released. Would I buy a used AT Pro (maybe), AT Gold or even AT Max for around $500 or less.......definitely

A beginner detector buyer with two friends that use an Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 wants to buy a brand new AT Pro o_O............has he looked at the simultaneous multi frequency Multi IQ (similar to the Equinox) Vanquish 540 Pro Pack with wireless headphones and a good quality Pro Find 15 pinpointer for $499.....????? You guys could help him a lot with his detecting skills since the Nox and Vanquish are siblings and work from the same platform. Although the Vanquish 540 is not quite as fast at target separation as the Equinox, it will go almost as deep and can handle mineralized dirt, (you're in Nevada, right?) wet salt sand and EMI very well. I would also consider the Nokta Makro Simplex+ bundle for less than $500 before I would buy a new AT Pro bundle. Just my very subjective opinions from 20 years of metal detecting and from actually using all the detectors I mentioned in this post.
Very good advice.
The first thing everyone must understand is
Money is an issue!!

A lot of interesting opinions, many of which I agree with. Some, however, I differ with, and that's based on over half-a-century of very avid experience; based on hunting a lot of different types of site challenges; punting in a LOT of detecting time where sometimes I am off on a jaunt for 2-4 days; and I have used, and continue to use, a wide-range of detectors and search coils. The purpose is to learn all,their strengths and weaknesses. I built my first Metal / Mineral Locators in March of '65. I used a couple of other home-built models in coming years. In the summer of '68 I got my first factory-produced detector in-hand, which was a White's Ghost Towner BFO w/6" wooden searcher coils. By early '69 I was also making use of a favorite Garrett model, and since then I have never been without 2 to 4 detectors ... and often several more. Each detector and coil selected because they did what I wanted and needed them to do, and gave me a bit of an 'edge' over the other models.

Now, to get to the most important point not yet mentioned: I have three young gals, 13, 15 and 16, who have done my landscaping all year. Great gals, who all want to get into metal detecting because they have seen some of my finds and heard my storied. But, I know what they want to do, where, and what amount of time they might put in. I also have a friend at the local Post Office who has never
detected, but she had expressed an interest for her and her husband and we have discussed detectors and detecting. However, I know what they might want to do in the way of detecting. A friend of mine, somewhere in his 50's to 60's, as discussed some of the old trade-tokens and older coins I have found, and he lives in the country and know a lot of people who have available land and places he has expressed an interest in hunting. Like the others I know, we have talked detectors, he has scanned the internet (that can often be a bad choice for honest, knowledgable info), and he has brought up really good questions to get workable answers as he is 'shopping' for a first-time detector.

The missing point is that with all of these people, I know they have an interest in getting started in metal detecting AND I also know just how interested they are, the likelihood of the amount of time they will devote o in, AND I know what they want to do! None of us know what level of interest this fellow has, or what type of detecting he plans to get involved in, and that is a very important thing to know in order to help others along the way.

On to detectors:

I've owned the EQ-800 w/6" DD coil. It works, and it can satisfy a lot of people. I have some very good friends who like theirs ... mainly for more urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting. It didn't really do anything for me, in the challenging places I used it, that my Vanquish 540 Pro Pack couldn't do, so I kept the V-540.

The Garrett AT Pro works .... like it did when it came out ... but I prefer the AT MAX over the AT Pro, and for some applications I like the AT Gold better than the AT Pro. But it isn't a really good Relic Hunting model for many of the dense ferrous littered sites I gave it a try at. Nothing like several better models, but again, I am talking Relic Hunting in really tough ferrous junk. I don't know what this newcomer plans to do.

Of the currently;y available and newer detectors, I suggest detectors and coils that include the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack, the Nokta / Makro Simplex +, especially with the 5X9½ DD coil I use most of the time, and the new Garrett Apex. I own 2 of them and will be ordering a 3rd soon so that I can keep all three equipped with a preferred search coils, and that'a something I've done since the early '70s. For me and my needs, I keep their 5X8 'Ripper' mounted on my most-used Apex, the 8½X11 'Raider' attached to my 2nd Apex that I like to grab for plowed fields, wide-open parks, and other more open / less-trash areas. The 3rd Apex will keep the 5" 'Sharp' NEL coil mounted to take on the extremely brushy, rocky, and debris-filled areas due to its smaller-size.

Other than my Apex, V-540 and Simplex + devices, almost all my other quick-grab needs are handled by my two favorite Tesoro models, the Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, ,which each wear a 6" Concentric coil exclusively. Anything left in my 2021 Detector Outfit? Yes, my Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD which is the absolute winner against any other make or models in the ugliest of dense Iron contamination. That's the model I grab when I intentionally set out on some dedicated ghost town jaunts.

Some of my friends have narrowed some detector picks down to models I enjoy using, and some have selected different brands, different models, but have also wisely be selective on search coils ... for the types f detecting they plan to do !!

That is really what needs o happen here. Let the newcomers pick-and-choose, give some suggestions that might be helpful based on where they plan to go, and in the long-run, do all we can to help encourage them to get as involved as they possibly can. Take them out detecting. Share some of or own in-the-field success with them. Don't ignore your current hunting buddy, either, because we never know how long folks will hang around. Keep all the good friends we can muster.

Monte

Nothing wrong with a Quest X10.

I have 2 friends that have jumped from the AT to the NOX. They are convinced the switch to Minelab has improved the quality of their finds. Want to break the tie, maybe have him call a few dealers that sell multiple brands and ask them what they hunt with and why? I did it and was surprised how many answered Equinox 800. If you find a dealer that doesn't hunt, move on.
Lol yep I tried to tell that to a well known guy from the Hoover boys and I saw Brad had one his comment was “they all go beep if your over a target” !
I tend to disagree lol
Mark

I have a friend at the post office that wants to get into metal detecting.

He's 50 years old with ZERO knowledge or experience in this Hobby.

My other detecting buddy at the Post office has the Equinox 800,.... and I run the Equinox 600. Even after his advice, I decided on the 600 model

My friend has push so hard on the Equinox 800 (For a Beginner)

So this "Beginner" he has Semi-decided on the Garret At-Pro. Package deal. For about $725.00 with detector.. Wireless phones. With hand held pinpointer. But no digging tool.

Keep this in mind... He's a total beginner and knows nothing about this hobby. But with the AT Pro he's getting a lot.. For a lot less money, and it's still a proven detector.

Money Is An Issue...!

I'm going to show him this exact post.... and all of your answers. Be fair... Is the Garrett AT Pro a good detector..? I think it is.

What do your guys think..?

I think it a good decision..! Remember.. That money is an issue... and he's starting from Zero experience...!

This will be an interesting post for the answers I will receive to show my friend. I would like to hear Monte also weigh in on this.
After the price increase by minelab im advising all my friends to get the nokta-makro-simplex with the wireless headphones.
I bought one myself and really liked it. I did sell it to a friend though.
The equinox is better at IDing deeper targets and thats the main thing I didn't like. The Simplex would detect the deep targets but wouldn't give a VDI.
The other thing about the Simplex is the charging port. I didn't like having to screw the cable onto the port each time to charge, I could see a possible problem down the road.
But in my opinion the Simplex is the best detector for the money.
But once you have used the 800 its hard to do without the technology.
But I will definitely try to talk anyone else out of buying a minelab product.
They really should be lowering the price considering all the problems with build quality.
I have been lucky myself and haven't had one to flood but I know people that have had 3 or more flood. And I replaced the shafts, armcuffs and applied extra support to the coils as soon as possible.

After the price increase by minelab im advising all my friends to get the nokta-makro-simplex with the wireless headphones.
I bought one myself and really liked it. I did sell it to a friend though.
The equinox is better at IDing deeper targets and thats the main thing I didn't like. The Simplex would detect the deep targets but wouldn't give a VDI.
The other thing about the Simplex is the charging port. I didn't like having to screw the cable onto the port each time to charge, I could see a possible problem down the road.
But in my opinion the Simplex is the best detector for the money.
But once you have used the 800 its hard to do without the technology.
But I will definitely try to talk anyone else out of buying a minelab product.
They really should be lowering the price considering all the problems with build quality.
I have been lucky myself and haven't had one to flood but I know people that have had 3 or more flood. And I replaced the shafts, armcuffs and applied extra support to the coils as soon as possible.
You're a brave man for posting that on the Equinox forum, and who is to say that you are wrong..? Good Luck Detecting.

I just figured it up and I have spent $6600 on minelab detectors and accessories in the past 7 years.
And even though I just resently bought a new equinox 800 I am very disappointed in the build quality of the equinox. Not only for myself but for all those that have had their units flood and all the other problems. Its very common to see YouTube videos with these problems accruing on hunts.
I hope I don't get kicked off but if the problems didn't exist we wouldn't have them to talk about.
I'm done.

6600.00 is a lot of money to spend on machines over that time period. I have spent much less on my Equinox 600 and Explorer SE. Both machines have found many coins for me so I really wonder if you spent the time learning your detectors. I don't mean to be rude.

6600.00 is a lot of money to spend on machines over that time period. I have spent much less on my Equinox 600 and Explorer SE. Both machines have found many coins for me so I really wonder if you spent the time learning your detectors. I don't mean to be rude.
One Excalibur, one CTX, 3 Equinox 800s.
And large and small coils for the ctx and equinox.
Yes I would say I learned them very well. I can say I actually love all 3 machines. ( the technology on all and the build quality of the CTX and Excalibur )
I have sold all except two of the Equinox 800s.
As much as I really enjoyed the Excalibur and CTX I didn't see much of an advantage over the equinox 800.
So I sold those machines and all accessories.