Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Half-dime bonanza

chipper97

Well, bonanza's a slight exaggeration. But after 20 years of detecting I'd never found one. Then this past December I scored my first in a field behind a 1900 era farm house. No doubt something went on in the area before the house was built as there were Civil War era buttons and mini-balls found. Still I was really surprised to see it and in good enough shape to have been dropped very near it's mint date. So yesterday I'm out at a location near where an antebellum home had stood and a few yards from the19th century family cemetery. This spot had produced 3 Large Cents in the past. My second dig of the day turns up my 2nd half-dime in 2 months. This one in great condition as well except for a scratch I put on the reverse. Ugh. This one a beautiful Capped Bust. Haven't found much silver this year but these 2 little discs make up for it.

Wow! Congrats on finally finding not just one but two half dimes. They both look to be in great condition. I am still waiting for my first one so I can imagine how you felt finding yours. You are going to have to go over those two sites with a fine tooth comb. HH

Greg

I’d faint if I found a Capped anything. Great finds,those are NOT easy to come up with!

Thanks guys. As you might imagine they rang up lower than a dime, 39/40 conductive so that doubled the surprise for me. I think they did have a bit of the silver warble but I was definitely not expecting silver.

Still on my bucket list!

Those coins are in truly amazing shape! Can you give more information about finding them such as depth and if they were co-located in trash?

Very, super nice finds!

chipper97 said:
Thanks guys. As you might imagine they rang up lower than a dime, 39/40 conductive so that doubled the surprise for me. I think they did have a bit of the silver warble but I was definitely not expecting silver.

I was detecting an old 1834 farm and got a hit on my Explorer. I thought it might be some junk aluminum but decided to dig anyway.
I was surprised to find my very first half dime. And to think I almost didn't dig it.

Thanks Tony. Yeah I was really lucky in regards to the condition of both of them. What I like about that even more is that I know they were dropped within a few years of their mint year. It puts me back to that early time as if it passed from someone's hand circa 1840 into mine, 2018. As far as the depth around 6" give or take. It was isolated with no co-located trash. I'll definitely be going over that area a few more times. I've picked up 3 large cents from the 1850's in the general area and some nice buttons. The targets are sparse but usually something old and sometimes a real 'treasure'.:)

Congrats on two killer finds !

Thank you E-Trac-Ohio! Went out there yesterday found a few old flat buttons and wheat cents, the oldest a 1909(no VDB). Oh, and a couple of Jefferson nickles, '39 the oldest. I feel pretty certain there are a few more scintillating finds out there. It's a big field.