Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone figured out how to waterproof an E-trac yet?

Steve from Ohio

I had an E-trac and sold it. I miss it. I am going to get another very soon. I do a lot of beach hunting in the winter down in Florida and the waterline is as far as I want to go....wet sand. The problem is that at the water line the waves have a habit of sneaking up on you and the E-trac is not a very good machine when in the water.

Has anyone figured a way to keep it dry when hunting the water line? If not, is anyone interested in a waterproof case that I may have to make if no one else has done so?

I have in the past hit bracelets and rings down to 18 inches in the wet sand. The E-trac is a killer in wet sand. It just cannot take a hit from water. I almost lost my first one to the sea several times. Caught it just in time.

i dont know a way to completely water proof it but this could help if you run the sunray probe...since the coil wire runs along the outside of the shaft. first i removed the lower shaft and used the end for a pattern. i took a 1 inch thick peace of foam rubber and cut it to shape larger than the actual end of the shaft so it will expand inside. i used a little bit of dish soap to lubercate it stuff it in the hole of the upper shaft. then i used the lower shaft to push it slowly into the upper shaft until it reaches the entrance of the probe. if it is cut and installed right, it will stop water from traveling up the shaft and into the control box and batteries. the plug will not interfere with colapsing the the shaft for storage (you might lose an inch). this plug method works very well for me but i was concerned about the control box overheating, being that the shaft is the only way for air to pass thru, so i also drilled 8- 1/8 holes in the bottom of the upper shaft between the switch box of my target probe an the control box. if anyone is interested in doing this and has questions, feel free to ask, its gonna be a long winter.

Steve

Me and a buddy were just talking about this same thing a couple days ago when I mentioned purchasing a water machine, we both own E-Tracs. He talked about taking clear silicone and coating it around the coil connection to the control box and placing Styrofoam in the shaft just in case he lifted up the coil and water ran up the shaft.
I think the clear silicone would work except you would have to peel it off to change a coil. As far as the control box, mmmmmmmmm may be a trick to that.

BCOOP, Missouri

Don't waste your time trying to alter an E-Trac. They are great land machines, but far from ideal for salt beach hunting. If you are planning on hunting the wet salt sands, get a PI.

Yes PI would be the cats butt.

I have used the E-trac on the beach and it works far better than I would have thought. I did hate to get it near the water though. I nearly lost it a few times to the waves and was able to save it just in the nick of time. Found some pretty deep stuff in the wet sand.

The PI's are great on the beach....but I hate digging the smallest pieces of junk all the time. It has been a few years since I used a PI....maybe things have changed with technology though. I'll have to give this some thought.

there are some guys on minelab owners web that made a airtight plastic control box,and from what i have heard they make excellent underwater machines.

There have been several guys who built waterproof boxes for the Explorer. I imagine the process would be the same. It does not look like a quick and easy project, and would require some amount of skill. Not to mention that I think whatever modifications are required would certainly void any Minelab warranty. I agree with others that if you're hunting the surf, you'll be better off with a water machine. I wish they would make the E-Trac waterproof, or at least more water resistant, as I often end up hunting in the rain and worry about it... even though I still do it anyway.

The etrac is a great beach machine right down to the surf, i have the rain cover on and also a small plastic water bottle cut to fit under the cuff that stops any water running down the cable getting into the phone jack. i don't let go of it to dig and never put it down, at worst prop it against my hip if i need 2 hands when using a shovel, close to the water i use a long handled scoop that can be used one handed, no problems so far with rain or spray either and boy does it rain here. I also took the sunray probe off for that reason as i was getting funny things happening to it when hunting in heavy rain.

This was a picture taken in 2006, I was caught on camera by another detectorist.

[attachment 149751 onthebeach.JPG]

But this is my current waterproof explorer,

Saltwater spray/mist gets into everything. I'm sure the E-Trac would be terrific on the wet sand but eventually it would corrode up. If the ocean is calm (no surf), I might give it a try but otherwise my BHID300 gets the nod.

Ron

Wow that's a great looking machine. I would be very much interested if you would care to expand on the particulars of how you did it?
Thanks,
Cal

How about a not so good video......At least you can get a look at design.

This is one of my first tries at this so take it easy on me.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7iE2Kgc-5k[/video]

That's a very interesting case. Did you make it? It looks very sturdy and waterproof. Are the screen buttons still accessible?

Very good video. Your friend should mass produce those cases. Why didn't ML think of that?
Thanks Joe.

Jackalope said:
Saltwater spray/mist gets into everything. I'm sure the E-Trac would be terrific on the wet sand but eventually it would corrode up. If the ocean is calm (no surf), I might give it a try but otherwise my BHID300 gets the nod.

Ron
The etrac is so good on the wet that by the time it corodes your finds will buy another 2.

Real nice case on the explorer Joe. would be handy if your friend could make a few more, bet they would sell like hot cakes

I know I would. I have the Excalibur and never liked it the way I like my Explorers on the beach. Shame Mine Lab makes the Excalibur, because that kind of eliminates the need for a "waterproofed" SE or Etrac. I guess I'll go back to "safe" detecting and wrap her in zip locks and rubber bands.

Joe, how do the buttons work? Is the plastic in front of the screen thinner than the rest and is able to put pressure on the appropriate areas when needing to?

I am playing with an idea on making a waterproof enclosure for the E-trac and am wondering how button functionality is achieved with that awesome set up you have.

I was having wonderful success at the beach except for the worry of getting the E-trac wet. After a few heart stopping waves I gave up on using the E-trac for wet sand work.

I would much rather have a waterproof E-trac than a dedicated water machine like the Excalibur. The Excalibur is nice but it is no E-Trac.