Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help for coil ears

Grunter

My first stock coil broke off clean at the mid point of the bolt hole resulting in me losing half of each ear. Can anyone recommend how to fix new ears onto the coil? My second stock coil broke off better with me being able to epoxy the pieces back on the coil.

Use PC11 for the epoxy to build up the missing part and then get, and use, one of the ear stiffeners that is made for your coil They are available on the auction site.
PC7 is dark gray and the PC11 is marine grade white. The epoxy takes 24Hrs to cure well, it is not instant cure. When cured it can be drilled to ensure
a round bolt hole and filed to get a perfect shape. This is not a difficult task for the average handyman. If both ears are missing an electrical PCV box can be reshaped
and epoxied to the top of the coil and again get and use a stiffener.
The box is a:

Carlon3/4 in. Gray Schedule 40 and 80 PVC Type-LB Conduit Body

If all else fails, buy a new coil and use a stiffener.

I used JB weld plastic epoxy on a broken coil my dads first I epoxied the tab back on then epoxied the coil stiffener on works great! I also did the same to my coil even though it was not broken.
Mark

I must ask a question. Are you banging coils on things? I am a land hunter and graze the grass at most, and in all of my 12 years of metal detecting, I can honestly say, "I have never broken a coil ear."
No not at all. I baby my equipment. The coil ears on the Eqinox coils are apparently weakly constructed and too thin for the coil rod end to make solid contact. If you have one wiggle the coil while attached to the rod and you will feel the obvious gap that is there, even with the coil bolt tighten to almost maximum Tork.

If you put any sideways pressure on the shaft it causes a pulling action on one ear. Do it enough and pow one or both go. Just happened to my CTX. I am trying abs glue with a stiffener suggested but if that doesn’t work I grind them down flat and make a Replacement using a section of 2” ABS pipe from Lowes. JBWeld holds it to the coil and I surround it with Oakley epoxy putty, and paint it with truck liner paint. Mold the U over a piece of wood. Heat the plastic with a torch or try an air fryer. Done this on 3 coils now.

You need to replace the washers on the stem as they wear or you will wear down the plastic on the ears
Mark
I happened to lose one of the washers once and shopped for one or a pair. I ended up buying a bundle of them, 10 or more due to the cost of just two with shipping, and feel great to have had them all. I run both a 600 and an 800 with lower rods for both 11" coils, and the 6" coil I own. One thing I found was the same as you. These teardrop rubber washers wear readily with use, and to make it worse, the washers are narrow narrow to begin with, even brand new. I count the washers as disposable. I've been thru two separate Equinox warranties and still have all of my original coil ears. I swing over open, dry ground and generally avoid collisions with nailed down obstructions.

I suppose there could have been faulty manufacturing lot runs on the lowers and coil ears, and I got lucky. Maybe my 10x5 coil will bump a tough weed next hunt and I will break an ear hitting stuff. Ergonomically, the 10x5 should be more easily torqued due to its thin, 10" length. That coil has been on one of my Notes since day1 though. I guess I am just lucky.

Steve’s aftermarket shafts have a round washer system that’s way better than the stock washers

No not at all. I baby my equipment. The coil ears on the Eqinox coils are apparently weakly constructed and too thin for the coil rod end to make solid contact. If you have one wiggle the coil while attached to the rod and you will feel the obvious gap that is there, even with the coil bolt tighten to almost maximum Tork.
Exactly!!
I broke an ear off a NOX 800 15" coil and off a CTX 3030 17" coil. Runs in the family. Coil stiffeners help in repair but don't answer the question of tightening the bolt tight enough so that the coil stays stable. Also guess what? I broke a coil stiffener as well! No S***!
On the NOX 15", I now used ties to secure the coil to the shaft at the appropriate hunting angle.

I removed the rod end washers on one of the stock coils I broke and could not believe how they had worn down. I now believe those rubber triangular washers are the culprits for the broken ears.. They definitely need to be replaced often or better yet with ones made from a material that won't wear so quickly. When they wear down flush with the rod holes it creates too much wobble room between the coil ears and the rod end.

There is too much space between the coil ears and the rod end that allows too much wobble even when tightened down.
Your washers may be worn they need to be replaced every so often Steve who makes the carbon shafts I believe uses bigger round washers on his ..
Mark

I must ask a question. Are you banging coils on things? I am a land hunter and graze the grass at most, and in all of my 12 years of metal detecting, I can honestly say, "I have never broken a coil ear."
I have all three coils, and I have had them for years now, swinging here in America and in England with the large 15 inch coil caked full of heavy mud. I believe there must have been some change in the material, since if they are as prone to breaking as they seem to be I should have broken one by now in one place or another.

Anyhow, best of luck fixing yours. I know some folks have had some decent luck with repairs..

You need to replace the washers on the stem as they wear or you will wear down the plastic on the ears
Mark
I would like to add wear on center shaft also, too much torque will break the ears. The wobble is at the connection of upper and lower shaft. Washers need replaced more frequently than most people do.

Mark
Mark, agreed, that's what the Minelab rep at last month's FH8 hunt said, I think her name was Christine?

I want to know why Minelab knows it has a defective product with the coil ears on their EQ coils
why are they not making good on this problem?
Why is it left to the Comsumer?