Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I am torn,,,, your thoughts?

GA1dad

I've been thinking I want to by the 6" coil for my 600, but I have hesitations as to whether it will really be worth the investment. To begin with, I haven't been overall impressed with the 600. I have trust issues due to a past hunt that handicapped the machine with EMI. But to be fair, I don't haveany hours using it because of those trust issues..

I have small coils for other machines, and absolutely love the 6" concentric on MXT. But found the 5" DD on the T2 to be "meh, take it or leave it".

For those that have the stock and 6 inch coil on an Equinox, what is your opinion?

I can’t help you where the 600 specifically is concerned, but I like the small coil for the 800, and I would expect the performance of a small coil for the 600 to be at least the same.

But I guess it also matters where a small coil is needed, and how much time you plan to spend detecting sites where a smaller coil is necessary.

I use the small coil in three environments: heavy brush where I can’t get the stock coil to fit, in the water where the bottom has a lot of rocks and boulders, and in heavy iron trash where max target separation is needed, though the Equinox 800 does a great job there where target separation is concerned.

Hope this helps.

Pros
Physically separates better than a large coil
Light weight easy to get into hard places
less EMI noise
able to use more sensitivity

Cons
more falsing
less depth but get some back by running more sensitivity
can't cover large areas

All coils offer some thing others do not .Read my post on MINELAB Manticore Unmasking And Recovery Performance​

But I guess it also matters where a small coil is needed, and how much time you plan to spend detecting sites where a smaller coil is necessary.

I use the small coil in three environments: heavy brush where I can’t get the stock coil to fit, in the water where the bottom has a lot of rocks and boulders, and in heavy iron trash where max target separation is needed, though the Equinox 800 does a great job there where target separation is concerned.

Good reply,,,, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the perspective

Cons
more falsing

Yeah,,, that was my experience with the 5" DD on the T2 as well.

Thanks for the replies folks!

I bought the small coil to use on my 800, but have only used it a few times.
I do like it for certain sites and find it gets pretty good depth.
In addition to what others have stated above, I find it works really well along metal fencing such as in yards, and behind backstops, and sports fields.
I used it in a small yard that I had previously detected at 4 times before with the stock coil and found 24 additional coins which impressed me.
I show up for sale fairly often in the classifieds for much less than a new one, so you may want to go with that option.
Good luck in your decision...

I've been thinking I want to by the 6" coil for my 600, but I have hesitations as to whether it will really be worth the investment. To begin with, I haven't been overall impressed with the 600. I have trust issues due to a past hunt that handicapped the machine with EMI. But to be fair, I don't haveany hours using it because of those trust issues..

I have small coils for other machines, and absolutely love the 6" concentric on MXT. But found the 5" DD on the T2 to be "meh, take it or leave it".

For those that have the stock and 6 inch coil on an Equinox, what is your opinion?
I’ve ran the 6 inch coil on the 600 and 800…My opinion is it don’t offer much on the 600 but on the 800 with the reactivity jacked upto 8 or 9 it does very very well...The 600 does well with the stock coil on unmasking , personally I think it’s a waste of loot to buy the 6 inch coil unless your hunting strips of grass too small for the 11 inch coil..jmo

I use a 6' on my 800, agree with others above on their experiences, part of my arsenal and keep it in my truck when I'm out detecting. Use it as others described. takes some patience, and feel for how it works but yes, I've gotten coins in heavy cover, tight spaces, like against walls and heavy trash areas.

I just don't have the patience for the 6". I start getting sloppy in my coverage which is my fault not the coils but i do wish there was a 9" round coil available.

I have one on my 600. I have used it around trees and found a few coins I wouldn't have gotten with the 11" coil. Most of my hunting is large open areas but some are drying up. Might spend some time with the 6" coil later in the season.

I owned my n600 for a few years and hunted to death a few spots, one of which was a 1700's church that was cleaned out before I got to it accept a small Trac along an iron fence.

After finding a Reale, and few silvers and wheats, I decided to hit it after obtaining a 6" ML coil and found a gold coin and seated dime the 11" coil skated right over.

At another site, a colonial homestead that was never previously detected accept for me with a f70 and n600, after both went quiet having pulled out what I thought was any good targets as well as junk...the 6" has pulled a few shallow clad coins as well as my only Trime, I would surmise as because they were masked and the 6" saw them where as the 11" missed them and the f70 wasn't quick enough with separation as I had the 5", 11x9, and huge NEL Tornado with that machine.

Get the 6" or the 5x10 Coiltek. They both will make old sites new. Just a tip though, increase your speed and expect less depth but not a huge loss, just some.