Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I dont understand the hatred:confused:

Jason in Enid

I want to preface this post by saying this is NOT about the findmall group.

I am on a lot of other Equinox groups both forums and facebook, like I'm sure a lot of others on here are. Shortly after the reveal of the EQ I looked up some groups on facebook for it. I'm always hoping to find some new tidbits of info, maybe new videos, gossip, etc. I found one group was already predominant with over 1000 members (and well more than that now) so it seemed like the best place for like-minded individuals. BOY was I wrong! I have never seen so much hate, dogging, complaining, etc in my life. I swear that half of the posting members are only there to run down a detector nobody has even been able to turn on. Complaints about weight, headphones, charging, battery, battery life, modes.... it CANT work for this, it WONT work for that, listing every failure ever seen in every other model of minelab.... and then DEMANDING these problems be fixed "before its released". Not to mention the repeated posts that anybody actually orders one is a mindless sheep.

I've been around the internet since it was invented, and there have always been your general trolls in any group, but I dont get the shear numbers that the Equinox seem to be attracting. People are like christmas morning children just waiting for failure reports to come rolling in. Good god people, just wait a couple weeks and it will available for purchase. If you don't want it, dont buy it. If youre curious just wait a few months and watch the posts of the people who did buy early. All the petty demands of things to be changed or ELSE they wont buy it.

shaking my damn head in amazement, OK, rant over, lets go back to hypothesizing about performance and technology behind it.

I know what you mean I believe I am member of that group as well. Like you I am shocked at the all the hate and just ridiculousness about a brand new machine. I truly think its jealous and self reassurance for them they cannot even allow themselves to believe this machine my very well be better. Than their Deus, AT Max or fear it may even beat there FBS machine. I agree with your points well said. Cant wait for my per order.

It's been something to watch unfold for sure. Lot's of hot heads, and know it alls spouting off tons of speculation on something that for all intents and purposes doesn't exist yet for the public consumer.

And then there's those asking should I get the Equinox or the (fill in the blank for whatever detector they compare it to). It's akin to asking if one should get a 2019 Shelby GT500 or a 2019 Corvette Z06.... kind of difficult to answer until the damn things hit the street :goodnight:

Cal_Cobra said:
It's akin to asking if one should get a 2019 Shelby GT500 or a 2019 Corvette Z06.... kind of difficult to answer until the damn things hit the street :goodnight:

Oh, well THAT one is easy. The Shelby, hands down. :clapping:

Jason in Enid said:
Cal_Cobra said:
It's akin to asking if one should get a 2019 Shelby GT500 or a 2019 Corvette Z06.... kind of difficult to answer until the damn things hit the street :goodnight:

Oh, well THAT one is easy. The Shelby, hands down. :clapping:

I like the way you think :detecting:

I don't do Facebook so I'll take your word for it just based on the bashing it ( and it's hopeful supporters) gets on the various forums. Weird.

Dean

Some people dont know how to have or present a discussion. Some are trying to bring up points ...good or bad. It can quickly go down hill. I say present your opinion let otheres debunk it.... but be adult about your response. There are a LOT of quality hunters and tech peope that know their stuff. Dont get imbarrased. ... get educated.

dewcon4414 said:
Some people dont know how to have or present a discussion. Some are trying to bring up points ...good or bad. It can quickly go down hill. I say present your opinion let otheres debunk it.... but be adult about your response. There are a LOT of quality hunters and tech peope that know their stuff. Dont get imbarrased. ... get educated.

OK, I just typed out long repsonse, but then deleted it. I'm not trying to rehash the moaning from somewhere else (which is why I left). Yes, a few try to bring up valid points. Most just wanted to create drama.

Jason in Enid said:
dewcon4414 said:

OK, I just typed out long repsonse, but then deleted it. I'm not trying to rehash the moaning from somewhere else (which is why I left). Yes, a few try to bring up valid points. Most just wanted to create drama.

I don't do facebook but the bride does on a limited basis and I occasionally will surf around a bit,,,,one thing is certain,,,,facebook survives on drama and narcissism.
If you are going to wade in the swamp expect to see some mud.

I hate people that hate!!! :)

You see it in just about every walk of life, not just metal detecting. Sports, Fishing, Hunting (especially hunting), clothing, cameras, you name it.

When the internet opened up the discussion forums for metal detecting, at first I was amazed at the...........egos........... in this hobby. And the, " I'm better at it than you, I know more about detecting than you; have a better detector than you do, this brand rules, this brand stinks," etc.

And yes, envy, and anger......

But its like that in other hobbies, other fields, not just detecting.

Jason in Enid said:
I want to preface this post by saying this is NOT about the findmall group.

I am on a lot of other Equinox groups both forums and facebook, like I'm sure a lot of others on here are. Shortly after the reveal of the EQ I looked up some groups on facebook for it. I'm always hoping to find some new tidbits of info, maybe new videos, gossip, etc. I found one group was already predominant with over 1000 members (and well more than that now) so it seemed like the best place for like-minded individuals. BOY was I wrong! I have never seen so much hate, dogging, complaining, etc in my life. I swear that half of the posting members are only there to run down a detector nobody has even been able to turn on. Complaints about weight, headphones, charging, battery, battery life, modes.... it CANT work for this, it WONT work for that, listing every failure ever seen in every other model of minelab.... and then DEMANDING these problems be fixed "before its released". Not to mention the repeated posts that anybody actually orders one is a mindless sheep.

I've been around the internet since it was invented, and there have always been your general trolls in any group, but I dont get the shear numbers that the Equinox seem to be attracting. People are like christmas morning children just waiting for failure reports to come rolling in. Good god people, just wait a couple weeks and it will available for purchase. If you don't want it, dont buy it. If youre curious just wait a few months and watch the posts of the people who did buy early. All the petty demands of things to be changed or ELSE they wont buy it.

shaking my damn head in amazement, OK, rant over, lets go back to hypothesizing about performance and technology behind it.

I'm probably gonna get a beating for saying this, but, it seems the Facebook guys on the other side of the pond are getting the most worked up about a machine that no one really knows anything about. That's just my opinion, but, that's what I see. :argue:

Jason....... i think we are on the same page here. Some people like to talk..... but not everyone knows what they are talking about buddy. As far as face book goes........EVERYTHING seems to be fake news designed to adjatate. I seriously dont know where some of those people come from. When it comes to detecting...... pick thru the info thats there, ask questions, and ignore many of the responses.

Dew

There are a lot of things that people like to bitchh about,it seems to give many comfort in some way. The "If I can point out others' perceived shortcomings,then maybe my own won't be so noticeable..." mentality... That's what I would expect in a 7th grade hallway. It carries a long way though,WAY into adulthood for many. The one thing I've seen break this habit for people is some big life changing event, i.e. a near death experience(horrible accident,health issues) or the actual death of someone close. It brings back into focus for those people what is actually important in life. Petty and meaningless(because no data really exists from real world users for any amount of time) conjecture about the Equinox is just that. While I am skeptical that this new machine will find what I exclusively hunt(deep silver) better than the CTX,I have to remind myself that several Explorer and etrac users once thought the same thing. I am counting on Minelab to deliver a nice all around machine that appeals to many customers because of the wide spread of environments in which it can hunt ,the light weight, and the rest that makes it uniquely what it is. It WILL do very well,not because of these attributes alone,but because of the reputation the company has for producing very highly intelligent machines. They have brought a lot of good things to the detecting table in the past,and this new machine won't be any different in that regard.
Will I buy one? Sadly,I'll be warming the bench,waiting to get into the game only after our team has a significant lead...if it revives everyone's old dead sites,I'm in. If not,I don't have a need for it. Im hoping the reports come fast and furious,and this is yet another great machine in the Minelab lineup,even if I personally don't need it right now.

Simple. Human nature. Folks don't want to see a new $800 machine out do their $2500 machine, or even the $1200 machine that they already have. Confirmation bias, human psychology, tribalism, call it what you will. Just head on over to the Deus or CTX forums if you want your fill of Equinox hatred. Whew, the hatred runs deep especially with the CTX guys ...

It's just hard for some folks to admit that the $1,500 they just spent on last year's model might have been better spent on a new and better $800 detector and $700 worth of steak dinners. ;)

Wayfarer said:
Simple. Human nature. Folks don't want to see a new $800 machine out do their $2500 machine, or even the $1200 machine that they already have. Confirmation bias, human psychology, tribalism, call it what you will. Just head on over to the Deus or CTX forums if you want your fill of Equinox hatred. Whew, the hatred runs deep especially with the CTX guys ...

It's just hard for some folks to admit that the $1,500 they just spent on last year's model might have been better spent on a new and better $800 detector and $700 worth of steak dinners. ;)

Mmmmmmm.......steak.......dammit now I'm hungry!!:drool:

Wayfarer said:

I agree re human nature and the jealousy. But let me say that I sincerely hope that the $800 machine is better than my CTX. I love it when tech advances. I've never owned something that I thought was the End All of Everything.

If the Eq lives up to its hype, count me as a happy buyer!

Then I will buy one.

Until then I'll read about the new technology, perhaps try find some background patent info, and refrain from comment.

I would love to see my old sites come alive again; but I've bought a couple of detectors with this hope and am still swinging my original XS.

Chris

Champ Ferguson said:
Wayfarer said:

I agree re human nature and the jealousy. But let me say that I sincerely hope that the $800 machine is better than my CTX. I love it when tech advances. I've never owned something that I thought was the End All of Everything.

If the Eq lives up to its hype, count me as a happy buyer!

Me too. Been there done that with buying technology only to have it superseded by a newer and cheaper model. That's just the way it goes - time marches on. Happens all the time in all kinds of technology. I'm with you that I'd rather see a leap in detector technology than cling to yesteryear's flagship models. If you drop $2K+ on a flagship detector, you can't expect it to stay on top forever. 5 years for the CTX was a good run. If they can pull off a better detector for less $, it'd be great for all of us.

Chris,

I got 2 of the new Minelab on order, 1 from a dealer and one from a guy up here in ND that wants to become a dealer (I am not a dealer anymore for MInelab)and needs to get 6 Minelab in for his first order.
Now when you make your yearly run up to MN maybe we can meet or something so you can try a new Equinox 800 out and just see what you think.
This new Equinox sound good from what we are reading and I know you and James like the XS, as much as I like my Sovereign GT, but just got to try something lighter weight so I had to get one to see if it can work for me and my hunting.

Rick