Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I dont understand the hatred:confused:

I didn't make it up to MN this year, hopefully next. We still have some detectable days left this year down in Southern WI. I missed out on some good construction sites down here and read of some up north there, not sure if the James gang was able to hit any of them. I wish he would start posting again.

Chris

I am unsure about IQ as I haven't used one so most of my posts reflect that I don't pretend to know things I don't so its just shooting the sh$t till I get to have a swing, but I know one thing for sure :clapping:

FFB

AJ

Wayfarer said:
Champ Ferguson said:
Wayfarer said:
Simple. Human nature. Folks don't want to see a new $800 machine out do their $2500 machine, or even the $1200 machine that they already have. Confirmation bias, human psychology, tribalism, call it what you will. Just head on over to the Deus or CTX forums if you want your fill of Equinox hatred. Whew, the hatred runs deep especially with the CTX guys ...

It's just hard for some folks to admit that the $1,500 they just spent on last year's model might have been better spent on a new and better $800 detector and $700 worth of steak dinners. ;)

I agree re human nature and the jealousy. But let me say that I sincerely hope that the $800 machine is better than my CTX. I love it when tech advances. I've never owned something that I thought was the End All of Everything.

If the Eq lives up to its hype, count me as a happy buyer!

Me too. Been there done that with buying technology only to have it superseded by a newer and cheaper model. That's just the way it goes - time marches on. Happens all the time in all kinds of technology. I'm with you that I'd rather see a leap in detector technology than cling to yesteryear's flagship models. If you drop $2K+ on a flagship detector, you can't expect it to stay on top forever. 5 years for the CTX was a good run. If they can pull off a better detector for less $, it'd be great for all of us.

Well said, Guys.
Used to be a guy would have to spend some big bucks to build a rifle that would shoot a half inch group at 100 yards. Now, most major rifle manufacturers produce a over the counter rifle gauranteed to shoot half inch groups for under a grand. Technology marches on and becomes less expensive. Good for us.

Dean

IDXMonster said:
There are a lot of things that people like to bitchh about,it seems to give many comfort in some way. The "If I can point out others' perceived shortcomings,then maybe my own won't be so noticeable..." mentality... That's what I would expect in a 7th grade hallway. It carries a long way though,WAY into adulthood for many. The one thing I've seen break this habit for people is some big life changing event, i.e. a near death experience(horrible accident,health issues) or the actual death of someone close. It brings back into focus for those people what is actually important in life. Petty and meaningless(because no data really exists from real world users for any amount of time) conjecture about the Equinox is just that. While I am skeptical that this new machine will find what I exclusively hunt(deep silver) better than the CTX,I have to remind myself that several Explorer and etrac users once thought the same thing. I am counting on Minelab to deliver a nice all around machine that appeals to many customers because of the wide spread of environments in which it can hunt ,the light weight, and the rest that makes it uniquely what it is. It WILL do very well,not because of these attributes alone,but because of the reputation the company has for producing very highly intelligent machines. They have brought a lot of good things to the detecting table in the past,and this new machine won't be any different in that regard.
Will I buy one? Sadly,I'll be warming the bench,waiting to get into the game only after our team has a significant lead...if it revives everyone's old dead sites,I'm in. If not,I don't have a need for it. Im hoping the reports come fast and furious,and this is yet another great machine in the Minelab lineup,even if I personally don't need it right now.

One of the best posts on the internet. :)

Champ Ferguson said:
Wayfarer said:
Simple. Human nature. Folks don't want to see a new $800 machine out do their $2500 machine, or even the $1200 machine that they already have. Confirmation bias, human psychology, tribalism, call it what you will. Just head on over to the Deus or CTX forums if you want your fill of Equinox hatred. Whew, the hatred runs deep especially with the CTX guys ...

It's just hard for some folks to admit that the $1,500 they just spent on last year's model might have been better spent on a new and better $800 detector and $700 worth of steak dinners. ;)

I agree re human nature and the jealousy. But let me say that I sincerely hope that the $800 machine is better than my CTX. I love it when tech advances. I've never owned something that I thought was the End All of Everything.

If the Eq lives up to its hype, count me as a happy buyer!

Yep, if the EQ were equal to the CTX in performance, I would be ecstatic to drop half the weight and have a smaller, easier to pack detector. Honestly, I'm not looking for the EQ to beat or even replace my CTX. I'm excited for the ability to jump from multi to single freq, at my choice of freq and with adjustable recovery speed. The soil in my area is pretty mild, but some places are loaded with iron. So to able to have a DEUS-like trash hunter and then with a push of a button, an FBS-like coin hunter for the clean areas is a dream come true.

I know a lot of people have scoffed at the "makes all VLF obsolete" claim, but I think it does. It's not "obsolete" as in doubles the depth compared to all others, or "obsolete" as in finds silver dimes under a steel drum lid. I think it makes them obsolete because I can choose the freq I want without changes coils, I can chose the reactivity speed, I can switch from single to multi, I can hunt parks and then walk right down into the ocean surf and keep hunting. There is no other detector than can do all those things. So I think that bit of "hype" really does pan out.

As for the human nature aspect, I think you hit it. I think of people are scared that the $2500 stick they bought is now going to be up-ended by an $800 rival. Too many people look at detecting like it s a job and they have to get XXX performance increase for every dollar spent. I look at it as a fun hobby. I'll buy what I can afford if it works better or makes swinging easier. Even with a $2500 detector, this is the cheapest hobby I have seen. Hell, look what guys spend on hunting, fishing, golf, and don't even think about building a 4x4 (or any car hobby really) without a lot of time or lot of cash.

I hope it is all they say it is. It will be very exciting to have a new high performance detector for 800.00 bucks. The multiple freq at same time has got me chewing at the bit to get one. That comes from a guy who uses a deus ,, hate on that lol

You forgot that we spent many hours and money developing a load that would shoot an inch group with that rifle. I have almost quit reloading as I can get out of the box rifles and ammo that do the job that I once spent hours obtaining.

I worked retail for many years and some folks just like to boast Mine is bigger, Better, Bader Etc than yours. Now with what may be an excellent new machine coming on the market the are worried sick that it may just be Lighter Faster and easier to use than theirs.

I am a bit on the conservative side (loll) and tend to wait until an item has proven itself before I put my money on the table. I will do the same with the EQ. I have seen too many products hit the market with great hype and then not even come close to performing as promised.

I certainly hope the EQ lives up to the promises as at nearly 77 years of age my sovereign GT is getting a bit heavy. My Xcal not so bad with the straight shaft.

GeorgeinSC said:
I worked retail for many years and some folks just like to boast Mine is bigger, Better, Bader Etc than yours. Now with what may be an excellent new machine coming on the market the are worried sick that it may just be Lighter Faster and easier to use than theirs.

I am a bit on the conservative side (loll) and tend to wait until an item has proven itself before I put my money on the table. I will do the same with the EQ. I have seen too many products hit the market with great hype and then not even come close to performing as promised.

I certainly hope the EQ lives up to the promises as at nearly 77 years of age my sovereign GT is getting a bit heavy. My Xcal not so bad with the straight shaft.

Nothing wrong with waiting to see. By spring we should have a very solid idea of its abilities.

GeorgeinSC said:
You forgot that we spent many hours and money developing a load that would shoot an inch group with that rifle. I have almost quit reloading as I can get out of the box rifles and ammo that do the job that I once spent hours obtaining.

Yes Sir. I still roll my own but see an end coming to that as well for the reason you stated. I just bought a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor but no dies. Gonna go factory ammo. New tech less fuss.

Dean

I will be using my in the cold hard ground. LOL :)

IDXMonster said:
Will I buy one? Sadly,I'll be warming the bench,waiting to get into the game only after our team has a significant lead...if it revives everyone's old dead sites,I'm in. If not,I don't have a need for it. Im hoping the reports come fast and furious,and this is yet another great machine in the Minelab lineup,even if I personally don't need it right now.

IDXMonster,

What if all of us decide not to tell? No field reports. Just a hush. . . . . . .

Nevermind, that'll never happen, some people just can't keep a secret.

Rich

Rich (Utah) said:
IDXMonster said:

IDXMonster,

What if all of us decide not to tell? No field reports. Just a hush. . . . . . .

Rich

Hahaha, when the CTX released and everyone was reporting how much they liked it, I kept telling them (jokingly) to shut up or else everyone would be buying one I like not having competition. :)

WHAT IF--------------------------------------this was just a college proff who worked up an imaginary product for his marketing class to to guage potential buyers reaction to certain features,benefits,etc.???? Pitch fork sales would go through the roof!!!!!!!!!!

Rich (Utah) said:
IDXMonster said:

IDXMonster,

Rich

Rich,you KNOW Im counting on peoples’ inate Inability to keep their mouth shut...

Jason in Enid said:
I want to preface this post by saying this is NOT about the findmall group.

I am on a lot of other Equinox groups both forums and facebook, like I'm sure a lot of others on here are. Shortly after the reveal of the EQ I looked up some groups on facebook for it. I'm always hoping to find some new tidbits of info, maybe new videos, gossip, etc. I found one group was already predominant with over 1000 members (and well more than that now) so it seemed like the best place for like-minded individuals. BOY was I wrong! I have never seen so much hate, dogging, complaining, etc in my life. I swear that half of the posting members are only there to run down a detector nobody has even been able to turn on. Complaints about weight, headphones, charging, battery, battery life, modes.... it CANT work for this, it WONT work for that, listing every failure ever seen in every other model of minelab.... and then DEMANDING these problems be fixed "before its released". Not to mention the repeated posts that anybody actually orders one is a mindless sheep.

I've been around the internet since it was invented, and there have always been your general trolls in any group, but I dont get the shear numbers that the Equinox seem to be attracting. People are like christmas morning children just waiting for failure reports to come rolling in. Good god people, just wait a couple weeks and it will available for purchase. If you don't want it, dont buy it. If youre curious just wait a few months and watch the posts of the people who did buy early. All the petty demands of things to be changed or ELSE they wont buy it.

shaking my damn head in amazement, OK, rant over, lets go back to hypothesizing about performance and technology behind it.
I am opposite of you, look why:
1. i don't understand how one could be excited 'cosmically' about a non-finished-yet product, a kind of prototype... (started with pre-orders ?!!! pre-orders of what?!!!)
2. or about embarrassing, non professional 'tests' seen via the internet... This product shown nothing.
3. or about opening here more than 30 threads about a 'maybe' future product... knowing nothing real about it... just some 'guerrilla marketing wishes' from the producer.

What if this product will be a facelift of Go-Find, or a totally failure?!
Do you realize that this product will be tested seriously all over the world and in maximum a day or seven, all will know if it's good or BS.

PS I'm not a hater of any product/producer bla bla, I have one product from this producer.

Folks can hide behind their computer screens and spew all the hatred they want.
Life is too short to listen to those types. Detecting is for enjoyment, not hatred. I choose not to listen to those types who spew crap.

There are those who always look at things with a negative prospective and try to project their negative views on others. I too just ignore them.

Victor73 said:
What if this product will be a facelift of Go-Find, or a totally failure?!
Do you realize that this product will be tested seriously all over the world and in maximum a day or seven, all will know if it's good or BS.

What IF the EQUINOX is a Total Failure?

Good question Victor. IF the equinox is a TOTAL FAILURE, there will be a sizable number of detectorists from Sydney to Moscow that will be VERY UNHAPPY. There would likely be some backlash as well and a fallout with the company by many. I am guessing that you WON'T be among them as your post suggests you are a person that wants to have evidence in hand BEFORE you commit. Very wise.

Then it is to your BENEFIT to have many from the detecting community be the guinea pigs for this new detector to assure that the Equinox is tested thoroughly both in the lab and the field.

I believe the REASON many detectorists have queued up to purchase an equinox 600 or 800 (and be your guinea pig) is due to a TRUST in the reputation of Minelab Products.

Others may be following the crowd and the hype and 'jumping on the bandwagon' so to speak.

Regardless, from your standpoint, the more people testing and using this unproven detector, the better. For you, and others waiting for measurable results, each person out there swinging an equinox and reporting their findings is a point of data that can be measured in some fashion, and added to the rest to come up with an overall measure of this new detector.

You then, can place the results up next to your criteria of what you want in a detector and say YES or NO.

Best of luck to everyone on their adventures.

Rich (Utah)