Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I noticed something about the EQ coils....

IDXMonster

The new 11” is flat across at the nose and heel,and webbing is different. Same with 15”. The 6” coil looks EXACTLY like the 6” CTX Coil...
Does it mean anything? I don’t know,it’s just something I noticed.

hard to guess. I would have thought it was to simplify manufacturing by making the design less complicated. But then why not use the same molds as used with the CTX? Something must be different internally to justify a completely new form mold. Something else to ponder.

"Whatever the coil's construction, the 11" is too big and the 6" too small!

What's NEEDED is, a third option, a 8.2" x 5.5" elliptical DD....

It'd be a killer coil?????"

Yes Des...As I recall there have been more than a few people asking for a factory 8” coil of some kind for the CTX...we seemed to get everything BUT!

I doubt Minelab or Coiltek is listening. They didn't listen with the CTX. The Coiltek coil for the CTX was not the size most people wanted. It was fairly heavy and it floated in the water. Didn't seem to be very popular.

RichW said:
I doubt Minelab or Coiltek is listening. They didn't listen with the CTX. The Coiltek coil for the CTX was not the size most people wanted. It was fairly heavy and it floated in the water. Didn't seem to be very popular.

Maybe if we land hunters asked for a really weird shaped,heavy and huge turd of a coil we’d get a nice light inexpensive 8” round coil!:lol: You know...reverse psychology!
In all reality I’m OK with the 3 Minelab offerings...it could be worse...they could be SQUARE!:lol:

"One example showing the need for a 'smaller than an 11" coil', is I had worked a grassy area to death in a years long battle to find a blue stone signet ring allegedly lost while the guy was dumping grass cuttings into a neighboring yard?
There's a kind of 'no man's land' where the hedge line meets the search area. It's the area right underneath the hedge which is feet thick. Well right along that line is extremely hard to search as there's chicken wire in some of it and when you poke your search coil in you get a signal 'above' the coil!!! And there's dozens of debris strewn around in what's essentially a two foot line between the two properties.
If I went there now I'll still get signals... it's that trashy!

Anyhooooo... the CTX with 11" on 'kinda' gave a squeaky signal on a spot but failed to lock on and/or produce TID's
It was the proverbial 'iffy signal', but with a difference: it was just 'a half iffy signal!'

Couple weeks later I hit the area again this time with the 6" coil.
It produced a 'low hoot' and crash bang zip etc!
Digging the hole first gave up a piece of coke: pinpointer said there's more? Then up came a thin bronze ring about the diameter of a quarter (we find loads of them) pin pointer still said there was more?
Finally, after finding a large rusted nail at the 6" mark the hole was clean!
3 in 1

The 11" failed: the 6" won out.

I'm wondering if this scenario might be repeated with the 11" Equinox coil???
Will stuff still get missed???

I might canvass Minelab on the possibility of doing an 8x5"

Hopefully it will be as light as possible. With no visible counter balancing weight the Eq is sure to be a little nose heavy. The Deus is with the 11" x 13" coil they offer.

Des D said:
"One example showing the need for a 'smaller than an 11" coil', is I had worked a grassy area to death in a years long battle to find a blue stone signet ring allegedly lost while the guy was dumping grass cuttings into a neighboring yard?
There's a kind of 'no man's land' where the hedge line meets the search area. It's the area right underneath the hedge which is feet thick. Well right along that line is extremely hard to search as there's chicken wire in some of it and when you poke your search coil in you get a signal 'above' the coil!!! And there's dozens of debris strewn around in what's essentially a two foot line between the two properties.
If I went there now I'll still get signals... it's that trashy!

Anyhooooo... the CTX with 11" on 'kinda' gave a squeaky signal on a spot but failed to lock on and/or produce TID's
It was the proverbial 'iffy signal', but with a difference: it was just 'a half iffy signal!'

Couple weeks later I hit the area again this time with the 6" coil.
It produced a 'low hoot' and crash bang zip etc!
Digging the hole first gave up a piece of coke: pinpointer said there's more? Then up came a thin bronze ring about the diameter of a quarter (we find loads of them) pin pointer still said there was more?
Finally, after finding a large rusted nail at the 6" mark the hole was clean!
3 in 1

The 11" failed: the 6" won out.

I'm wondering if this scenario might be repeated with the 11" Equinox coil???
Will stuff still get missed???

I might canvass Minelab on the possibility of doing an 8x5"

Great example Des,and another “right tool for the job” story. The more tools we have,the more complete the job can be....when used correctly! Nice recovery:)

IDXMonster said:
The new 11” is flat across at the nose and heel,and webbing is different. Same with 15”. The 6” coil looks EXACTLY like the 6” CTX Coil...

Hopefully the design reduces resistance when swinging in the water.

Since the Equinox is so fast, I believe Minelab purposely made these coils more aero-dynamic:biggrin:

Architex: I too worry about the balance of the Equinox. It has no choice but to be nose heavy and that might be an issue unless waist deep in the water. No matter what coil or what weight it will be nose heavy.

sgoss66 said:
With "slots" cut into the "stand" of the Equinox, it would appear that addition of either a backup rechargeable pack, OR counterweights, under the arm rest, will be rather easy to do, if necessary.

Steve

Good eye Steve,I hadn’t noticed those really. It looks like maybe they could be used when hanging on display too,whether or not that was the intent....but counter weighting shouldn’t be an issue.

IDXMonster said:

The flat across the bottom or 'heel' might just be to help keep the machine upright when laid down on a flat(ish) surface.

Muckchucker said:
IDXMonster said:

The flat across the bottom or 'heel' might just be to help keep the machine upright when laid down on a flat(ish) surface.

That’s a very valid point Muck. I hadn’t thought of that at all. Some guys have their coils tight so they don’t “flop”,this would help to keep it from falling over....excellent point!

I like the clamp style of shaft on the CTX coils and would love to see a 'cable enclosed Anderson shaft' with maybe a slight offset of the upper area to possibly get a better balance, if there is a 'nose heavy' feel to it. The enclosed coil and clamp style really makes a coil change quick for me.

jas415 said:
....... and would love to see a 'cable enclosed Anderson shaft' with maybe a slight offset of the upper area to possibly get a better balance, if there is a 'nose heavy' feel to it. The enclosed coil and clamp style really makes a coil change quick for me.

How would that work? The head unit has an external coil connection. If you made a coil shaft with an internal cable run, it would have to come out in front of the control for the connection. That means you would have to fish the cable out a 90 degree exit. It was pain enough on the old e-trac and explorers to get it out of a straight tube.