Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I noticed something about the EQ coils....

IDXMonster said:
Muckchucker said:
IDXMonster said:
The new 11” is flat across at the nose and heel,and webbing is different. Same with 15”. The 6” coil looks EXACTLY like the 6” CTX Coil...
Does it mean anything? I don’t know,it’s just something I noticed.

The flat across the bottom or 'heel' might just be to help keep the machine upright when laid down on a flat(ish) surface.

That’s a very valid point Muck. I hadn’t thought of that at all. Some guys have their coils tight so they don’t “flop”,this would help to keep it from falling over....excellent point!
On the Safari stick coil its like a half round indentation. The center of the "circle" is the pin point sweet spot. Rear the same, a second sweet spot
but if you use that you dont have a good view & its awkward.

73 Tom
LFOD !

TomNH said:
IDXMonster said:
Muckchucker said:
IDXMonster said:
The new 11” is flat across at the nose and heel,and webbing is different. Same with 15”. The 6” coil looks EXACTLY like the 6” CTX Coil...
Does it mean anything? I don’t know,it’s just something I noticed.

The flat across the bottom or 'heel' might just be to help keep the machine upright when laid down on a flat(ish) surface.

That’s a very valid point Muck. I hadn’t thought of that at all. Some guys have their coils tight so they don’t “flop”,this would help to keep it from falling over....excellent point!
On the Safari stick coil its like a half round indentation. The center of the "circle" is the pin point sweet spot. Rear the same, a second sweet spot
but if you use that you dont have a good view & its awkward.

73 Tom
LFOD !

Tom,are you saying you don’t Pinpoint with the center of the overall coil? If you are using the “wiggle back” or “wiggle forward” method of pinpointing,then yes,the target is just off either end when it disappears. But I don’t think it’s the “sweet spot” when you’re gauging depth. The Pinpoint audio will confirm this...
Any way you do it,if it works for you,then it’s all good!

IDXMonster said:
Tom,are you saying you don’t Pinpoint with the center of the overall coil? If you are using the “wiggle back” or “wiggle forward” method of pinpointing,then yes,the target is just off either end when it disappears. But I don’t think it’s the “sweet spot” when you’re gauging depth. The Pinpoint audio will confirm this...

Yes, that is what happens. I typically use the coil center for pinpoint and accurate depth. If its a solo target (and not shallow), the center is fine. If you have co-located targets it be very difficult to isolate one, especially since it seems to always be a big chunk of iron next to something small like a coin. On those I use the "wiggle back" method to isolate the one I want. Also, pinpointing sucks on very shallow items but using the front or back notch is your best method there.

Jason in Enid said:
IDXMonster said:

Yes, that is what happens. I typically use the coil center for pinpoint and accurate depth. If its a solo target (and not shallow), the center is fine. If you have co-located targets it be very difficult to isolate one, especially since it seems to always be a big chunk of iron next to something small like a coin. On those I use the "wiggle back" method to isolate the one I want. Also, pinpointing sucks on very shallow items but using the front or back notch is your best method there.

“Exactly” on all of it.:thumbup:

Lighten up Jason, Its a new year. Read what I wrote. If Anderson builds a new shaft with the slight dip, offset, then it is pretty easy to put a connection close to the head unit and have the coil cable come out nefre the shaft connection. No fishing anything! . The shaft and coil would be attached as it always is and the cable up thru the shaft, coming out about 10" below the grip! The shaft would be attached below the hand grip. The benefit for me, it would be easier to swap shafts. And no cables to get tangled in brush, etc..

jas415 said:
Lighten up Jason, Its a new year. Read what I wrote. ......

lighten up? Where did I attack you? I only asked a question and posed the problem I see. It is a new year, have a beer. GL&HH

Yes I usually use wiggle back but I find questionable targets easier in actual "pinpoint". PP seems
to have the same sweet spot where the audio suddenly drops. Also its easier in PP to search around a
small area looking for peaks just off the target. Works for me anyhows.......
Bottom line for me is in clean area wiggle is faster & accurate. PP can help in junk.

73 Tom
LFOD!

TomNH said:
Yes I usually use wiggle back but I find questionable targets easier in actual "pinpoint". PP seems
to have the same sweet spot where the audio suddenly drops. Also its easier in PP to search around a
small area looking for peaks just off the target. Works for me anyhows.......
Bottom line for me is in clean area wiggle is faster & accurate. PP can help in junk.

73 Tom
LFOD!

I gotcha Tom,I half-misunderstood what you were saying before...;)

Des D said:
"Whatever the coil's construction, the 11" is too big and the 6" too small!

What's NEEDED is, a third option, a 8.2" x 5.5" elliptical DD....

It'd be a killer coil?????"

I have always classed the 11 inch coil the best all rounder for all machines , but the 6 inch coil is too small i think , maybe 8 inch .

As for the original heading of the topic and i have not got past Des's post so dont know if it has been mentioned . It could be a simple thing . The flat bit at the bottom of the coil could be to act as a stand at the front ?

Nuke em said:
Des D said:
"Whatever the coil's construction, the 11" is too big and the 6" too small!

What's NEEDED is, a third option, a 8.2" x 5.5" elliptical DD....

It'd be a killer coil?????"

I have always classed the 11 inch coil the best all rounder for all machines , but the 6 inch coil is too small i think , maybe 8 inch .

As for the original heading of the topic and i have not got past Des's post so dont know if it has been mentioned . It could be a simple thing . The flat bit at the bottom of the coil could be to act as a stand at the front ?

Nuke em,yes...someone had mentioned the flat part being a front stand and it would make sense you’re correct about that...I can’t wait for people everywhere inland and at the beach to start receiving them and giving feedback!

Difference is the stem is in the center of the coil on the EQ and on Deus is toward the back of the coil putting the weight even farther forward. Most coils take are made for the water are slightly negative so it will not float. Even on a straight rod those are a bit nose heavy even with stem in middle. So if its made light to complement the over weight of the machine it may well be a floater in the water and hard to keep down in the waves. Even if they come out now I am so far down the line I suspect it will be spring for me. Ordered the 6" to go with the 800. Just noticed today there will be a very large coil but I bet that will give you tennis elbow