Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Identify this Buffalo

tnvarmint

Went today during lunch with Dr Bill and found this Buffalo coin along with a 1930s Girl Scout sterling ring. Anyone know anything about this coin? It is not the US Mint $1 Commemorative coin like I initially thought when I dug it. It is the same size as a silver dollar and about the same weight. Non-magnetic and came in as a 04-47. I also attached 2 pictures of the actual commemorative coin to compare. All in all it was a great hunt and to walk away with this coin/token and a silver ring is awesome.

wondeful find you have there it is
an buffalo proof silver a commemorative coin and should have been issued with a certificate but i dont suppose you dug that up too lol pity great one for the collection

It is a copy of the original 1 dollar buffalo coin. Doubt it is platinum. Some copies were made from silver and say .999 under the buffalo where on the original says one dollar. If it was platinum it would says so there also. I suspect it is made from zinc and tin or other metal. A good conversation piece though.

sorry about that is yours the coin in the smaller picture then with the word copy on it???????? ONE JUST SOLD ON EBAY FOR 1.30 dollars oh very dissappointed thought it was the real thing

It is a 1 ounce silver round put out by the mint. By law the mint has to offer them to the public. I have one like it in a plastic holder. I got mine at a local coin dealer when silver was about $21.00 an ounce. I should have bought more.

You should be able to find them at your local coin shop as well for the current spot price of silver plus premium of course. Or just ask for info about them.

weight it if you can...by specific gravity...... if it weights an oz.. it is an oz... probably as pgoupell stated.. if it weighs less.. probably as treasure sstate stated if..... quite a bit heavier would be platinum

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Buffalo-INDIAN-HEAD-Silver-Clad-DMPL-Coin-Token-/290563971408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a6f65950

Not old - but it's still a really cool find !