Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

If any of the testers of the equinox read this forum, why don't you conduct a conclusive test of the machine?

Greg (E.Tn)

Instead of resorting to sleight of hand tests and surface target tests, show us how deep the detector will detect a coin or non-ferrous object, and the solidity of the VDI.

Please.

You are starting to sound like more than a skeptic. Almost like you have an ax to grind. Relax and be patient, and if you don't like the Nox, go somewhere else.

I doubt any of them have a final version of the Nox yet.
When testers of the Racers and Impact had prototypes they didn't post reviews until they had tested the final production models.
There are several preliminary tests of the new Ford Bronco and Ranger vehicles out but none are in production yet,,,same idea.

I own a Minelab Excal., Fisher CZ 6A, Deeptech Gold, and a Fisher CZ 21. I have been using detectors since 1974.

I have also owned an Explorer and Sovereign.......

I don't own a XP Deus. :|

How can you label me a skeptic when I ask fair questions about a machine that hasn't been introduced yet?

Others on this forum have voiced my concerns, and voiced the same questions.

So far, we have seen a very dubious iron test, and a "depth" test where a coin was placed in an open hole.

All I am asking is for someone to conduct an "in ground" test of non-ferrous targets placed in close proximity to ferrous targets, at depth, and post the results, with no sleight of hand.

I am considering the purchase of a Equinox 800--as a matter of fact, I am on the waiting list for one.

If that marks me as a "skeptic" then so be it.

I'm not going anywhere. :drinking:

that being said, I know that the machines are out there in the hand of detectorists, they area being tested, and as others here have pointed out, we are all waiting for real tests of the machine in real ground conditions.

People are "chomping at the bit," so to speak, to buy one, even before they have been placed on the market.

How many people have already signed up to buy one?

I myself am waiting to hear more about this machine, trying to decide on my next detector purchase. What I usually do is wait for the detector to hit the market, watch the detector forums and YouTube, then make a decision based on that information.

The two videos I saw regarding the "depth" test and iron/non-ferrous target test have already been "called out" by others on this forum.

If the Equinox is half the detector it is claimed to be, I will probably buy one, but before I do, I want to see some real, in ground tests of the machine.

That's all I am asking. :thumbup:

There are a lot of people that feel the same way Greg , baited , if you will but that's just marketing. First Texas will probably do the same thing when they introduce their next latest and greatest and , good grief , look how long XP took to finally come out with their update and new coils!!:thumbdown:AT max is just hitting the streets after months of anticipation as well. I think we will some tests with more credibility with plenty of time before we have to commit funds to pay for pre-ordered units. BTW , I think they failed to fill the hole up when doing their test so it would be easier to get the coin back out , just lazy , might have been a 200 year old coin.:)

[i said:
Greg (E.Tn)"]
that being said, I know that the machines are out there in the hand of detectorists, they are being tested, and as others here have pointed out, we are all waiting for real tests of the machine in real ground conditions.
People are "chomping at the bit," so to speak, to buy one, even before they have been placed on the market.
How many people have already signed up to buy one?
I myself am waiting to hear more about this machine, trying to decide on my next detector purchase. What I usually do is wait for the detector to hit the market, watch the detector forums and YouTube, then make a decision based on that information.
The two videos I saw regarding the "depth" test and iron/non-ferrous target test have already been "called out" by others on this forum.
If the Equinox is half the detector it is claimed to be, I will probably buy one, but before I do, I want to see some real, in ground tests of the machine.
That's all I am asking.[/i] :thumbup:

If I followed the U-Tube videos of the Detectival correctly and understood comments made by the engineer and testers, Minelab has very carefully outlined their roll out of the Equinox, and the information about it, and they expect those participating to follow the plans for the roll out to the letter.

I anticipate Minelab wanting their Test Crews to provide feedback to them so they can get the detector right BEFORE they start posting videos for the entire world to see. If these Alpha testers were allowed to post videos hunting with the prototypes you can bet they'd be on U-Tube right now. We saw some prototypes in use at the Detectival, but under controlled conditions. I think at a given Date/Time, we'll see a rush of Equinox Video Reviews by those who have been testing.

As for information other than videos, there were at least a few comments from those at Detectival that said Minelab was still finalizing the interface. It is kind of difficult to give out information that is accurate on something that isn't completed yet.

For me, I'd settled for some basic tests over buried, AND COVERED, targets, a summary of the MODES with the factory settings and an Introduction to the control panel, settings and detection screens.

The announcement does create some anticipation as we all wait for more knowledge, I have to admit that I am glad it was announced 'early'. I was very close to picking up one of the ALL WEATHER Detectors, but really wanted something that was multi-frequency capable. And here it is. I've been waiting for something just like this to come along. I've been using Minelabs since the introduction of the Explorer XS so I trust they'll have a quality product.

And as with any new detector, when the Equinox does arrive, it is back to the 1st day of detecting school for me, which is always a treat to see what they're capable of doing.

Rich (Utah)

sprchng said:
There are a lot of people that feel the same way Greg , baited , if you will but that's just marketing. First Texas will probably do the same thing when they introduce their next latest and greatest and , good grief , look how long XP took to finally come out with their update and new coils!!:thumbdown:AT max is just hitting the streets after months of anticipation as well. I think we will some tests with more credibility with plenty of time before we have to commit funds to pay for pre-ordered units. BTW , I think they failed to fill the hole up when doing their test so it would be easier to get the coin back out , just lazy , might have been a 200 year old coin.:)

Baited? Seriously? They just introduced a new machine and gave everyone a glimpse as to what it will offer. They could've simply waited until it was rolling off the production line and let everyone know it was out, but they decided to share what they've been working. You don't have to buy it, the preview was free, so baited?? Seriously?

And first texas, wow, they haven't released an innovative flag ship machine since the F75 was released what, ten years ago.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, is it? I didn't say you sounded like a skeptic. I said you sounded like "more than a skeptic", which implies there's something else going on with you. I even suggested you have an ax to grind, because here's the thing - the "deceptive" iron test was a quick demo shot on a camera phone by Brandon Niece. He's a tester for the Nox and Minelab asked him to be present for the reveal. He isn't a Minelab rep, he's not a metal detecting engineer, and he's not the authority on metal detecting. He is a good hunter, has a lot of experience, and did a demo that he thought would help people better understand the machine. The machine was demonstrated to be fast and it could target separate well, including both iron grunts and variable audio response on the coins. Again, the "deceptive" depth test was not an official Minelab demo, and for reasons I've already explained, it's stupid to bury a target at 13 inches and expect the machine to react as it would in real conditions. If you can't understand this, I can't help you. I'm sure Brandon and the other testers would apologize personally for not meeting your rigorous testing requirements.

And you are NOT just asking "fair questions" about a machine that hasn't been released yet. You're getting weird and conspiratorial demanding answers about unofficial videos created by non-ML employees. For you to say that Minelab or anyone else is actively trying to deceive people is just so far out from left field that I can't even begin to understand your reasoning. If you want to see more about the Nox, then wait around until the official/sponsored or review videos start coming out. Until then, can you please stop the needless fake-news about conspiracies and "deception"?

sprchng said:
I doubt any of them have a final version of the Nox yet.
When testers of the Racers and Impact had prototypes they didn't post reviews until they had tested the final production models.
There are several preliminary tests of the new Ford Bronco and Ranger vehicles out but none are in production yet,,,same idea.

Check YouTube, nokta clearly states on casing "prototype"

tyberoz, I think he's just being the "devil's advocate" to spur on conversation. I do that too often time (hence my nick-name "kill-joy"). It's all good. The proof will be in the pudding when we all test them early next year :)

Probably timed these videos to coincide with the release of new detectors from the competition... steal their thunder so to speak

Cal_Cobra said:
sprchng said:

Baited? Seriously? They just introduced a new machine and gave everyone a glimpse as to what it will offer. They could've simply waited until it was rolling off the production line and let everyone know it was out, but they decided to share what they've been working. You don't have to buy it, the preview was free, so baited?? Seriously?

And first texas, wow, they haven't released an innovative flag ship machine since the F75 was released what, ten years ago.

You must have a real problem with the word "baited". How about "teased" instead?:)Isn't all advertising baiting or teasing in a way. No big deal , but everyone would prefer there to be some product available at the end. I suppose we can call this the "Equinox trailer" , coming in December to a venue near you:thumbup:

and yes Fisher is going to announce their new detector that will be like nothing like you've ever seen before any minute now:super:

Do you people not realize what the testers are for? They aren't there to tell us jack or shit about how the detector works! They are there to tell minelab what works and what doesnt so the final product goes out in the best possible form. Everyone bitching about the testers not giving us this, or not giving us that, need to learn how companies work.

TyberOz:

Lighten up dude! You seem to be the one with issues here. The man just asked for some honest video footage. If you think Brandon isn't acting on what Minelab wants, well, your nuts. Do you think he paid his way to Detectival? Do you think he was out back Minelabs tent by accident. Has he had the detector for nine months? Do you really think he will lay down the CTX and use the Equinox as his go to first choice machine? Do you think he did not know the trick with the piece of iron? All this has done for me is raise a red flag and made me back up a bit. I'm sure he had Minelabs blessing on all this footage rather than risk shooting himself in the foot so to speak with Minelab. If everyone wishes to run right out and buy this machine blindly, it's fine with me. After all, it's their hard earned money, but for me, more videos and testing will be needed. After all, I have a CTX which will do all this machine does so no hurry needed. On another note sprchng hit the nail on the head!!! Before you go ballistic this is only my opinion and you are certainly in tittled to yours. Happy Hunting with your new machine should you decide to purchase one.

Good post, and reasonable position "Carolina"!

Jason, to your point about testers, "they aren't there to tell us jack", is I believe, somewhat idealistic.

The now famous, or infamous "parachute" promo declared a couple things by Minelab. One being, that Minelab declared Gary Drayton, Brandon Niece, Derek & Sharon Mclenna, and Neil Jones to be "our experts". The term "our" usually means belonging to. So, as both testers, and representatives of Minelab in it's rollout of the Equinox, any information gleaned during testing (both positive and negative) would be considered proprietary information belonging to Minelab to disclose, or not, as they see fit. That assuming normal disclosure agreements were signed.

As such, any release of information, or public disclosure regarding the Equinox by those individuals, would presumably be at the direction of, or with full knowledge of Minelab officials. Being as Brandon Niece did endeed "tell us jack" e.g., publicly releasing a video, and declaring the Equinox to be his #1 detector over the CTX, or something to that effect. That kind of refutes the "they aren't there to tell us jack" assumption. "Testers" are there to do whatever they agree to do, or not to do, as an orchestrated promotional campaign to release and sell a product.

The other decarations by Minelab in the "parachute" promo, the "NEWS FLASH" that it "OBSOLETES ALL SINGLE FREQ. VLF DETECTORS" and "NEW TECHNOLOGY IS ABOUT TO LAND" simply created much anticipation and conjecture, with lots of questions and woefully few answers, as of yet! Any questions, or requests for details involving those two bold claims (especially the new tech) should be expected. Minelab hung it out there!

I believe a wait and see approach as to new abilities if any, and questions where appropriate, is good way to go.

I understand the role of the tester. I think what has been posed is a fair question in light of what Minelab has chosen to announce.

As was mentioned, was this information release about the new Equinox timed to take some of the wind out of the sails on a couple other new releases by the competition? Seems very possible. Not a thing wrong with smart marketing but don't throw a hissing when it prompts potential buyers, that may have changed their minds and decided to wait rather than buy say the new AT MAX, start wanting to know a little more to justify why they should possibly wait.

If you know me you know I take issue with tester's to begin with. Same tester's, same results, same old same old."This detector [enter name of new detector here] is blah blah blah." I plan to buy a Equinox just based on what I've seen, but I still would love more info if the manufacturer can been convinced it is for the better. We all know what will be released to the public is ONLY the good stuff.