Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

$*&@#% Iron!

duggr

I'm so sick of digging iron with the CTX!! I actually thought about wrapping it around a tree today!

If you came from a Etrac and are familiar with 2 tone ferrous
my email is rrussell2787@gmail.com
I can send you a good combined mlf that work like 2 tone
and a good 50 tone that works close to the Etrac you are used too.

IMO, if you are getting a "dig me, I'm a coin" signal in your hunt mode, and the target isn't in the same exact location when you pinpoint it, it is likely iron. Another technique I use when hunting in a discrimination Pattern is to go back over the same target using a zero discrimination version of that same Pattern, Xing over the target from various directions. You can usually hear the surrounding iron when you're listening to everything, and the "dig me, I'm a coin" signal you were hearing with discrimination won't come from a consistent location. HH Randy

butch in pa said:
If you came from a Etrac and are familiar with 2 tone ferrous
my email is rrussell2787@gmail.com
I can send you a good combined mlf that work like 2 tone
and a good 50 tone that works close to the Etrac you are used too.
Thanks Butch Sent you an Email. ANy help from all of you guy's will help!

Digger said:
IMO, if you are getting a "dig me, I'm a coin" signal in your hunt mode, and the target isn't in the same exact location when you pinpoint it, it is likely iron. Another technique I use when hunting in a discrimination Pattern is to go back over the same target using a zero discrimination version of that same Pattern, Xing over the target from various directions. You can usually hear the surrounding iron when you're listening to everything, and the "dig me, I'm a coin" signal you were hearing with discrimination won't come from a consistent location. HH Randy

Thanks Randy Will keep this in mind. Think I've been a little lazy using this technique..

Just some help to the new CTX people
just like when i had my Etrac I made a program that basically hugged the 12 line.
I air test all my silver coins, wheats, and all major coins of interest and descriminated out 2 lines high and low which doesn't leave alot on the screen which i call my dead on program.
I use this on new site to quickly see what the date range is for the coins there.
You can get used the important tones this way, and quickly finds all the easy coins in the area.
Then keep choosing more open screens to increase your finds.
I use a combined program the most with tones set to my liking which is basically all open with four bins of tones that make sense to your ears.

hope that makes sense.

butch

Haven't had any luck so far

copy the mlf to a folder in your computer
from within the exchange2 programs add the mlf with is i think what you mean
add to a folder first in the exchange program then tranfer to your ctx which is connected to your computer with the usb cable

Hi Doug, I don't know how long you have been using the CTX, but with most new detectors, there is a learning curve and the CTX is not an exception. When learning the CTX, I used both systems described by Butch and Randy. In short time I was digging very little iron and when I did, I usually knew it was iron and I was just hoping I was wrong. Stick it out with the CTX and it will soon become a trusty tool you can believe in. :beers:

Larry
I finding out that the CTX isn't just another Etrac But a Whole new detector...Took me a Year to start catching on to the Etrac (I hunt maybe once a week if i'm fortunate)
I will give the CTX the same courtesy

Duggr,

Are you sure you can't hunt even 20 minutes every day in your own yard or somewhere very close?
It would be nice. I came off the Safari to the CTX and really didn't have that much of a problem once
I learned how to set it up like I wanted it, i.e. tones, reading this forum daily and taking experienced
users advice, got Andy's book and read it, read the manual. In short, I started Aug 1 with it and am still
learning new things about it every week. I even took days where I would go back to my Safari and run
it and found that there were areas of the CTX I needed to get "up and running". It will all fall into place
eventually and you will never look back.

How's the iron treating you Butch and Randy hit it on the head once you pinpoint the targets it becomes second nature and you don't even know your doing it half the time . sube

sube said:
How's the iron treating you Butch and Randy hit it on the head once you pinpoint the targets it becomes second nature and you don't even know your doing it half the time . sube
Half my problem is just not trusting the CTX as of this time. I dug a lot of nails that I though were nails but just wanted to make sure.
Those bent nails in the shape of a V or Half circle are the real problem. I would have bet the detector that was a good target..I'll get it figured out.
My biggest problem is only getting the time to use and learn the CTX once every week or two. Seems like starting all over after not detecting for awhile. Thats
the reason I video some hunts to refresh my memory.

Go to near the top of this page and you'll see a link to the CTX3030 Resource Center. Lots of good information over there, including "how to" videos such as these:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?87,1899691,1899691#msg-1899691

duggr said:
Those bent nails in the shape of a V or Half circle are the real problem. I would have bet the detector that was a good target..I'll get it figured out.

I fought that same battle until I came up with a solution that works well for me. Here is a link to a post I made regarding that issue.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2162366,2162388#msg-2162388

Digger said:
duggr said:

I fought that same battle until I came up with a solution that works well for me. Here is a link to a post I made regarding that issue.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2162366,2162388#msg-2162388
Thanks Digger will check it out !!

Digger said:
Go to near the top of this page and you'll see a link to the CTX3030 Resource Center. Lots of good information over there, including "how to" videos such as these:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?87,1899691,1899691#msg-1899691
That will be a Big help! Thanks Digger!!

bklein said:
Are you using ferrous coin mode? I've seen it move junk targets into the 12 range.
Yes!. I'm going to start checking each signals using different Ground Modes..

I use FC most of the time and have few problems with nails. Turn on your target trace. When you get a signal, look at the target pattern. If it looks like a random "shotgun" pattern, it's iron. A solid target gives a solid point. Also, a target pinpointing to the side of where you detect it is another iron indicator. With time you will learn, you just have put in the hours. Pay close attention to how every target behaves and what it is when dug up.