Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is 12-02 usually can slaw?

stitchlips

I have had a little bit of time with my new CTX. What a difference coming from the Excal. The CTX makes you dig really deep. I have noticed a pattern with can slaw. It is almost always 12-02. Is it safe to say skip 12-02 tones on a can slaw infested beach or will I be missing some really good stuff?

12-02 could also be a ring. Go the the 3030 resource forum and look at the ring tid posts.

Could be gold or I've seen nickel three cent pieces come in that low too.

Dirt hunting, I skip the foil but beach hunting, good finds can fall into that area, small gold, platinum and chains. You are playing the odds in your favor on the beach, especially with easy sand scoop retrieval.

The only problem I have with these 12-02 targets is the beach I hunt is mostly really hard packed sand. You have to stand on your scoop and move it back and forth just to get it to go down a few inches. Some of these targets with the CTX are coming in at over a foot down in this hard packed sand and it is not unusual to find 30 of these scenarios in one hunt. The beach was "renourished" about 4 years ago and with all that sand came all the can slaw. It was easy to avoid then, but all of that sand has now spread all over the clean areas of the beach too. It makes it hard to hunt, but that is the nature of the beast. The excal didn't even pick a lot of these smaller deeper targets up.

The beach is somewhat stable and I can really crank the sens almost to the max. I dug a quarter at over 2 feet. I couldn't believe it. This machine can go deep and this is with the stock 11 inch coil. I couldn't imagine how deep the 17 inch coil must go. I would be digging to China with that thing.

If the digging is that tough, it might not be worth the effort. :shrug:

I read your third post about the hard sand so it makes me change my post a bit. Normally in soft sand you can discriminate by depth. Gold Platinum rarely stays on top 2/3 inches. but in you case that's out the window. You can use the PP on the 3030 to determine depth accuracy. That is you can sweep in normal mode and get a depth reading.Then in PP and if your consistent in your sweep the PP will truly show the items depth! In discriminate foils and can slaw with show upwards of 4/6 inches but when you PP it wit show 2, and lack the strength in tone as compared to a solid target.
Numbers aren't your first choice to discriminate with tone and numbers and passed practices come into play.
BCNJ

Buried Crap NJ said:
I read your third post about the hard sand so it makes me change my post a bit. Normally in soft sand you can discriminate by depth. Gold Platinum rarely stays on top 2/3 inches. but in you case that's out the window. You can use the PP on the 3030 to determine depth accuracy. That is you can sweep in normal mode and get a depth reading.Then in PP and if your consistent in your sweep the PP will truly show the items depth! In discriminate foils and can slaw with show upwards of 4/6 inches but when you PP it wit show 2, and lack the strength in tone as compared to a solid target.
Numbers aren't your first choice to discriminate with tone and numbers and passed practices come into play.
BCNJ

Thanks! That really makes a lot of sense. I have not even been looking at the screen when I use pinpoint so I was not aware the depth was still being displayed. I have been using pinpoint size and it seems to be working very well. Now I just need to pay more attention the screen during pinpoint mode.

Id say close too a 12 - ??????? and its a repeatable signal dig it, mickfin

Most of the time can slaw has a bouncy tone. That has been my experience anyway. Gold is usually a real sweet mellow tone. I don't hear it as often as I would like too but these old beach hunters know. I agree with these other guys if in doubt dig it out. You may need a different scoop maybe a stainless lip to get through the top crust. Sounds like you are on the east coast. By the way a gold dollar will come in at 12-01 or 12-02. Just keep digging the least that can happen is you will have arms big as Pop-Eyes. :goodnight: HH :minelab:

hershey1 said:
Most of the time can slaw has a bouncy tone. That has been my experience anyway. Gold is usually a real sweet mellow tone. I don't hear it as often as I would like too but these old beach hunters know. I agree with these other guys if in doubt dig it out. You may need a different scoop maybe a stainless lip to get through the top crust. Sounds like you are on the east coast. By the way a gold dollar will come in at 12-01 or 12-02. Just keep digging the least that can happen is you will have arms big as Pop-Eyes. :goodnight: HH :minelab:

Ha ha. I like that. Good ole Popeye.

I am on the East coast of Florida. I have a stainless steel Nuttall scoop and I did manage a tiny silver ring today. The 1st with the CTX.